Author Topic: Weather Underground - WUnder Plugin  (Read 16754 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Weather Underground - WUnder Plugin
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »
I've been making some pretty good progress on a new weather plugin to replace the one that google closed.  This one will be better although I'm not 100% sure how it is going to work in terms of the "freeness" of the api.

Please put the WUnder folder from the .rar in your plugins and put the file "Newtonsoft.Json.dll" in your VC main folder.  Then go to VC options and enable the WUnder plugin and restart VC.

[Outdated attachments deleted. Wunder plugin is now standard in VC.]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:53:11 AM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Weather Underground - WUnder Plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
Goto plugin settings for WUnder

1) set your language

2) enter your location in one of the following formats:

US Zip Code
Canadian Postal Code
(some other postal code in another country? - I don't know)
County/Cityname
###,###   (longitude and latitude)

3) Customize your format strings as you like.  Play with it for now, I'll try to provide more information.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
About Variables

Current
Looks like this:  {C.temp_c}
This is current data only so there is no #

10 Day Text
Looks like this:  {T#.title}
# can be anything from 0 to 19
0=today (day)
1=today (night)
2=tomorrow (day)
3=tomorrow (night)
etc.

10 Day Data
Looks like this:  {D#.snow_allday}
# can be anything from 0 to 9
0=today (all day)
1=tomorrow (all day)
2=day after tomorrow (all day)
etc.

When you drop a variable onto one of the 4 numbered Format Fields (0-3) the # will be automatically replaced with the number of the field, but you can still change it to something else.  For example I used field 3 to retrieve the upcoming highs for each day:

Highs this week, {D0.weekday} {D0.high}, {D1.weekday} {D1.high}, {D2.weekday} {D2.high}, {D3.weekday} {D3.high}, {D4.weekday} {D4.high}.

a variation on this would be:

Highs this week, Today: {D0.high}, Tomorrow: {D1.high}, {D2.weekday} {D2.high}, {D3.weekday} {D3.high}, {D4.weekday} {D4.high}.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:51:34 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
&feature=player_detailpage

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »
&feature=player_detailpage
perfect job - a very good video tutorial  :clap  ::bow

Kalle
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:43:52 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Brian

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
Hi,

I enabled the plugin but I'm not seeing it in the command tree. Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what you mean by "not seeing it in the command tree". The command tree will contain the commands that came with the configuration you installed, plus whatever new commands you may have created. It doesn't show plugins.

However, possibly you mean the action selection tree? Whenever you enable a new plugin in the Options, you need to save the options and then do a full restart of VoxCommando before you can select plugin actions: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Plugins).

Once you've done a full restart, you can start typing an action name or click the magic wand to access the action selection tree in the Logical Command Builder (LCB) as always. Plugin actions are located in their own tab of the action selection tree. (http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Logical_Command_Builder)

For the Wunder plugin you'll also need to go into the plugin's settings and provide your location. I recommend watching James's tutorial to get a better sense of how the plugin works and how to set it up:
&feature=youtu.be&t=37s.

The plugins screen will look slightly different because the demo was made with an earlier version of VC, but the information is still valid.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 02:43:31 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Brian

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I enabled the plugin and changed the settings. I restarted Vox. I clicked on Edit and a new window opens up called voicecommands.xml. Should Wunder be in that list somewhere?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
When you click on "Edit", you are indeed accessing the command tree. That tree shows the commands (organized into groups) that already exist in your configuration.

Activating new plugins does not automatically install new commands to your command tree. You will have to import relevant commands (e.g., by copying commands posted here on the forum) or create them yourself.

To copy code from the forum, you select all the code, copy it (Ctrl-C), then open your command tree window and paste it in (Ctrl-V). If you're copying a whole command group, that group will appear in your tree. If you copy just a single command, it will be pasted into whatever group you have selected in your command tree.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=XML_on_the_forum

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
To clarify, if you install the Wunder plugin and restart, you'll then have access to new actions that you didn't have previously, which you can use when building new commands in the Logical Command Builder.

So when you open the LCB (that is, double-click on a command in your command tree), that's when you'll see that actions of the form Wunder.x will appear if you start typing the action name or if you look in the action selection tree.

Brian

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the help!

Indy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:40 AM »
Just having a small problem with the replace this string.  I also didn't like the TTS saying C so I changed it to Degrees as well so when it see 1C it reads 1 degree which is what I want.  But when it saw the word "Chance" it said "Degreehance"  Can I specify it to use replace C only when following a number?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
The easiest way is to replace the string "C " (i.e., 'C' + a space) with " degrees " (space+'degrees'+space), rather than just "C".

