Author Topic: MediaPortal Configuration for 0.912  (Read 38385 times)

shango

• $upporter
  • No English flag :(
    • View Profile
Re: MediaPortal Configuration for 0.912
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 08:03:08 AM »
If you right click the other device you can select 'view disabled devices' or something like that so you can still turn it back on etc.

I have had numerous problems with Windows in the past randomly trying to use a different audio device that has nothing plugged in. I always disable non used devices.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »
Here are some other things you can try.  There are two areas of MP where you can adjust sound settings.  First, you can choose between the "BASS player" and the "internal DirectShow player".  Whichever one you are using, try the other one and see if it makes a difference.

Then there are other settings as well, where you can select output devices.  Try different combinations and let us know if one of them works.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out - I have installed the latest driver manually (as per the pic below) but it hasn't changed anything  :-\ Note: There was a Digital Output showing but I disabled it this morning (and then it totally disappeared, I thought it would still show in the Device Manager ???)  because selecting it did nothing, no sound played anywhere. Now it is back again as per the second screenshot but that hasn't changed either, selecting it kills all sound output - am I supposed to do something else here?  ::)

Cheers

Bleazle

This sounds bad  :-[ - I have a little researched and found some problems with this soundchip. You can use a windows system recovery, with the date before install the latest realtek-driver. Can you tell me the exact device name "HP touchsmart 600...."
A other way is a extern usb soundcard http://www.terratec.net/en/products/Aureon_Dual_USB_9842.html this is a cheap one and you have a opt. digital output to a receiver .

Kalle
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:41:52 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
digital output will only work if you connect it to a digital receiver via optical, coax, or hdmi.

be careful with using windows restore... it can be great, but can also lead to tears!

Bleazle

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
FIXXXXEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D Thanks for your persistence her guys!!

It looks like the problem/conflict is due to ASIO4ALL  :-[ I changed the player from BASS engine to Internal dshow player & everything plays fine - ASIO4ALLis disabled when using the Internal dshow player. This isn't a big issue on the client that I've installed VC on because I'm only using the built in speakers but it does mean that I won't be using VC on my main HTPC because music sounds much better when ASIO4ALL is running. I changed the music player back to  BASS engine and disabled ASIO4ALL & once again music plays without any problems so there's a big finger pointing at ASIO4ALL. Do you think there's anything you can do as far as making changes in VC is concerned?

Re: Hidden menu: I  had a look at creating a command and think I pretty much had it sorted but then decided to stick with "go up" or "go left" - they do the trick now that I've realised I don't need to say "1" as well.

Back to these things I mentioned earlier:

- is there any way to correct VC when it gets a command wrong? e.g. I say SetVolume50 and always end up with "15"  Undecided Strange because us Kiwi's don't have an accent, it's the rest of you that do  Grin
- Is it possible for me to change the position of the overlay or is that set in the programme?

Cheers

Bleazle

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
FIXXXXEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D Thanks for your persistence her guys!!

It looks like the problem/conflict is due to ASIO4ALL  :-[ I changed the player from BASS engine to Internal dshow player & everything plays fine - ASIO4ALLis disabled when using the Internal dshow player. This isn't a big issue on the client that I've installed VC on because I'm only using the built in speakers but it does mean that I won't be using VC on my main HTPC because music sounds much better when ASIO4ALL is running. I changed the music player back to  BASS engine and disabled ASIO4ALL & once again music plays without any problems so there's a big finger pointing at ASIO4ALL. Do you think there's anything you can do as far as making changes in VC is concerned?

Re: Hidden menu: I  had a look at creating a command and think I pretty much had it sorted but then decided to stick with "go up" or "go left" - they do the trick now that I've realised I don't need to say "1" as well.

Back to these things I mentioned earlier:

Cheers

Bleazle

I use asio4all sometimes in Cubase to create music. The asiodriver block the microsoft soundmapper, so all wave and mp3 files do not play.

- is there any way to correct VC when it gets a command wrong? e.g. I say SetVolume50 and always end up with "15"  Undecided Strange because us Kiwi's don't have an accent, it's the rest of you that do  Grin
- Is it possible for me to change the position of the overlay or is that set in the programme?

