Author Topic: General help setting up  (Read 10087 times)

hawsey

• View Profile
General help setting up
« on: October 05, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »
Hi all,
first of all many thanks to jitterjames for such an amazing piece of software , very excited about this ..(you tube vids are awesome)
I need help , i have xbmc (download off main site) on my laptop running W7
Also the latest Vox Commando , i think i have VC seeing XBMC as when i click generate xml it sees albums/ artists / movies (displays how many i have )
I dont know what i am doing to be honest  ???
How do i get xbmc to launch when i say " Launch xbmc "
Then when i say " Music " open my music in xbmc up.
I am sure if i am shown how to do it i will pick it up fast ,
Thanks in advance :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: General help setting up
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
Welcome hawsey.  Yes, I think it's pretty easy once you get pointed in the right direction.  That's the idea anyway!

Before I try to help you, have you looked at the XBMC for Dummies thread in the forum?  You can find it here:
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=91.0

You should use the version of VC that is zipped and attached to that post as "VoxCommandoXBMC 0_825 EN.zip"

If you have already done that and are still having problems post back here and we'll try to figure it out.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
also, if you are new to XBMC I suggest you start with XBMC Dharma beta2 rather than the older 9.1 version.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:45:49 PM by jitterjames »

hawsey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
Hi
well yes i am the Dummy in question  :-[
downloaded the right version now and i can now " Launch XBMC "
my wife has now neen VoxCommando widowed  :) saw a post on her face book " my husband is sitting at the computer saying " play Bob chuffing Dylan " he he he very funny but true
Been obsessed with xbmc for about 4 years now , this is some very nice icing ont top of the xbmc cake for me
Thanks so much for the speedy reply James
I have xbmc on my main pc with a1tb hd attached via usb , wirelessed to the router across the room which has an old xbox attached hooked up to amp / tv etc which i use as my HTPC , i am going to mess around tonight to see if VC can control that via my pc ...............................

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »
most of the commands should work, but the scroll commands would need to be modifed because they use keyboard emulation.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
I think we are all in the same boat.  So far VoxCommando has a pretty low WAF.  My wife was also complaining to our friends that I don't talk to her anymore, only to my computer.  Oh and the dog of course...

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
OK, I'll take the bait, jittermeister, if only to say that vox isn't generally the one suffering from low WAF; it's husbands who end up low on WAF when they engage 24/7 in the aurally grating ritual of repeating the same phrase over and over and over and over to the vox box.  :P

(Just kidding, baby. You know I love you and your many faces of genius.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:55:55 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:09:04 PM »
I never should have validated your account... ;)

Badgertronic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm having the same problem as hawsey. I have the latest version of XBMC and have downloaded vox commando from the download page. I have followed the setup guide and read the XBMC for dummies guide. The two programmes seem to communicate as the vox commando recognises movies etc when generating xml. All ports are setup properly but that's as far as it goes. I cannot get vox commando to actually affect xbmc. Having read the reply to hawsey the only thing I can see is that it's a slightly different version of vc as "VoxCommandoXBMC 0_825 EN.zip" no longer appears to be on the xbmc for dummies post.

Can someone please help. I have no doubt that it's something i'm doing but I cannot figure out what.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
What is the "latest" version of xbmc?  that terminology is generally not very helpful, since you might just *think* you've got the latest version, and there are a lot of different versions out there. :)

I recommend Dharma beta 2.  Dharma beta 3 is probably fine too, but I haven't tested it yet.

Did you set the username, password, and port to match between xbmc and VoxCommando? 

Is it possible you have a firewall blocking you?

Are you running xbmc and Voxcommando on the same computer or on two separate machines?

I just checked and the "VoxCommandoXBMC 0_825 EN.zip" is in fact still there on the first post of the XBMC for dummies thread, so I recommend you start by downloading that.

Badgertronic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
Hey jitterjames,

Thanks for the speedy reply and apologies for any vagueness. I am using xbmc 9.11 - Dharma Beta 3.

Passwords / ports set ok etc

no firewall isssues

same pc

"VoxCommandoXBMC 0_825 EN.zip".......whoops, oh yeah. :-[ - I've downloaded am and currently in the process of setting this up but looks promising. I have already established that it works with some rudimentary commands.

Everything seemds to be fine until i restart after generating xml. "unhandled exception has occured in your application.....'one-of must contain at least on item'

What am I doing wrong now? :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
OK.  that one is not your fault.  :D  VC should catch that error and continue.  Are you able to continue?  I think I fixed that in subsequent versions.

I think was it happening is that one of your xmls that is generated is empty.  When you run GenXML you will probably find that one of them returns 0.

You could add a dummy value to that xml file by hand if you want, or remove the command that is using the xml.

If you run GenXML and verify that none of them are returning 0 then please get back to me and I'll have to look into it further.

The next version that I post will be able to handle this error more gracefully.

If you want you could also zip up your whole folder and email it to james@voxcommando.com and I will take a look. Note that you need to change the file extension from .zip to .jpg to get past my email server.

Badgertronic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »
Right on the money.

I have no music videos. I can continue past this point but vox doesn't get past loading.. so i need to either create a music video folder and put something in it or somehow remove it entirely?
"generate xml" is picking up artists / albums / tv and it seems to recognise the correct number of movies but upon inspection xmbcMovies xml is empty?

Again, many thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »
okay the quick fix is to delete the xml files for musicvideos and movies.

you'll get errors about the xml files being missing, but VC should load and everything else will work.

I think maybe the problem is actually the movies.  GenXML says it is finding > 0 but the xml file generated is empty?  The only explanation I can think of for that, is that you have a movie with a character in it that VC is not handling well.  If you don't mind, take a look and let me know of any movies you have that have unusual (in a north american ascii sense) characters. (& $ @ etc. or something with accents on it.)

sorry for the hassle.

Badgertronic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
Please don't apologise, I feel bad about pestering you with questions.

If I delete xbmcmusicvideos and xbmcmovies it throws up an error message but continues fine.

None of my movies have unusual characters. Here is an example of naming conventions..C:\Users\Emma\Videos\Movies\Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back 2001

Gen xml states that it finds 14 movies but xml file only says ..
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--A VoxCommando Payload file-->
<PayloadsRoot />

then blank. I appreciate that I could probably manually enter the information but as my movie library grows I can imagine it becoming slightly tedious.