Author Topic: Link into Homeseer  (Read 8099 times)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Link into Homeseer
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
Nice to know you're having good luck with your x10 solution. It's great info for others, who can try to follow your lead.

IMHO - if someone could make a Voxcommando plugin for Insteon and/or Zwave you may find more HA people using voxcommando as there is a need for good VR system for HA but not many around. even HS VR is pretty average and limited.
I know Insteon is HTTP based so I would think it wouldn't be too hard.

I believe at least one VC user is controlling his Insteon devices via Universal Device's ISY99, which has a REST API and can therefore be controlled via the good old scrape action, as per usual.

The unfortunate reality is that to develop plugins, one needs to have the devices in question to do proper testing. HA hardware is expensive, so unless Insteon users with programming skills would like to develop a plugin for VC themselves (which anyone is more than welcome to do), I think it's understandable that James's plugin priorities have been toward supporting relevant technologies that can't already be controlled by existing, standard VC features in some way -- even if not always in the black box/no effort needed way that many end users would prefer.

The other option might be for a group of users who are looking for custom solutions to work together to pledge a certain monetary amount to cover the cost of the hardware and some of the development time. I suspect that would help to make plugin development for the myriad devices out there much more feasible.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

aussie mate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
Yes - I saw this page a few days ago. getting the device ID is simple - they are normally on the device and also you can see them via the smarthome app.
most people have a smartlink or Hub but the programming is basically the same. - once you know the ip address of the Hub - it may be as simple as sending a HTTP code.

Go Manly, NSW & the All Blacks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
If it works that would be great.  Please let us know if you can control it that way.  It is not as elegant as a full plugin but it is a good start.  Let me know if I can help.  I think it will be more reliable than using X10, and perhaps you could build on to it with more sophisticated control later on.

aussie mate

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 02:36:15 AM »
I agree that Insteon is more reliable than x10
I will have a play around over the weekend  to see what I can get working & will post the results here.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
Quote from: aussie mate on Today at 01:36:15 am
I agree that Insteon is more reliable than x10

That is quite true but I was not actually saying that Insteon was more reliable than X10.

I meant that using X10 to make VC communicate with HomeSeer was not reliable or efficient compared to sending commands directly to HomeSeer via HTTP.  X10 is extremely unreliable, and in any case, not everyone will have an X10 device (CM15A) or want to connect it to the VC machine via USB.

It is more complicated to install the X10 plugin in VC and then use it to send messages to HomeSeer via a very unreliable and antiquated powerline uni-directional message system when we can use HTTP, which should normally be 100% reliable, faster, more powerful, and requires no additional hardware beyond what you are already using with HomeSeer, be that Insteon, ZWave, Zigbee, X10 or whatever.

Nime5ter has discovered that there is also an excellent HTTP server plugin available for HomeSeer 2.5
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:55:08 PM by nime5ter »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 04:55:35 PM »
Nime5ter has discovered that there is also an excellent HTTP server plugin available for HomeSeer 2.5

"Excellent" is probably an overstatement, but it seems quite functional to me. I could only test it hypothetically using virtual devices and events. I tested it with HomeseerPro 2.5.

If anyone using HS2 wants to give it a try, I've posted some sample commands here: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1405.0
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:38:56 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

m0v1em4n

• View Profile
    • My home Cinema
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Thanks nime5ter,

looks like you have been working very hard on this, would love to include it in my VC but I am migrating over to HS3 at the moment, And don't think there is  a TenHsServer version for HS3

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »

Then use the one at the top of the thread...  She is posting alternative information for those that do not have HS3.

aussie mate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 06:58:13 PM »
I just tested using the "Scrape" command in VC to send commands direct to the Insteon Hub and they work.

the only tricky thing is for the Hub - you may need to put the port number after the ip address, in my case it is 25106
ie "http://192.168.1.7:25106/3?0262222CF70F13FF=I=3"