Other options are to fiddle around in the plugin settings to create your own custom Weather Underground forecast using their list of variables. (Video tutorial on the Wunder plugin here:
)

If you're comfortable with regular expressions (regex) or would like to learn how to use them, then within your actual command you can use Results.RegExReplace (http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Actions#RegExReplace).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:39:10 AM by nime5ter »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 09:34:04 AM »
Here is an example of how to use the regex replace action.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<command id="635" name="sample regex replace" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
  <action>
    <cmdType>Results.SetLastResult</cmdType>
    <cmdString>it is 15C out there.</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>Results.RegExReplace</cmdType>
    <cmdString>(\d)C&amp;&amp;$1 degrees</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
    <cmdString>{LastResult}</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
</command>

The first Results.SetLastResult action here is just a test action rather than using the Wunder plugin. You wouldn't need that line.

Indy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
Thanks nime5ster, I'm sorry, this is going to be a dumb question but where do I insert this code?  Or is this just sample code on how to do it and I have to hax0r the Results.RegExReplace into the current xml and try and make this work.  Its been a while since I've done any regex and that was all linux command line with awk but I'm sure the principals still apply.  I think I understand what it is doing, I'm just not sure how to use this, I'm still to green to this.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:25:01 PM by jitterjames »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 01:57:23 PM »
You can copy and paste this command from here direct in a group at you VC command tree.

Thats all ;)

Indy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »
Sorry, I must be missing something here.  This is just sample code of how a regex replace would work for what I want to it to do and I would not use the entire code for the WUnder plugin.  I just don't understand how I would use it in the Plugin.  Do I insert the RegExReplace in the Vox GUI for the command?  Do I have to insert this directly into the Wunder command xml at a certain point?  Obviously programming is not my strong suit so I apologize for asking really dumb questions that probably have very simple answers but a little hand holding at the beginning will really help me.

Just let me know if I'm way in over my head, I will wrap my head around the whole thing eventually, I was just hoping for a good push in the right direction.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »
Sorry I missunderstand your question  :bonk

You can use this example, perhaps it makes it more clear for you (you must have the WUnder plugin in VC enabled) - the RegExReplace replaced the C from the {LastResult} with the word degrees

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<commandGroup open="False" name="weather" enabled="True" prefix="" priority="0" requiredProcess="" description="">
  <command id="636" name="sample regex replace" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>WUnder.GetCurrent</cmdType>
      <cmdString />
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <action>
      <cmdType>Results.SetLastResult</cmdType>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <action>
      <cmdType>Results.RegExReplace</cmdType>
      <cmdString>(\d)C&amp;&amp;$1 degrees</cmdString>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <action>
      <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
  </command>
</commandGroup>

I hope this will push you in the right direction  ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:58:37 PM by Kalle »

Indy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
Thanks Kalle, that looks more logical and usable to me, let me play with it and I think I will get it.  Appreciate the patience with me.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »
You are welcome  ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:25:04 PM by Kalle »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 08:36:57 AM »
Bumping James's link to the Wunder tutorial video, as it's rather buried both on youtube and here on the forum:

I notice that a user recently deleted his post in which he asked for help with a Wunder error, after a response had been provided.

One purpose of the forum is to try to be more time efficient: when user questions are answered publicly it theoretically provides answers helpful to other users (assuming people can find them), so that we don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over. This is necessary because we are a very small team, as mentioned in the forum guidelines.

Please don't delete your questions just because the answer seems obvious after the fact.

This is a complex program with many different features. Sometimes even the obvious escapes us. Do, of course, make reasonable effort to find the information on your own before posting, but once you've posted feel assured that you are probably not the only one who had that question, and the answer will be useful to others.

Problems with getting weather from the Wunder plugin are most commonly due to Weather Underground not understanding your location. autoip only works in some locations. James's video gives detailed instructions on all the various options for providing location info to WU, depending on where you live.

AgileHumor

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
I have a small but with the Weather plugin that the rest of the metric world didn't notice...imperial option doesn't save.

It will only stick until you restart the VC, which case it will default back to metric (and not list a language).

The "weekly weather" requires the Imperial/Metric set correctly...and can't be changed using the variables in the plugin text.

No big deal, just an FYI.  Luckily, my fiance is Canadian and can translate Celcisus to cold/warm/hot...and French too :)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
Hi Agile,

Can you verify whether you're actually using imperial variables and not metric variables? I haven't been able to duplicate your problem so far.

e.g., Can you check whether your Current Weather Format field uses variables such as (imperial):
Weather for {T0.title} {T0.fcttext}.{T1.title} {T1.fcttext}
or metric:
Weather for {T0.title} {T0.fcttext_metric}.{T1.title} {T1.fcttext_metric}
?

Although I notice that the radio button does seem to revert back to Metric when I restart VC, it doesn't seem to impact that actual output as long as I've selected and saved imperial variables rather than metric variables.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
Wiki documentation for the WUnder plugin is poor. I will try, when I can find some time, to improve it.

AgileHumor

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »
Lets stick with the F3 line only as I'm not having problems where I can change the variable names:
Highs this week, {D0.weekday} {D0.high} {D0.conditions}, {D1.weekday} {D1.high} {D1.conditions}, {D2.weekday} {D2.high} {D2.conditions}, {D3.weekday} {D3.high} {D3.conditions}, {D4.weekday} {D4.high} {D4.conditions}.

