Author Topic: HELP - Voxcommando is not working  (Read 8033 times)

Svu79

• View Profile
HELP - Voxcommando is not working
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
I just dl XBMC frodo and Voxcommando Trial Version. Trying to understand this software so that I can set up a home automation. I followed the installation video and I was able to command "Go Home" and "Play Song Drake" once. But I am no longer able to command anything now. It keeps showing me VC.NotRecognized. Can someone help me please.

At times I am not evening saying anything and it would show "that's ?? (xbmc simple actions)" or "Tab (something)".

Should I uninstall everything and try again? I am not even sure how many commands I have left for the trial version. I really want this to work out before I pull the trigger on buying the license. Thanks!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: HELP - Voxcommando is not working
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
The demo does not ever run out.  You just need to restart it now and then.

Svu79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
I am saying "ignore me" and it still doesnt register? Still shows VC.NotRecognized.

Is it my Mic? I am using the Logitech camera mic.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:08:44 PM »
It is possible that it is your microphone, or it could be something else.  It is kind of hard for us to know.

Take a look here and get back to us.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=FAQ#Why_doesn.27t_VC_understand_me_all_the_time.3F

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »
If you're still having trouble after working your way through the FAQ possibilities, can you please record yourself saying some basic commands, and upload the wav file here to the forum?

That may help us to figure out potential issues. Please make sure it's a wav file, though.

If you don't have a way to record wavs, you can download a RecordPad trial: http://www.nch.com.au/recordpad/index.html. Small program, so it should take just a second to download and install.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Svu79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:36:36 AM »
I am pretty sure my voice is ok and should register. I notice that it would register whatever I say perfectly if I let it sit and not command anything for 5 mins.

Svu79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 04:46:43 AM »
Recorded myself saying "Pay Attention" and "Go Home".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:09:56 PM by Svu79 »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:48:58 AM »
Hi Svu79 and welcome to the VC-Forum. Did you have tried any other mic with success? If it is possible, set the mic input to a lower level. I noticed also, that you have a delay between your spoken phrase and the level indicator in VoxCommando (the green bar at the bottom) it looks like your machine is busy with other processes. Can you show us a screenshoot from the "Option Menu" in VoxCommando?

here is a short video that will show you the difference between a low- and high mic input level in VC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2QUP3YIGYE

You can test VC also with Tellvox from the file menu - run Tellvox and type in pay attention and click send. If VC switch to green mode there is everything ok with your commands.

I hope this will help you
Kalle
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:46:50 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »
If lowering your input and speaking at a normal level from a moderate distance does not help, then please upload a WAV file recorded using the same microphone that you are using with VoxCommando.  

It is possible there is a problem with your microphone, or it might just be the level is too high. Check advanced settings for your microphone and turn all extra options off. Specifically, anything to do with beam forming, echo cancellation, or noise cancellation should be turned off to start with.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:00:22 AM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
I noticed also, that you have a delay between your spoken phrase and the level indicator in VoxCommando (the green bar at the bottom) it looks like your machine is busy with other processes.

I think the delay is from your playback.  I had the same issue when I watched on my tablet. On a PC it was normal.

Svu79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
It is possibly my mic and levels. I was able to get commands "Pay Attention" and "Ignore Me" in pretty well and fast for a sec after I adjusted my levels. However, once I got a song playing ....it was hard to get the command "Stop" to work.

Attached .wav file

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
I've tested your recorded wav file in VoxCommando and everything works fine. The mic quality is really good and sounds clear. I've no idea what is wrong with your VC. You can try to install VC again, perhaps that might help.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:27:47 PM by Kalle »

Svu79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
Ok I adjusted the levels and everything works as long as I get the webcam/mic and speak closely to it, which kind of defeats the purpose. It does not recognize commands when the webcam is hanging on top of my monitor. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate you guys helping me out. This is a fun experiment and very awesome.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:28:04 PM by Svu79 »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
Ok, closely is 2-3 feet from the mic and normal for a Webcam mic. You can take a look here how other microphones works with VC.  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvOHRgLlzw1rdEM0c2tpTjdGTkhPaXBTWENjc3JMNEE&usp=sharing

We unfortunately can only help you with the Software. If it is possible test it with a other mic.

If you have a android device you can install "VoxWav" on it. More info here: http://voxwav.wikispaces.com/VoxWav+Home
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 02:47:03 PM by Kalle »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
Ok I adjusted the levels and everything works as long as I get the webcam/mic and speak closely to it, which kind of defeats the purpose. It does not recognize commands when the webcam is hanging on top of my monitor. Any suggestions?

Earlier you mentioned that with the lowered input levels your commands were recognized until you started playing music. Is that still the main problem?

You haven't described much about your set-up, so my next point may or may not be relevant: if you're hanging the microphone off of your monitor and the music/audio is also coming out of speakers on your computer monitor (or somewhere near the mic), that's going to be problematic. You always want to be able to minimize background noise and foreground your voice when it comes to speech recognition.

As Kalle says, there's little one can do about that from a software perspective. The issue will be finding a suitable hardware setup. So, if there's a feasible way for you to keep your audio out as far as possible from your microphone, that's the way to go.

That said, if the main challenge is having Vox understand you when there's music playing and otherwise your room is pretty quiet, the one software-related solution you can try is "ducking" (as you probably saw in the FAQ). If you search the forum you'll find a bunch of posts on different ducking options.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:15:19 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)