Author Topic: History log suggestion  (Read 1191 times)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
History log suggestion
« on: May 25, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
I was wondering if it would be useful to make the history log collapsible, one command (event) will be listed with a plus sign. Once the that is clicked it lists the sub commands performed.

now chained command are triggered and complex one ones makes it pretty challenging to trouble shoot ...

as well if it is possible to add option for how many lines to be retained ... complex commands the exhaust the space quickly

just a thought
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: History log suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »
There's always the log. Just keep logging enabled and consult as required. It has the benefit of being searchable, as a simple text file.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Log

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:12:44 PM »
It is either impossible or incredibly difficult to implement.

I think the current history panel is excellent and should serve 99% of users well.  The biggest problem with it is usually that people don't think to use it.

The current default is to keep the 99 most recent items.  If this is not enough items for you then you should probably use the log file.

I will see about making this number a user adjustable option, but keep in mind that increasing this number too much will use more memory.  Since each item stores the last result (if any) it can add up fast, especially when doing web scraping etc.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:10:15 PM by jitterjames »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:20:17 PM »
It is either impossible or incredibly difficult to implement.

I thought so too, or probably it would've been implemented ...

The current default is to keep the 99 most recent items.  If this is not enough items for you then you should probably use the log file.

the history is so much better then the log that pushed me to make the proposal :)

I will see about making this number a user adjustable option, but keep in mind that increasing this number too much will use more memory.  Since each item stores the last result (if any) it can add up fast, especially when doing web scraping etc.

it will be great. Maybe a temporary override ... this way  when VC restarts it goes back to it is reasonable memory footprint and no one complains :)
in fact it might be a good way to reduce VC memory footprint once everything running smoothly, one can reduce for 10 lines for instance ...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:22:30 PM by Haddood »
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures