Author Topic: Error When Launching VC  (Read 3544 times)

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Error When Launching VC
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
No languages suitable for speech were found. If you are sure you have languages installed that support speech recognition, then you might need to run as administrator.

Of course I have languages installed. This just started happening. VC worked fine earlier.

Oh, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Error When Launching VC
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Can you tell us a little bit about your system and your installation?  What might have changed between when it was working and now?

Most importantly, in what folder is VC installed.

You best have a looksy at my signature...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:40:46 PM »
Meanwhile you can try to run VC "as administrator" and it might not hurt to reboot.

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
Hey James. I have a windows 8.1 system. VC is installed in it's own folder on the desktop. I have made absolutely no changes at all. No downloads or anything.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
In a different thread I see you saying that you're using VC1 (you don't say which version -- is it 1.191?).

Anyhow, assuming that's still the case, please let us know what happens once you've rebooted and tried running VC as administrator as James suggested above.

To run VC as administrator:

Open your VC folder to find the VoxCommando.exe file.

Right-Click VoxCommando.exe and select "Run as Administrator"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:16:40 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »
Thanks Naomi! I will try the admin thing when I get back to that computer. Yes I am running 1.1.9.1 at the moment.

On a side not where is the best place for someone as ignorant as I am about this stuff to learn in detail how to build VC?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »
Haha, I think here is the best place: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Learn_how_to_use_VoxCommando   ;)

@nime: maybe it is a good idea to rename the "WIKI" button in "Tutorial"   ::hmm  ::duh
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:44:43 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »
Kalle,

Thanks. It just seems that there is soooooo much here that is possible. I just need to learn the basics. For example I just watched James's video on setting up skype. He lost me when he started dragging events I think he called it into the editor. I was not able to do that because I only have one skype contact which is my fiance. So I did not have an incomming call to drag or a message event to drag. So what does one do in this case? I was able to get the part to be able to make a call set up though :)

Also I downloaded some of the xml files from the xml exchange posts. I put them in a dedicated folder on my desktop. I clicked edit at the top and tried to drag them into vox  but it just would not happen. Followed James instructions in his youtube vid to a T. Not sure what is going wrong.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:46:37 PM by pmdaniels73 »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »
If you click on "wiki" above, it will take you to the home page of the wiki documentation. There you will see "Learn How to Use VoxCommando". Start following that trail. It links to introductory documentation, video tutorials, etc.

Start by trying to understand the fundamentals, making your way through the introductory videos and documentation with its screenshots while looking at specific commands in your own configuration, so that you can start to get an understanding of how each command is working.

That would be my suggestion.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
And you will find the basics in the WIKI and many other helpful information about VC.  :bignod

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
Also I downloaded some of the xml files from the xml exchange posts. I put them in a dedicated folder on my desktop. I clicked edit at the top and tried to drag them into vox  but it just would not happen. Followed James instructions in his youtube vid to a T. Not sure what is going wrong.

Not all xml files are command groups which you can import in the VC editor. Some of the xml files are payloads (in payloads is stored variables, phrases) and it is need to save in a folder which is specified as path in the command. Normaly all XML exchanges have a description.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Payloads

and take also a look in this video on 18:07 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPyfxpXRr9Q
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:14:13 PM by Kalle »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
So I did not have an incomming call to drag or a message event to drag. So what does one do in this case? I was able to get the part to be able to make a call set up though :)
It is easier and less prone to human error if you can generate an event so that you can then simply drag it from the history panel to your command. But if that's not possible, you can manually create the event. So, if you're careful about noting the name of the event that James shows in the video (e.g. Skype.Chat.cmsReceived), you can create an event using the same method as if you are creating a command phrase from scratch or a payload. Label it properly, and it should work.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Command_Tree_Editor

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Customizing_Commands

Also I downloaded some of the xml files from the xml exchange posts. I put them in a dedicated folder on my desktop. I clicked edit at the top and tried to drag them into vox  but it just would not happen. Followed James instructions in his youtube vid to a T. Not sure what is going wrong.

"some xml files" is a difficult phrase for us to interpret. What kind of files? Were they command groups or individual comands or payload files? Can you tell us which files exactly?

"clicked edit at the top" is also a challenge.

I assume you mean that you clicked edit within VoxCommando, but you just mentioned that you created a dedicated folder, and an open folder window also has an "edit" option, so maybe you mean that?

When you dragged the file into VoxCommando, did you drag it into the command tree editor window or somewhere else?

When you say, "it just would not happen", what does that mean? Did you get a message of some kind? Did you see something happen? What were you expecting to see and what did you see?

:) I know it's a pain, but language is so ambiguous and there are so many things that you could be doing. It's really important to imagine that we're flying blind and we need you to navigate us to the landing strip if you want us to give you the best support possible.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:36:48 PM by nime5ter »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
Also, maybe you mean that you put a bunch of xml files into a "dedicated folder", and then tried to drag that one folder into the command tree.

That's another way I could interpret your description. ... If you did that, then that would definitely be the problem.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
If xml is posted as a code block (which you can read directly on the forum) then you can't save it to a file.  YOu should copy and paste the xml directly without using a saved file. It only makes sense to drag a file into your tree if someone has actually attached an xml file to their post as a file.