Yes, there is an option to confirm a command, use the attach xml.
Yes, there is an option, click the "wand" when you edit a command and take a look under OSD - attach bleazle3.png
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:46:57 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2012, 06:08:53 PM »
Kalle is right, you can "confirm" a command, but there is no way to correct it.  To be fair, regardless of your accent, 15 and 50 sound pretty much the same and on the phone I can never tell what people are saying and I make them say either "five oh" or "one five".  The best way to avoid getting 15 if you don't use it is to remove it from the list.  If you are using a range of values for the payload such as 0-100 then you can't just remove the 15 from the options, but in these cases I usually use a payload list instead with values 0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100

alternatively you could use a range 0-10 and then just add a 0 in the action parameter like this:   setvolume    {1}0

since VC uses the Microsoft speech engine you can try training the engine in word using (WSR) Windows built in Speech Recognition.  In this mode you can say "correct that" and tell it what you really mean when it gets things wrong.  I don't personally think it is worth the effort though, and in the case of 15-50 I don't think it'll make any difference.  Often the best solution is to adapt our phrases to avoid ambiguity.  In this case you could create a special command with the phrase "set volume moderate" and hard wire that to 50 (i.e. not use a payload).

It is worth doing a couple of WSR training sessions though.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:59 PM »
Hmmm, ok - you can not correct it, but with the confirm command you have the variety for "yes" or "don't do it". When you say "don't do it" so you have the chance to repeat the command, that was my idea.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2012, 06:49:01 PM »
yup.  Also if you are showing "alternates" (options - general tab) you will probably see "set volume 50" coming up as option two, so you could just say "option two"

the problem is that when mediaportal is in full screen mode it may be blocking the OSD popups.  In XBMC you can see the popup when in "virtual fullscreen" but not when in "true fullscreen".  Not sure what the deal is with MediaPortal though.  It might be possible to add some kind of built in OSD in MediaPortal though, for displaying VC info.  The ideal would be to add this functionality to WifiRemote I guess, to avoid having to install more plugins in MP.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »
yup.  Also if you are showing "alternates" (options - general tab) you will probably see "set volume 50" coming up as option two, so you could just say "option two"

the problem is that when mediaportal is in full screen mode it may be blocking the OSD popups.  In XBMC you can see the popup when in "virtual fullscreen" but not when in "true fullscreen".  Not sure what the deal is with MediaPortal though.  It might be possible to add some kind of built in OSD in MediaPortal though, for displaying VC info.  The ideal would be to add this functionality to WifiRemote I guess, to avoid having to install more plugins in MP.
::club ::club ::club ::club ::club ::club ::club

Ok, I have ignored that we here in MediaPortal topic - sorry

@Bleazle forget my xml it was written for XBMC  :bonk
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:56:55 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
FIXXXXEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D Thanks for your persistence her guys!!

It looks like the problem/conflict is due to ASIO4ALL  :-[ I changed the player from BASS engine to Internal dshow player & everything plays fine - ASIO4ALLis disabled when using the Internal dshow player. This isn't a big issue on the client that I've installed VC on because I'm only using the built in speakers but it does mean that I won't be using VC on my main HTPC because music sounds much better when ASIO4ALL is running. I changed the music player back to  BASS engine and disabled ASIO4ALL & once again music plays without any problems so there's a big finger pointing at ASIO4ALL. Do you think there's anything you can do as far as making changes in VC is concerned?

I have tried using ASIO4ALL in the past when doing music recording (I think) and I seem to recall having a lot of headaches with it, so I'm not surprised to find that it is involved here.  Sounds like it does not play well with others.  At least now I can probably recreate the problem which makes it way easier to fix.  I have to be honest though, this is pretty low on my very long list of priorities!

What exactly does ASIO4ALL do for your sound quality that the BASS player does not without it?  When I tried to use it in the past it was in an attempt to reduce latency when recording (to get better sync in multi-track recordings), but that would not be a factor for just listening to music.

