Author Topic: VoxCommando vs Yatse Differences, Synchronization?  (Read 11283 times)

bcboncs

• View Profile
VoxCommando vs Yatse Differences, Synchronization?
« on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »
Hi, I'm new to voice automation and I recently became familiar with Yatse.

How does VoxCommando compare to Yatse to those that have tried both?  I am using Tasker, Autovoice, and Yatse API to tell XBMC commands.  My one downside that I have with Yatse is that it needs to synchronize with the XBMC database.  i.e. I recently add a new movie, 'x'.  I have to sync Yatse with XBMC in order for the voice command: 'xbmc play movie x' to work.

Does VoxCommando have to synchronize to the XBMC database before calling a command or does VoxCommando initiate all commands directly to the database... being always synced?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: VoxCommando vs Yatse Differences, Synchronization?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »
Hi bcboncs,

These are two extremely different programs.  There are countless ways in which they are different.

To answer your specific question, yes. VoxCommando needs to know what is in your XBMC library in order to know what to listen for.  This is partly how it achieves its accuracy in recognizing speech, and specifically in being able to do partial matches when you don't know the full title you are looking for.  It is necessary for VoxCommando to periodically scan your library and update the voice commands based on the content of your libraries.

If you wanted to you could create a command that only listened for open dictation based only on simple language and then do an XBMC search based on the string, but your chances of getting the correct results would be significantly diminished using this method.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:52:22 AM by nime5ter »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

bcboncs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
Well bravo to your program and your devotion to the community/forums.  I checked out that video and I like what I see.

EDIT:
Is it possible to use VoxWav/Commando with Tasker/AutoVoice using Google Now to interpret the commands without delay?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:05:37 PM by bcboncs »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
Does VoxCommando perform that fast as shown in the videos when using the app on Android?  I notice when I am using Google Now to 'play movie x', it delays to interpret my command.  VoxCommando seems instantaneous.

Usually it is almost instant, yes.  The main reason that Google Now method is probably slower is that it is uploading your audio to a remote server where it is being processed (without a specific context) and then it is returning a bunch of possible sentences to your phone.  Then your phone is looking at the sentences and picking which one it thinks is a command it can understand, and then acts on the command.  So depending on your internet upload speeds and how busy the google servers are you may see some delays.  You are also donating your voice data to Google to do with as they please.

With VoxCommando you are streaming your audio to a windows machine on your local area network, not uploading anything.  Also because VoxWav allows (but does not force) you to use a press and hold to speak button, the moment you release the button it knows you have stopped speaking so after that it should only take a fraction of a second to determine what command you issued.  Any delays after that would be what is required to tell XBMC what you want and wait for XBMC to do it, but on a fast system this should appear to be instantaneous, and in any case will be similar to what you see with something like yatse when pressing a button.

The main difference is that controlling XBMC is only one of many things you can do with VoxCommando, and you (presumably - I don't know much about yatse) have much more control over how you do everything.  The downside (from some people's perspective - others will see it only as a perk) is that it is more work to set up, and requires Windows.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:21:05 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
EDIT:
Is it possible to use VoxWav/Commando with Tasker/AutoVoice using Google Now to interpret the commands without delay?

No.

bcboncs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
Ideally, I'd like to voice control my house much like your VoxCommando - Scenario: Coming Home from Work video (
).

When you said "Watch Television" (using VoxCommando windows app, correct?) at 3:03, the Hali Home Automation controller is then used so the remote can use IR commands to the TV?  Could you just use a Rii remote to eliminate the additional need for another Home Automation controller?  I am liking what I see and read about the Vera Lite, I just don't want to overcomplicate things.

I still like a hard press remote when I am watching TV so I like the flexibility you showed with the voice remote as well.  I just wonder if VoxCommando and the TV functions would work better with a Rii remote.

Lastly, that's pretty badass that VoxCommando integrates with the VeraLite... definitely something worth checking out.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
Well, you are free to use whatever remote control you want if you are into that kind of thing... you can also get up and go over to the TV to turn it on.  It's good exercise!   ;D

But if you want to use voice commands to automate stuff (which is what we are into around here), then you are going to need something that can translate your voice commands into action.  The idea here is that when I say watch TV, it does a bunch of stuff for me so that I don't have to.  It turns on my TV, Turns on my receiver, launches XBMC, sets the volume to a level that is generally good for watching TV etc.  If you don't want to automate that stuff, or can't afford do buy a device that can do it for you, then you can use a remote, or just do it the old fashioned way.

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
Hi bcboncs and welcome to VC. I had a quick read on your posts and interesting you should mention you still like to use a remote. James recently did a podcast where he also mentioned still liking the use of a remote for browsing content and so on. I dont know much about the Rii remote you are talking about but a good idea\comprimise for you might be the use of an AMULET remote. I have not yet used mine as a remote for pressing keys but purely as a great mic for VC. Even if you get it just for that purpose it is worth every cent. But do some reading here on the forum (search amulet) and maybe on their website as well to see if it might perform the "normal" remote funtions you might require.

The amulet guys are just as friendly and helpful as the VC members so I hope you get your answers and good luck with your VC journey that lies ahead

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »
Also re you VC and Yatse question. They are worlds apart but go and read the folling google doc relating to a single central databse for XBMC and as such your Yatse and VC will at least always use the same database so items will at least line up with eachother. Especially helpful once you have more than one XBMC running.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1epmODbgHM1uFVsvH08rmntpxTsXA-ae0FfI5fto3Fa4/edit?usp=sharing

You could also search this forum for multi room xbmc and find my post with some other links and input from forum mebers