It is a good point, that not all xml files are groups of commands.  Usually if the filename starts with "VcGrp_" then you should be able to drag the file into your command tree.  Otherwise the file is probably something else like a payloadXML file.  VC exports groups using VcGrp_GroupName.xml as the filename by default but people might rename them.  It is best to read the post and act accordingly rather than downloading a bunch of files without knowing where they came from.

If you want to watch an instructional video a good place to start is with Tutorial 1A and 1B.  You might also find the fireside chats helpful.  Then if you scour the wiki after watching these it will probably make more sense to you.  You should try to experiment with basic stuff like creating your own command with a phrase you choose, and getting the computer to respond to you with OSD or TTS actions.  Try experimenting with different ways to define the phrases that trigger your commands.  Diving in with skype is trying to run before you can walk.

It is not always easy, but once you start to get the hang of it, figuring stuff out is more than half of the fun.  And the more you learn, the better you will be able to describe problems when you have them, in a way that allows us to help you more efficiently.

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:47 AM »
I tried the three that Naomi posted for the time etc and the ducking one that Kalle posted.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 02:40:59 AM »
Hmm, did you mean this command group? http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=870.msg7149#msg7149
If yes, you need a android device with installed VoxWav app which you will find in the "google playstore" and also the TcpMic plugin in VC must be activated.

If you want use "ducking" without a android device, you can test the following command group which will softmute xbmc and mediamonkey when your VC is in standby and you speak the prefix first. After the spoken command, VC will softunmute XBMC and Mediamonkey. You can drag and drop the command group code from here direct in your VC commandtree editor.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<commandGroup open="True" name="VC prefix start-end" enabled="True" prefix="" priority="0" requiredProcess="" description="">
  <command id="257" name="start prefix event" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <if ifBlockDisabled="False" ifNot="False">
      <ifType>ProcessRunning</ifType>
      <ifParams>MediaMonkey&amp;&amp;</ifParams>
      <then>
        <action>
          <cmdType>MM.SoftMute</cmdType>
          <cmdString>10</cmdString>
          <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
        </action>
      </then>
      <else />
    </if>
      <ifParams>XBMC&amp;&amp;</ifParams>
      <then>
        <action>
          <cmdType>XJson.SoftMute</cmdType>
          <cmdString>60</cmdString>
          <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
        </action>
      </then>
      <else />
    </if>
    <event>VC.Prefix.Start</event>
  </command>
  <command id="341" name="end prefix event" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
      <ifParams>MediaMonkey&amp;&amp;</ifParams>
      <then>
        <action>
          <cmdType>MM.SoftUnmute</cmdType>
          <cmdString />
          <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
        </action>
      </then>
      <else />
    </if>
      <ifParams>XBMC&amp;&amp;</ifParams>
      <then>
        <action>
          <cmdType>XJson.SoftUnMute</cmdType>
          <cmdString />
          <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
        </action>
      </then>
      <else />
    </if>
    <event>VC.Prefix.End</event>
  </command>
</commandGroup>

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 05:58:32 AM »
I figured out the xml files. I had to click file and open once i clicked edit in the vox screen. Took a while but I got it. Thanks guys and gals

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 07:33:24 AM »
If you click File > Open in the command tree editor and then browse to the xml files of interest, VC will open a second MDI window (http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=MDI_editor_interface) and import the commands there. Then you can drag that command group into your main tree. So you did that over and over for the various command groups?

But that should not be necessary. It should have worked for you like this: http://www.screencast.com/t/VxJI8BC1LyE

It's still not clear to me whether you were seeing specific messages or not when you tried -- without success -- to drag the files directly into your tree, as per the messages in the link above.

Anyhow, as long as you found a solution that works for you.

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »
Naomi,

This is exactly what I tried over and over and over. I was not able to get it to work this way.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »
Let's just end it here.  This thread is going nowhere.

This thread was originally about having trouble running VC on windows 8

You never told us if you got that sorted, but I guess you must have if you are trying to import xml groups.

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
Sorry James. I guess this thread did get a little off track. When I run as admin I just get  message asking if I want to let VC control my computer. But yes it works fine when I click "ok" on that message. So all is good with that.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »
Thanks for letting us know.  You may be able to avoid this by either:

- changing the location of your VC install folder (e.g. to c:\Voxcommando\install01) instead of putting it on the desktop
- disabling UAC (user account control)
- making sure your account that you sign in to windows with is an administrative account.

Of course the 2nd and 3rd options are theoretically reducing the security of your system, but it is how I prefer to use Windows.  The first option (changing the folder) is a long shot but is probably a better location anyway.

This appear to be a windows 8 bug that only affects certain users.  For some reason Windows decides that it won't give us access to the speech recognition engines without having elevated privileges.  I have no idea why it does that.  It does not make any sense, and has never been an issue with Windows 7.  Probably someone at Microsoft made a mistake when trying to plug up some other security hole.  I am not aware of any way that we can get around it other than to run with elevated privileges.  The best I was able to do in the programming was to detect the situation and provide a meaningful error message which suggests a solution.