Author Topic: (outdated thread) XBMC for Dummies!  (Read 39145 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
(outdated thread) XBMC for Dummies!
« on: October 02, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS THREAD IS OVER 3 YEARS OLD

I have put together an english package for XBMC with all the commands from my latest youtube demos.  Just unzip and go!

Well, ok, there are a few steps.

Configure XBMC :
 - Go to SETTINGS >> NETWORK >> SERVICES
 - put a check mark next to "Allow control of XBMC via HTTP"
 - put check marks next to "Allow programs... to control XBMC"
 - set the port, username, and password as desired (remember them)
 - exit the settings menu but keep XBMC running.  (alt-enter to exit fullscreen)

Unzip the attached Vox file to a folder on your HD

Run VoxCommando.exe from this new folder

click OPTIONS, then go to the XBMC tab.
 - enter your port username and password to match what you entered in XBMC  ** DO NOT put checkmarks next to "create artist grammar" or "create album grammar"
 - click "SAVE AND CLOSE" and go back to the main VoxCommando window.

click GENXML
a window will open.  Click all the buttons in the XBMC group.

you are done.  :yay  close this window and RESTART VoxCommando.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:05:41 PM by jitterjames »

Native

• View Profile
Re: XBMC for Dummies!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »
Ok, Finally got an hour, so played around with this (thought the title meant it was specifically for me)  :P

Preeety good i have to say, although i did have some issues, seems mainly with the KB emulation stuff.
Sometimes the "jump to" command, whilst recognised by VC, failed to act in XBMC. Same with the "starts with", and also "scroll/scroll fast", and maybe some other stuff. No real pattern to it, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. When the "jump to" worked, the "starts with" failed, or the scroll worked but the jump to wouldn't.
Didn't check the VC log, but did notice some time outs in the results window. However, sometimes the VC results window said all ok, but still nothing XBMC side.

Odds on, it's probably my iteration of XBMC, which is getting a little flakier by the day, especially since the new build, and the resulting path changes. Have tested dharma beta 2 extensively, and will probably make the jump soonish, but it still has some issues scraping a few of my tv shows. Plus, am loath to lose all the recently added and watched status info, and i just know it'll end up with a complete database rebuild.. or , worse still, a total reorganisation of all the friggin' files/nfos/fanarts/cleararts..etc..etc..   *sigh*.   Don't have a month free to spend on that!   :bonk

Incidentally, the "Browse unwatched episodes of.." worked flawlessly for me.

One more clue that points to VC not being to blame was the fact that my rf keyboard stopped actioning in XBMC at certain points too, although that also happens when i alt-tab to something then switch back to XBMC, some focus issues somewhere..

Anywayyyys..lol, s'enuff rambling from me i reckon, will have a further play tomorrow and report back if i find anything (more) useful.

Oh, one request if at all possible. Any chance of a "browse songs"? 

Regards, Mick.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »
first for your request "browse songs" I have attached an xml file.

- open VC
- click edit
- drag the xml file onto the tree

it should add a group called "XBMC browse songs" to your tree.  There should be a single command in this group called "Browse Songs"

Optional:
If you want you can then drag the new command up to the group named "XBMC goto Windows" where his friends are hanging out, and then delete the empty group.

As for the other stuff, it's a bit tricky.  I understand your reluctance to upgrade.  If you do, you can at least backup your database files and then if you decide to go back there is still hope...  Is there anyway you can install dharma beta2 somewhere else (or maybe on another user account?) and test VC with it to see if it works better?

For the scroll commands I have used keyboard emulation (and focus of XBMC is required) because it should be faster than sending keys to xbmc via http.  However it is possible to modify the commands to do it by http.

If you are actually having timeouts because xbmc is not responding, we could adjust the length of time before VC gives up, but it is pretty long and if you are timing out it is probably an indication of some kind of other problem.  Still if you want I can make you a "patient" version of VC for testing purposes.  You could have some kind of network issue.

I'm not sure why you would be having problems with jump to unless it is related to the time outs.  In order to jump to a letter it may have to press as many as 4 keys (for 's' or 'z') because it uses sms-style input via http.  The "starts with" command emulates a single keyboard press. (shift-letter)

Even if the problem is not with VC, the solution could be, but for the record I've tested on 3 machines and don't have the issues you are having, but some of them sound similar to problems I had with certain builds of XBMC.  Unfortunately I can't be more specific than that.

Native

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
A short testing report and more ideas for you (feel free to tell me to piss off btw).

