Author Topic: Output TTS to Android  (Read 3893 times)

aukseller

• View Profile
Output TTS to Android
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:49:54 AM »
Hi All,

I'm new to Vox Commando and have been exploring various possibilities with this great software!

My question is, is there a way of using VoxWav Pro as a remote TTS speaker so that when say a timed event or other trigger occurs in the system, it can output the TTS/OSD text to a given Android device that has been left in the 'BKG Exec: On' mode?

I have proved it can work by injecting UDP packets to the device and can get it to display the OSD and read a TTS string but cannot find the option for doing this in the software? If this is not currently possible could this be added as I think it would be a useful addition?  I know the IP address payload is sent with the TCPMic.NewClient so this address could be saved and used as the last destination address.

I can see a few people having minor issues with VoxWav Pro but so far this App appears to have been as skilfully developed as VC itself (you can probably tell I'm impressed). The only slight issue I'm having is the TTS stops working and needs the application to be closed and re-opened for this to be restored. I'm using Android 4.4.2 (having resisted upgrading to Lollipop) on a SGS5 handset. I'm very much of the camp "If it ain't broke then don't try to fix it" but it would be really good to know if there are any more developments in the pipeline for this app as it hasn't been updated in a long while (as far as I can see)?

Look forward to anyone and everyone's response!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Output TTS to Android
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:57:02 AM »
Hi aukseller.  Welcome to VoxCommando. :)

Are you using more than one VoxWav device?  By default all TTS and OSD messages should be automatically sent to VoxWav Pro but only to the last device that communicated with VoxCommando.

If you want to send TTS or OSD to VoxWav exclusively (not hear or show them on the local PC) then you can use the TCP plugin to send UDP messages to VoxWav.

One note:  occasionally the UDP listener does not work in VoxWav Pro.  I'm not sure what causes it but the easy fix is to restart VoxWav.  This means stopping the app completely (not just hiding it and then showing it again).

aukseller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
Wow, that's what I call a quick response time.

Thanks for that James and okay looks like I should have played around with the 'BKG Exec: On' a bit more before writing this! That's great news. As for using the TCP plug-in and presumably the TCP UDP SendMixed command, do you have a very quick example of how the packet should look so that it could be sent and recognised as TTS or OSD on the app? I've had a quick look but it did not work.

Do you have any plans on updating the Android app with any new features or fixes?

One other very minor grumble (and I know it should not be asked here) but is there any reason you don't have an option to start VC in the tray only?

Will keep exploring and monitoring the Forums as time permits!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:45:09 AM »
I'm away for a few hours this morning but I'll try to get back to you on this later today.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
Here's a way to do it (but again, you should not need to since TTS and OSD should go there anyway).  The UDP port is actually hard wired to 33456

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<!--VoxCommando 2.1.4.4-->
<command id="1271" name="TCP.UDP sample send to VoxWav" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
  <action>
    <cmdType>TCP.UDP.SendMixed</cmdType>
    <params>
      <param>va.tts\x26\x26greetings</param>
      <param>33456</param>
      <param>255.255.255.255</param>
    </params>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>TCP.UDP.SendMixed</cmdType>
    <params>
      <param>va.osd\x26\x26Hi There!</param>
      <param>33456</param>
      <param>255.255.255.255</param>
    </params>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
</command>

Do you have any plans on updating the Android app with any new features or fixes?
Yes in the near future.  I am working on an update right now.

aukseller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »
Hi James,

Thank's for your reply and useful information.  Good news too about the update and will look forward to it.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »
One other very minor grumble (and I know it should not be asked here) but is there any reason you don't have an option to start VC in the tray only?

Maybe you're aware of this already and would prefer a different method, but it is possible to start VC in the tray if you use the Advanced option to minimize to tray on close.

See "UI - Minimize to system tray on close"
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Options#Advanced
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

OklahomaGreyBeard

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 01:53:08 AM »
Is there a way to tell create a tts on the local machine but have VW ignore it if the command came from VWP and send the tts info only to the VWP device? If the command is picked up by a local open air mic though have it only play through the local machine? I ask because if I'm in another room and use VWP to tell VC to turn on a light it responds both at the local machine and my phone. Also if someone then says a command on the local machine, the response is still heard both locally and on my phone even though I didn't send the command from the phone.