Author Topic: Can't get it to work at all... (unable to start speech recognition engine error)  (Read 2488 times)

lanos

• View Profile
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but here goes......

I'm new here, I recently decided to dive into the world of voice control (Media Browser support was what finally convinced me). So I went and got a kinect hooked up to the PC and installed VoxCommando. Only problem is every time I open VoxCommando I get this error

I've spent 2 days trying to fix it, I've searched all over the forums and google still no luck. Can someone please try and point me in the right direction on how to make this work
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:55:31 PM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Can't get it to work at all... (unable to start speech recognition engine)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:06:40 PM »
Are you able to use Windows built in speech recognition?  Because the error makes me think that you don't have any language packs installed that support speech recognition.

What version of Windows are you using, and in what language?

You could also post a log, or if you post a screenshot, let us see the history window.  Right now it is blocked by your error message window.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:55:57 PM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 05:12:59 PM »
One thing you can try, especially if you are on Windows 8:

You might need to disable UAC or run as Administrator.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:56:13 PM by nime5ter »

lanos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »
I'm on windows 7 Home Premium, English U.S., I can use the windows speech recognition software, and as for the history/log this error pops up before the history actually starts and populates. When I close the error box the history then just repeats "events list has not been loaded yet" over and over again
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:56:33 PM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
That's pretty weird.  I suggest you try to disable UAC and run as administrator first.  Otherwise, I don't really know.  Because you are on Win7 home premium, you can't really install any new language packs.

If you need help I can come take a look on Teamviewer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:56:44 PM by nime5ter »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
You can also try replacing the options.xml file in your VOX folder with the attached, and then launch VoxCommando again.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.

In options is where we specify the display language and speech recognizer culture. It should be using your en-us by default when you first launch an English configuration, but maybe something funny is happening.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:56:54 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

lanos

• View Profile
Well still no luck turned of uac, ran as admin and switched options xml still nothin  guess no VoxComando until I build my next PC :(

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Are you able to open VoxCommando options after you close the error message?  If so, are there any languages listed under the "Speech Recognizer Culture" dropdown?

This is an unusual error that I've only seen once before so it does seem to be something funny with your system.  The resolution last time was to reinstall Windows.  http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1615.msg14129#msg14129

That user did not have the error with the SP version of VoxCommando though. You can always try VoxCommando SP.  It uses a different engine so there is a good chance it will work.  There are a few things you need to install first but it's pretty easy to do.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Version_2#Choice_of_speech_engines

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=MS_Speech_Platform

Or if you want I can try to do some trouble-shooting on your system via TeamViewer to see if I can figure something out.

It is a actually possible to install language packs on Windows Home Premium with a bit of a hack so if you are up for it that might also help.  Installing En-GB might fix it... or might not.  ::confused