Bleazle

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
Just bought the Full Licence :) Based in what I see so far I'm confident this will work out great with MP  :)

...The asiodriver block the microsoft soundmapper, so all wave and mp3 files do not play...

Bummer  :-\

...Yes, there is an option, click the "wand" when you edit a command and take a look under OSD

I got to the screen you showed but couldn't work out how to save anything - do I need to create a new command? If so where? (under what group I guess I mean)...

..The best way to avoid getting 15 if you don't use it is to remove it from the list..

Did that (edited the current command), now "50" is being interpreted as "30"  ::)

..but in these cases I usually use a payload list instead with values 0,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100...

Is there a Wiki on how to do this stuff? I'm all for trial and error and working it out myself but a few more pointers on "how to do" not "what to do" would be handy  ;D

..alternatively you could use a range 0-10 and then just add a 0 in the action parameter like this:   setvolume    {1}0...

Created a command (see below) to set the volume at 50 - it doesn't work - what have I done wrong?

..Also if you are showing "alternates" (options - general tab) you will probably see "set volume 50" coming up as option two, so you could just say "option two"

I'm using 0.912 which is why I probably can't see "alternates"? I was planning on waiting until you release a version which is more tailored towards MP because it doesn't sound too far away...

...the problem is that when mediaportal is in full screen mode it may be blocking the OSD popups.

No, I can see them  :) and you can probably see why I want to move them too (I take it the OSD pop-up can be moved too?...)

OK, wife wants me to spend some time with her now  ::)... or maybe I'll go kitesurfing instead... mmm... tough call...

Cheers

Bleazle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
That's a couple too many question at once for me to handle  :P.  There is a wiki.  Click the wiki button at the top of the forum, or at the top of the any voxcommando.com page.

It's a little out of date and not 100% complete either because VC keeps changing and it's hard to keep up with everything.  Still it should cover all the basics.  There are also video tutorials (also out of date, but also helpful in understanding the basic concepts at play).  Just search for: voxcommando tutorials  on google and/or youtube

the two main links of interest in the wiki would be these:
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=How_to_use_VoxCommando

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Options

if you want to move the OSD status icon you just need to click and drag it with your mouse and it should remember the position.  Or you can just turn it off directly on the options dropdown of the main VC window.

the alternates osd can be turned on in options.  This has nothing to do with mediaPortal, it's a person choice thing.  Either you want it or you don't.  There is no standard position for any of these things that will work for every window of any given skin.  It's only up there for a short time, but if it bothers you can turn each one on or off individually.  (the icon, the recognized commands, the alternate commands).  There are currently no settings to adjust the position of the osd popups for recognized commands or alternates.  It's hard to have options for everything.

Hope that gives you something to chew on for now.

P.S.  Thanks for buying!   :bignod

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
I really do want to make some new video tutorials to demonstrate the basic of command building and editing in the new version, but it seems there is always something else to do first!

Bleazle

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »
Looks like we were typing over each other again..

..@Bleazle forget my xml it was written for XBMC..

No problem, I gathered that when I opened it  ;D

I have tried using ASIO4ALL....At least now I can probably recreate the problem which makes it way easier to fix.  I have to be honest though, this is pretty low on my very long list of priorities!

Guess it'll be a while before I get to use the second licence on my HTPC then! No problem though :)

..What exactly does ASIO4ALL do for your sound quality that the BASS player does not without it?...

I have a Marantz Amp with an HDMI feed from my HTPC and music sounded good but when I installed ASIO4ALL it was like I had taken a pillow off all of my speakers - the sound is that much better!

...There is a wiki.  Click the wiki button at the top of the forum, or at the top of the any voxcommando.com page...

:bonk  ;D Thanks, I'll have a look... I'll have a look at the OSD thing too - I realise they can both be turned off, once I'm more confident with VC I'll turn off the confirmation osd at least. 

Re: Tutorials
- I've done a bit of that sort of stuff before (interactive Flash tutorials) and it took a lot of time so I hear what you're saying - product development first - tutorials if you get sick of answering the same questions too many times  ;D

Regards

Bleazle