Author Topic: At night power down all my pcs on the network, and be able to set an alarm  (Read 2604 times)

outlaw

• View Profile
jitter james , thanks I got it fixed,i should have said it was for xbmc ,im new to these fourms sorry I cant explain things right.
but I did manage to figure it out.

last couple things ide like vc to do is  at night power down all my pcs on the network,and be able to set an alarm,(like wake me at 10 am with the time and weather) ive looked on the fourms
but I cant figure it out,sorry but I don't have programming skills,and how its explained for setting an alarm makes no sense to me.
ive seen eg and it being used with vc is using eg easyer to setup as far as alarms?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
It is hard to explain things when you don't know what you are doing but if people took the forum rules more seriously I think it would help everyone a lot.  (By everyone I mean the people seeking help and the people offering help.)

As far as shutting other systems down goes, VC can't directly shut down some other computer that it is not running on, so you need to have something running on the other system that can listen for a message and then shut the system down over there.  The simplest way to do that would be to install EventGhost on the other systems that you want to put the sleep.  If you want to go that route please install eventGhost and then try to familiarize yourself with it a bit before asking how to set this up.  Once you know how to use eventGhost a bit, the process is relatively easy.  We also have some info on VC and EventGhost in our VC wiki.

For setting an alarm, the first question I must ask is "will the VC system be off/sleeping at night".  If that is the case then you need to find a way to wake the system first before VC can do anything.  If the VC system is always on then it is a different story.

outlaw

• View Profile
thank ya james , ill read the rules more,and as far as, will vc be on all the time,yes its on my server that never goes off. that's the one that I want the alarm on, and someday hope to have vc control my house. I have already installed EG and gonna get to understand it and will look at the vc wiki for more info.

by the way the only computer I want off at night is my family theater room

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Hey Kalle.  That is an excellent discovery.  I think I have actually used this before, but a long long time ago, and I forgot about it.

The only downside to that command is that if you want to put the machine into standby or hibernate, I don't think it is possible.  But if you actually want to shut a system down or restart it, this seems like a great tool.

outlaw

• View Profile
thanks kalle, that seems easy enough to understand and use:) just one ?  is it possible to have vc perform the shutdown action or
is it just from a command line?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
You can use a Launch action in VC to launch command.exe and pass command line parameters. Here is a recent example: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1436.msg12875#msg12875

See also: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Actions#Launch
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
For remote shutdown you can use command line to shut down, restart, hibernate ...etc.
Just open command line, type
    shutdown /?
And follow the options

As far as waking up a PC running VC it is easy : creat a task in windows task scheduler ... To put VC in listening or standby mode and in the option there is a checkbox for wake-up PC to run this task

When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
I think it is not possible to remotly hibernate a client pc in a network - only restart or shutdown.
To wake up a pc, you send a WOL packet to the client.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
I think it is not possible to remotly hibernate a client pc in a network - only restart or shutdown.
Not possible without installing extra software.  Yes you are probably right.  It does not seem to be possible using the shutdown command, but there could be some other way.  But of course it is possible if you run a program on the remote pc that can do the shutdown for you.  EventGhost or VoxCommando for example.

To wake up a pc, you send a WOL packet to the client.
Although WOL does not require you to install anything on the remote PC, it does require that the system be capable of the WOL function (most recent PCs are) and it needs to be configured correctly.  Some PCs will be ready out of the box and for others the configuration can be a bit tricky.  Xtermin8tor made a pretty good guide to setting this up on the VC forum but you can also easily find lots of info by doing a web search for "wake on lan"

@Kalle: I know you know this stuff already, I'm just clarifying for any newbs that might be reading this thread in the future.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
last couple things ide like vc to do is  at night power down all my pcs on the network,and be able to set an alarm,(like wake me at 10 am with the time and weather)

One way or another you will need to generate an event at whatever time you want your alarm to go off.  This event will trigger a command that does whatever actions you want (like read you the weather, play a song etc.).

You can generate this event a number of ways:
- using the Google Calendar plugin (ggCal) for VC
- using Windows task scheduler to send an event to VC using command line arguments
- using eventGhost to send an event to VC using the broadcaster plugin
- using the VC.SetEventTimer action.

If you want to use the VC.SetEventTimer you might want to wait for the next VC2 release.  See this thread for more info: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1484.0
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:33:43 PM by jitterjames »

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
hi

another method to shutdown, restart, sleep, hibernate and run predefined scripts on a networked  pc.
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1500.msg13041#msg13041
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.