Repro:
* Set imperial
* Save plugin options
* Test F3 and it will use imperial (expected)
* Full Restart VC (or restart computer)
* Test F3 and it will use metricl (unexpected)

Imperial doesn't "stick" past VC restarting.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »
Ah. Yes, now I see what you're saying. :)

Amazing no one has mentioned this after so many years.

Thanks for clarifying. Bug ticket is in the bank.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 03:54:44 PM »
Thanks.  I FIX!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »
Here's version 0.2.0.1 of the Wunder plugin.  I will include it in the next update but in case you can't wait, replace the WUnder.dll file in vc\plugins\Wunder with the attached.

.dll removed.  Install the latest version of VC instead
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:17:45 PM by jitterjames »

AgileHumor

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 03:25:18 AM »
Thank you!!!! Working as expected.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
I am not sure if I should post the question here or in general help ...
I am trying to build a command that retrieve weather for few cities ... When I do Wunder.Refresh, passing it city name to change location, I get an error:
wunder.dll: unkown action

any suggestions
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 08:10:08 AM »
There is an error in the action XML.

Please replace Wunder.Refresh with Wunder.Change for now.  The parameters will remain the same.  Wunder.Change is the correct action but I forgot to update the xml which defines the actions you see in the editor.

Please note that for city you should enter

Toronto, Ontarioor
M3C0C1or
pws:IONTORON34
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:21:01 AM by jitterjames »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
perfect, is the change is permanent or it is for the next command? I mean will it default back to the location set in the plugin?
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
As with pretty much all other options or variables that you can set in the program, the change is semi-permanent.  It will continue to use this value until either you change it again, or you restart the program, at which point it will default back to what you have set in the plugin options.

If you are going to be frequently changing the location, it will probably cause problems with our free weather underground api-key though and the plugin may stop working for everyone, so please don't overdo it.  When using a single location, the plugin will only refresh the data at most once every 15 minutes, but if you change the location it will force a refresh.

We are only allowed a total of 500 calls per day, and a maximum of 10 calls per minute, for all VoxCommando users combined.

nikeb

• i got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 08:51:13 AM »
Hi James

it's been some days that i can't reach my wunder commands cause i have this kind of error:

RAW STREAM:

{
  "response": {
  "version":"0.1",
  "termsofService":"http://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/terms.html",
  "features": {
  }
"error": {
"type": "invalidkey"
,"description": "this key is not valid due to exceeding rate plan"
}
}
}

I guess it's because, i saw on that specific wunder page, the api plan are changed.
Is there any workaround/fix on that?

Thank you in advantage

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
There is no fix possible for the Wunder plugin. The API used to be free. Now it is not. VoxCommando cannot support 3rd party services that charge fees to developers.

If you know how to write basic code with Python, you can try using  https://openweathermap.org/api

Or see this post, which suggests using IFTTT.
https://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2885.msg24435#msg24435

https://ifttt.com/weather

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:29:00 AM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »
It is a shame. I will look into alternatives when I return from my trip next week but essentially nime5ter is correct.

:bonk

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 02:35:27 PM »
I'm thinking about creating a new plugin using the AccuWeather API.  This will probably yield better results than Weather Underground did anyway.

How many people would be interested in this?

AccuWeather's free API is limited to just 50 calls per day, which is barely enough for one person using the plugin and I can see how it will become an issue even for trying to create the plugin because while testing I will need more than 50 calls per day.

Our most obvious options would be to:

1) Have each user create their own api key and use it for free with a limit of 50 calls per day.

2) Somehow share the cost of a monthly subscription which is $25 USD / month but allows 250 thousand calls.

Somehow the second option seems sort of unlikely, but you never know.  If 10 people want it badly enough to pay $2.50 per month it would be doable... We could just accept donations and see how it goes

Thoughts anyone?

nikeb

• i got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »
My 2 cents

I guess for the final user would be nice even Just get a personal key and use 50 calls per day if there is an easy way to register/obtain the key, like a sort of openlink or webservice.

I would pay 2.5 dollars every month if you ask (and maybe more than 20 other people would) but would be worth to try

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 04:07:51 PM »
Getting an api key is easy.  Just visit https://developer.accuweather.com/ and sign up.

If you want to help alpha test the plugin when it's ready you can sign up in advance.

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
I would think that 50 calls a day would be more then adequate for the every day user.

I only request the weather maybe three times a day on average, morning wake up call, powering on my living room system and then asking the weather later In the day if I didn't catch the other two.

The 50 calls per day could be stretched if you store some of the information in a map table (High, Low, Sunrise, Sunset...) and use that through out the day, that's how I'm using IFttt right now and it works well.

I'd be willing to help test the plugin when needed

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »
One solution one of the devs over at homeseer is using for weather is Darksky.  https://darksky.net/dev  Not sure if this is something of interest or possibility here.