The browse songs xml worked perfectly. The Jump to and Scroll and Starts with all worked, on and off again, got the operation timed out result after a while, seems to happen when i've issued a lot of commands quickly or when XBMC is doing something intensive like pausing a song/playing a movie/stopping movie/jumping to home/playing song.  Not real world usage really, so hopefully wont need the patient edition ;) 
  ..and i still think xbmc or as you say the network is responsible. Incidentally, all my movies and tv shows are on a nas which sleeps when not in use, normally takes about five or seven seconds to wake it to play a movie. The songs are on this machine shared via samba /win7 homegroups majobby thing. Makes it very likely to be the network i'd think.

As for the upgrade, yeah, i know, gotta be done.. trouble with the backup database is that camelot to dharma loses thumbs and various other stuff. Couple that with the problems people are having with scraping currently, and it sorta sounds like a major p.i.t.a.  Plus, then along is gonna come (hopefully) soonish Eden... and no doubt that will bring it's own issues, and may have to do it all again.    Good news is tho', i'm currently installing/configuring dharma on this machine (as opposed to the htpc), so i can test where i sit. Only reason i haven't done it thus far is because i want it to work in the living room ;)

On to the ideas; Sure i could (eventually) implement all these myself (honest), but i wouldn't deny you the pleasure.. lol. As i said before, i wont be offended if you say NO GODDAMMMIT!  ;)
Much like the music options, how about a "what movie/show/episode is this?" 
 Also, thinking about the xbmc clock, timers and the "finish time" mod/info in the pause menu, is there any way to ask xbmc what the current time is, what time the current movie or episode will finsh or to remind you when it's three o' clock?  Just blueskying it here..
Lastly, show unwatched movies?

Sure i can thing of ten more impractical things before tonight, so for now i'll leave it.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 12:18:24 PM »
Well, a LOT of the work that went into VC was to make it as easy (and flexible) as possible for users to create their own custom commands.  So I'll probably incorporate some of these, but try fiddling around with it yourself.  It is actually a lot of fun.  I would prefer to spend more time developing the software, documentation, instructional and demo videos, maintaining the web site, helping new users get started, getting the word out to new users etc...   I'm actually very busy with non-VC stuff right now too which doesn't help.

Hopefully as time goes by, more users will come up with their own groups of commands that they can share with other users.

That said, I am always happy to hear about new ideas, missing commands etc.  So eventually I will add most of these to the master command set for new users, but maybe I won't actually be the one to create them all.

For now I'm attaching a patient version of VC for you.  The only difference is that it will wait for 3 seconds before timing out, instead of 1.5.  There is no harm really in having a larger time out, the only drawback is that if XBMC is not running and you try to issue a command to XBMC, VC will be frozen until the timeout occurs.

If someone wants to try their hand at some of these ideas here are some clues:

Unwatched movies can be done with a Smart Playlist, and no need for payloads.
the current time is already available in VC as a variable.  Just insert {timeshort} or {timelong} into an OSD or TTS command or send it to XBMC as a notification :
Code: [Select]
execbuiltin(  Notification(header,message[,time,image])  )
as for asking for movie and tv info, ya, we can do some cool stuff there, but don't forget we have a "show info" command as well.  It should be pretty easy to modify the current What song is this type comands to work with video.  If someone is up for the challenge.  But I like the idea so I will probably do this in the next day or two.

As for an alarm at 3:00, I'm not too sure.  Does XBMC has some kind of function like that already?  Maybe you could post some more info on the subject.

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
To contribute my groups of commands, most of it with phrases or words in Portuguese, interested to download the file from this link http://github.com/downloads/Wanilton/voxcomanndo-xbmc-Brazil/voicecommands.xml or atached file.
I am posting too in HTForum, a Brazilian forum of audio and video, in this topic:
http://www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/144704-Usando-Comando-de-voz-para-controlar-seu-midia-center-com-%C3%AAnfase-no-XBMC-Vers%C3%A3o-Dharma
My way of helping to promote this amazing software
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:21:40 PM by Wanilton »
www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
Thanks W.  I've looked over that thread on htforums.  You've done a great job of putting all the information together and translating it.  Thanks for all your hard work.

Mr_Grinch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
Been waiting patiently for my forum account to be created, thinking I'd been forgotten, then checked my spam folder and it had ended up in there, damn gmail!

Anyway, loving the possibilities of this and am going to sit down and have a play tomorrow. I'm using the xbmc microphone at the moment but am tempted to see if the setup microphone for my amp will work too.

Just thought I'd fire off an XBMC related question, maybe I'm being dumb. I'm running Dharma Beta 4 and scroll left/scroll right are going very wonky, no idea if it's just my setup. I'm pretty sure the send key command is working fine but the end result is that XBMC will sort of judder but not move (for example in tv shows it will try to move left then "bounce" back to what it was on before and repeatedly do this). Any ideas?

