Author Topic: XBMC, EventGhost and Lights  (Read 10708 times)

lja

• View Profile
XBMC, EventGhost and Lights
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
Is it possible to have the lights turned off when the command "play" is given in Vox Commando?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 05:19:40 PM by lja »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: XBMC, EventGhost and Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:06:01 PM »
Yes.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »
Yes.

OK Thanks. I will do some more research and hopefully find a way.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
This kind of thing is exactly what VC is designed for.

The issue is more to do with hardware. Obviously, some kind of automated lighting is needed, whether it's a Hue light or a Belkin Wemo, or Z-wave lights with a Vera controller, or X-10 lights, etc.

You mention Eventghost in your subject line, but it's not clear why. VoxCommando can communicate directly with a variety of home automation devices, so Eventghost *may* be necessary, or not.

The details of how such a VC command would be built will depend on specifics of your hardware, and the conditions under which you want this scenario (i.e., every time a "play movie" XBMC command is issued, or only in certain circumstances).
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »
This kind of thing is exactly what VC is designed for.

The issue is more to do with hardware. Obviously, some kind of automated lighting is needed, whether it's a Hue light or a Belkin Wemo, or Z-wave lights with a Vera controller, or X-10 lights, etc.

You mention Eventghost in your subject line, but it's not clear why. VoxCommando can communicate directly with a variety of home automation devices, so Eventghost *may* be necessary, or not.

The details of how such a VC command would be built will depend on specifics of your hardware, and the conditions under which you want this scenario (i.e., every time a "play movie" XBMC command is issued, or only in certain circumstances).

Thanks @Nime5ter for taking the time to provide the info. I do not normally use XBMC but after purchasing Vox and reading on this forum I wanted to try some of the things I saw here. I am a long time user of MediaBrowser. However I have now set up XBMC as I wanted to try the voice controlled approach which is not yet available for MediaBrowser. Currently I have it mostly working on XBMC with my remote where play turns off the lights on start of movie, dims at pause, turns on lights on stop  of movie. This is using EventGhost. My lights are controlled by Smartlinc 2412n. I am therefore looking to voice control with Vox to perform the same process as the remote. I will continue the search.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:54:09 AM »
Hi lja, please try the forum search with insteon and you will find all for what you looking for.
You can use the scrape action in VC to get access to the insteon API and you will find how the command looks like with examples here (thanks to nime5ter): http://www.leftovercode.info/smartlinc.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:03:58 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
If you are already using EventGhost anyway it might be easier to send a message to EventGhost.

If you could tell us more about what you already have set up (in some detail) it will be easier for us to help.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »
Hi lja, please try the forum search with insteon and you will find all for what you looking for.
You can use the scrape action in VC to get access to the insteon API and you will find how the command looks like with examples here (thanks to nime5ter): http://www.leftovercode.info/smartlinc.html

Thanks Kalle. I have already and am still reading some of the insteon info on the forum. Tried scrape action: http://192.168.1.200/3?02621D1E3B0F11FF=I=3 However no luck. The relative info was changed to mine. Thanks for the link. Will review.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
The url you post does not include a port number. Aussie mate mentions in a follow-up thread that he had to specify the port number for his Insteon hub, so you cold try that if you haven't yet.

See: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1395.msg12148;topicseen#msg12148

See also: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1423.0 (linked to from the Home Automation page of the wiki)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:23:32 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »
Thanks to
@nime5ter
@jitterjames
@kalle

With your help and lots of reading, it is almost where I want it. I now have the basic actions working. It seems my main problem was the port. After resetting the port it all started to work. Thanks for your help.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
The attached turns off lights when the movie starts. I would like to be able to turn the lights on when the movie ends. Is there a way to do this? I have the info for the scrape action to turn the lights on. If so can you help?

XBMC:Gotham 13.2
Vox: 2.007

Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:13:01 AM by lja »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
Yes, you can use the event that is generated when XBMC stops playing a movie. (The same could be done for turning the light off, as an event is generated when a movie starts as well.)

e.g. when a movie stops playing in XBMC, it should be generating the event: XBMC.Player.OnStop.movie.

Then your command would just have whatever actions you want to happen when the movie stops, such as turning the lights on.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Events
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Video_Tutorials

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »
Thanks nime5ter. I had tried the XBMC.Player.OnStop.movie without luck, but after rereading the wiki you posted got it to work. Still playing with XBMC while waiting for a Mediabrowser plugin hopefully sometime in the not too distant future.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
Thanks nime5ter. I had tried the XBMC.Player.OnStop.movie without luck, but after rereading the wiki you posted got it to work. Still playing with XBMC while waiting for a Mediabrowser plugin hopefully sometime in the not too distant future.

@nime5ter
No longer working.
I noticed that the group XBMC Notifications and Events has a command XBMC.Player.OnPlay.movie listed, is this the proper location for XBMC.Player.OnStop.movie?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
@nime5ter
No longer working.

This is a meaningless statement which will accomplish nothing.

I noticed that the group XBMC Notifications and Events has a command XBMC.Player.OnPlay.movie listed, is this the proper location for XBMC.Player.OnStop.movie?

What are you asking?  Are you asking which group to put your new command in?

Why don't you tell us what you have done, and try to explain what is actually happening.  Maybe post your xml or some screenshots or a log or something.