Author Topic: Server - client  (Read 3455 times)

painy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Server - client
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
I'm planning to build a central server PC this summer which centralises all my media etc. I'm wondering if it's possible to have two instances of VC to communicate with each other.
For example: PC2 is upstairs in my room and running VC, PC1 is the central server PC downstairs and also running VC. A phone/amulet remote is used as microphone for PC 1. Saying 'PC2 play music' would play music upstairs and saying' PC1 play music' would play music downstairs.

This could also be use to circumvent the 'windows 7' only problem (PC 1 is windows, PC2 linux/mac/...), although that would require a lot of work of programming.

What do you guys think?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Server - client
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:28:40 PM »
I'm planning to build a central server PC this summer which centralises all my media etc. I'm wondering if it's possible to have two instances of VC to communicate with each other.
For example: PC2 is upstairs in my room and running VC, PC1 is the central server PC downstairs and also running VC. A phone/amulet remote is used as microphone for PC 1. Saying 'PC2 play music' would play music upstairs and saying' PC1 play music' would play music downstairs.

This could also be use to circumvent the 'windows 7' only problem (PC 1 is windows, PC2 linux/mac/...), although that would require a lot of work of programming.

What do you guys think?
Hi painy, to run VC on a Linux system, you can take a look here: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=710.0
I hope it helps  ;)

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

painy

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:22:23 AM »
Aha, that's great!
This will spare me the headaches of trying to run the server on windows 7 :p

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
You can control another computer from VC using event ghost. You can also send commands from VC on one machine to VC on another machine using the event ghost actions since it is really just sending udp text messages. The theory is simple but the actual execution can be a bit more tricky.

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
You can control another computer from VC using event ghost. You can also send commands from VC on one machine to VC on another machine using the event ghost actions since it is really just sending udp text messages. The theory is simple but the actual execution can be a bit more tricky.

I am very interested in this idea.
I have extra parts left over from a project, so I am building another windows system. My plan is to make it very low powered and to have only Vox running on it. Eventually I will build an embedded system which would ideally turn Vox into an appliance. My goal is to have it control all the computers in my home and anything else that can be controlled.

So I need a starting point. What do I need to send commands from VC on one machine to VC on another machine?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 05:38:34 PM »
I am very interested in this idea.
I have extra parts left over from a project, so I am building another windows system. My plan is to make it very low powered and to have only Vox running on it. Eventually I will build an embedded system which would ideally turn Vox into an appliance. My goal is to have it control all the computers in my home and anything else that can be controlled.

So I need a starting point. What do I need to send commands from VC on one machine to VC on another machine?
You will need at first VC on both machine and also eventghost. http://eventghost.net/
Eventghost has many plugins on board to control or send anything.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
VC and EventGhost is a powerful combination.

But to talk from one VC to another, you don't need EventGhost.  Lets say you want to send commands from VC A on Machine A to VC B on Machine B:

go into advanced options for both VC machines.

on VC A set the UDP send port to match the UDP listen port for machine B

then when you use the eventghost.send action on VC A it should show up on VC B

if you just send straight text like:

turn lights on

it will interpret this on VC B as though you had issued this voice command.  So as long as the command exists on VC B it should execute it.

Truth be told, I have never actually tried this, but it should work.  It is exactly the same idea as using tellvox.

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »
Thanks guys, I now have a starting point. I will first try to get computers A and B talking, then find a way to let Vox know that I want to control computer B only so that every command from that point on is only for computer B.

Currently my media computer is where it should be, in the living room, and my main computer is in the office and I also have my work laptop. The new computer I am building is very low powered so it can be kept on all the time and controlled by my plantronic Bluetooth headset. I want this computer to control all the others.

Looks like I will be buying a few more Vox license from you, James.   ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »

Looks like I will be buying a few more Vox license from you, James.   ;D

HA!  :biglaugh  After your last donation I think you are good for at least 6 machines before you need to worry about new licenses!