::edit:: Scratch all that, used the version attached to your first post and all seems to be working well, going to have a proper play around tomorrow. I'm sat about 10 foot away from the tv, the ps3 eye is ON the tv, my centre speaker below the tv and my two fronts below. It seems to pick up (90% of the time) my commands, despite the difference, it also makes out pause when something is playing. Overall pretty impressed with the mic on it! Though I'm going to have to shove a little bit of tape over the led :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:56:08 PM by Mr_Grinch »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:49:15 PM »
Welcome Mr. Grinch.  The whole sign up-thing with activation is a pain, but still I have spam-bots getting through and making a mess.  I keep trying to measures to try to foil them.  What a PITA!

Anyway I'm glad you got through the red tape.  I have my ps3 on what engineers would call a "sticky outy thingy" so that it extends a bit beyond my TV.  It does seem to do a pretty good job, but I still use a remote to switch VoxCommando on and off, to avoid it doing funny stuff when I am not paying attention.  I agree about the LED.  It seems to be a common theme with manufacturers underestimating the annoyingness of bright LED lights stabbing you in the eye all the time, when you are trying to watch a movie.

I just got a new "Amulet Remote" with a wireless microphone built into it.  I will post a full review soon in the microphone section, but so far I like it.

Mr_Grinch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03:11 AM »
Well, regarding signing up, your initial auto-email saying you'd check my account and then activate it came through my inbox, however the email with the link went to my spam box, very odd. This was with gmail.

Anyway, having a blast playing around with this. WHen using the smart playlists to start a film, I take it you need to update the xml each time you add a film/show? I was wondering if it's possible to generate this from a command line prompt, or something like that? So then I could add a voice command for "Update Movie List", so when using XBMC I could just say that and it'd update.

Also it still amazes me that I can sit back on my couch and say "Find Unwatched Episodes of Community" and up they pop.

Rojoyinc

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »
This was cool thanks.  It found 17,000 + songs.  But 0 artists.  I assume it's my naming?   Is there a util that will reformat names as needed?
works for play song!
 - and works for browse and play movie.

VERY cool so far.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
usually xbmc fails to export proper xml if any of your tags contain < or > symbols.  Check your artists to make sure non contain these symbols.

Rojoyinc

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
No not that I can see...   any other reason?
I see some  [disc 1]  characters.

wouldn't it pull in some that don't have illegal characters if that was the reason?
Or does it hit them and bomb?   I see the artists listed in XBMC.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »
I already posted a pretty detailed explanation of this somewhere in this forum. The problem with the < and > characters is that they are used to create the xml tags.  When they appear in the actual items they break the rules of xml.  Vox tries to look at the xml that xbmc generates and is unable to parse it because it is no longer valid.  XBMC should be encoding these characters (into %3C and %3E) but it is not.

you end up with something like

<tag>value < 3</tag>

which makes no sense in xml.

I'm not aware of any other characters that cause problems but it is possible.  I just don't know what they are... I suppose slash  or something could do it.  Who knows.  I would suggest that you look in the forum for the other post I made on this topic.  In it I included a means of getting the xml as a text file.  If you can  do that, and send it to me I will look at it.  If you can't find the post anywhere (after looking) let me know.

Rojoyinc

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
Thanks - yeah - getting the xml in a text file would be great as I could search for strange characters.

Also - I have a question, I'd like to add commands like  view live tv etc.  I was looking at the xml code to see what I'd need to edit and it looks pretty straight forward. (I use to program  aLOT in pascal in the olden days).

anyway where do you get a list of all the XBMC strings... like

<cmdString>ExecBuiltin(ActivateWindow(MusicLibrary,Songs))</cmdString>

musiclibrary,songs ?   Appears there are some executables built in... is there a list of them that can be called?
I'd like to find the TV/channels built ins.  I could then edit your code to add my own vox commands.

________________________________  re: your....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--C:\Users\james\Downloads\VoxCommandoXBMC 0_825 EN\export\XBMC browse songs.xml-->
<VoiceCommands version="0.825">
    <commandGroup name="XBMC browse songs" enabled="True">
        <command name="Browse Songs" enabled="true" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0">
            <action>
                <cmdType>XBMC.Send</cmdType>
                <cmdString>ExecBuiltin(ActivateWindow(MusicLibrary,Songs))</cmdString>
                <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
            </action>
            <phrase>Browse Songs</phrase>
        </command>
    </commandGroup>
</VoiceCommands>