Author Topic: iTunes teething issues  (Read 11225 times)

Vangelis

• $upporter
    • View Profile
iTunes teething issues
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »
This might be just me not setting up some parameters but sometimes I get some weird results when using VC with iTunes...

Example... (VC has read in my iTunes dbase of 600 songs)

Issue 'play song Running up that hill' and get a recognition of 92.1%. I can see that VC sends an iTunes.rqSong Running up that hill
but on iTunes I can see it checking the voxTemp 'Playlist' with zero items

Is there anything I can do to fix this??

Also when VC sees multiple possibilities in iTunes I get a black box with 'iTunes Basic Commands' and ...

1 Play Song (Lapdance)
2 Play Song (Low)

etc

How do I select the option verbally? Can I turn this off as I plan to run the whole system without a screen..?

Would renaming the songs within iTunes help with indexing?

Regards,
Vangelis
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:10:42 AM by Vangelis »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: iTunes teething issues
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »
Also when VC sees multiple possibilities in iTunes I get a black box with 'iTunes Basic Commands' and ...

1 Play Song (Lapdance)
2 Play Song (Low)

How do I select the option verbally? Can I turn this off as I plan to run the whole system without a screen..?

I can't speak to the iTunes issue regarding the empty voxTemp playlist, but:

I believe there's a built-in command in standard VC configurations called "Option", which you should see listed in the Vox Commands group of your tree.

This allows you to verbally select any of the options by number (Option 1, Option 2, etc.).

The feature above is referred to as "Alternates". You can see some settings related to alternates in the Options > Open Options > General settings tab (a bit confusing that I'm talking about the Option command and Options in the menu, because these do not refer to the same thing, but I hope you know what I mean). If you don't want to see the OSD for alternates, you should be able to uncheck that box. (Might depend what version of VC you're using?)

That said: if you're planning on running the system without a screen, why does it matter if this OSD appears or not? If the problem is that the song isn't playing when there are possible alternates, this may mean that the setting "don't execute if there are alternate commands" is selected in your Options. If so, you can try unchecking that box.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:31:13 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Vangelis

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
Thanks Nime5ter - I might have missed that Option in the Options setting  ;D (regarding OSD). Might have to wait on James for and understanding of the VoxTemp playlist.

btw I am using the Licensed version

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
 :)

I didn't mean whether you are using the licensed or trial version, but which release number you're using (e.g. 1.1.3 ; 1.140 etc.).

James releases VC updates relatively often, and some of the settings related to Alternates have been changed fairly recently. Although it's easy to install updates, some users prefer to stick with whatever version they originally downloaded. That's why it can be very helpful when people say what version number they're using when they are having difficulties (and why saying "I'm using the 'latest version'" is not such a good idea ...).
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Vangelis

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Ahh ok - Erm, downloaded last night if that helps - Will update on ver when back at the system

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Issue 'play song Running up that hill' and get a recognition of 92.1%. I can see that VC sends an iTunes.rqSong Running up that hill
but on iTunes I can see it checking the voxTemp 'Playlist' with zero items

I have a library of several thousand songs and I have tested this command on a number of systems, over and over and it works 100% of the time, so I don't know what issue you might be having.  Maybe you just need to update your payloadXML files?

If that doesn't work then I think I would need to come "take a look" using some kind of screen sharing program, in order to try to figure out what is happening.  I am happy to do this if we can find a good time.  Usually 9AM to 3PM works for me.  I am in the same time zone as New York city.  (EDT).

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:29:08 PM »
The feature above is referred to as "Alternates". You can see some settings related to alternates in the Options > Open Options > General settings tab (a bit confusing that I'm talking about the Option command and Options in the menu, because these do not refer to the same thing, but I hope you know what I mean). If you don't want to see the OSD for alternates, you should be able to uncheck that box. (Might depend what version of VC you're using?)

That said: if you're planning on running the system without a screen, why does it matter if this OSD appears or not? If the problem is that the song isn't playing when there are possible alternates, this may mean that the setting "don't execute if there are alternate commands" is selected in your Options. If so, you can try unchecking that box.
Hey nime, James and I figured out how VC can read the alternates and use TTS to read them aloud - like: "there a xyz alternates available", option1 "blablabla", option2 "blablabla" and so on.
I'm not at home, so I can't post the command group for that, but tomorrow  ;)
***********  get excited and make things  **********

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
:)

Thanks Kalle, that sounds like it would be good xml to share on the forum.

Personally, I think I would find it annoying to hear the TTS voice struggle to pronounce 3 or 4 weird song names, but in general that code will probably be useful to many folks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:18:09 PM by nime5ter »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
Haha, yes you've right. If VC find to much alternates for songs is really annoying, but we have the "match" option for this command, this allows us to adjust how many alternates VC speak aloud.  ::banana
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Vangelis

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:09:12 AM »
Thanks James - Is there an option to update the payloadXML ?? I will let you know on setting up a Telco after I have implemented some of the suggestions from others.

Kalle / Nim5ter - I would be interested in the TTS of the 'options' and the 'match' function to limit them. If you can post the XML examples that would be great

Vangelis

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »
Thanks James - Is there an option to update the payloadXML ??

Vangelis

Run the GenXML for iTunes again. 

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Installation#Gathering_Media_Information_.28GenXML.29

Vangelis

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
@Nim5ter - Ref checkbox 'don't execute if there are alternate cmds', can you let me know where that is under Options as I have had a look and cannot find anything  :-\

I think that is the issue why the song is not playing as VC recognised the cmd but there are multiple options btw my version is 1.1.5.0

Vangelis

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »
Alas, I don't think that could be the issue if you're using 1.150. As you say, that option doesn't yet exist in 1.150.

In your version, VC should automatically play the first option unless you tell it otherwise (i.e. by saying "Option 2" or "3" or whatever when it offers you alternatives).

In more recent beta versions (posted here on the forum), users now have the option of telling VC to not execute the command at all if there are alternates.

Perhaps it would be best for you to turn on logging for a while, and post your log here once the problem happens again. http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Menu#Options

Vangelis

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »
Thanks Nime5ter - Gone one step further and just created a little video of the issue  ;D. I just need to put in somewhere? (~2Mb)

Vangelis

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
ok Video on YouTube now - Sorry for the rather emotionless voiceover  :biglaugh

&feature=youtu.be