Author Topic: Samsung TV's  (Read 7818 times)

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Samsung TV's
« on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
I picked up a Samsung C series TV last year, (Wal-Mart on sale) I went with this model because it comes with a built-in Network connection. I have been controlling it with my Android phone over wifi using an app called Samygo, which is basically the same hardware remote with every function and button duplicated, and so far so good. It has a media center PC attached to it running XBMC which Vox controls perfectly.

Here is my question, I found some windows versions of the Samygo app and would like to know the best way to get vox to work with it. This way I can have Vox control the TV over the network and switch to XBMC when needed. This solution will work much better for me than using an IR blaster because the TV is already connected to the network and works perfectly with my phone over wifi and will reduce the amount of extra hardware needed.
Here is the link:

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Desktop_applications_list
I am playing with the GEMote (Multi-platform app that lets you control Samsung TVs within your local WLAN or LAN network. Supported are all Samsung C-model and D-model TVs starting from the 6 series.)

There are a few otheres such as  - Samsung Remote (Port of iOS app - TV Remote. For advanced control Samsung C-series TV)

What do you think, what's the best way to get Vox to control the TV over the network.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:23:48 PM by mparks »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung TV's
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
I picked up a Samsung C series TV last year, (Wal-Mart on sale) I went with this model because it comes with a built-in Network connection. I have been controlling it with my Android phone over wifi using an app called Samygo, which is basically the same hardware remote with every function and button duplicated, and so far so good. It has a media center PC attached to it running XBMC which Vox controls perfectly.

Here is my question, I found some windows versions of the Samygo app and would like to know the best way to get vox to work with it. This way I can have Vox control the TV over the network and switch to XBMC when needed. This solution will work much better for me than using an IR blaster because the TV is already connected to the network and works perfectly with my phone over wifi and will reduce the amount of extra hardware needed.
Here is the link:

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Desktop_applications_list
I am playing with the GEMote (Multi-platform app that lets you control Samsung TVs within your local WLAN or LAN network. Supported are all Samsung C-model and D-model TVs starting from the 6 series.)

There are a few otheres such as  - Samsung Remote (Port of iOS app - TV Remote. For advanced control Samsung C-series TV)

What do you think, what's the best way to get Vox to control the TV over the network.
I don't know if it help James to figured out which code can VC send to TV, but here is the Samsung smartTV device API guide.

http://freethetv2011.s3.amazonaws.com/DeviceAPI_Guide%5BV2.20%5D%5B1%5D.pdf

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
I have found this as well. I hope it helps
Content Library applications list
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Content_Library_applications_list#Remote_LAN_Control

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »
Honestly I can't make much sense of any of this stuff, and I don't own a smart TV so it's not like I can do a lot of experimenting.

I would look and ask around on the eventGhost forum.  Maybe you can find something there.

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
It's not that smart really, this is the model I have (http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN46D550K1FXZA) got it at Wal-Mart on sale for $450. The network connection works very well. You can't put apps or any thing on it so I only use my android phone to control it as a remote.

I am testing this application called " Samsung Remote" (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10999402&postcount=60).

There are 3 files in there - an executable written in Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (you'll need .NET Fx 4 runtime), iRemote.dll which is Samsung's API and iRemoteWrapper.dll which wraps the samsung's api into .NET

I have attached the files if you would like to take a look. All seems to be working well so far, all the buttons are functioning.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
and does this iRemoteWpfApp.exe actually work for you?  I tried it with my LN46D630 and it does not.

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »
I have this model (LN46D550K1F) and yes it is working fine. It did not work at first but once I turned the TV on and reset the IP. I then closed the program launched it again and it found it automatically. and listed it in the drop down menu after that all buttons are working fine

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »
Wow you really got a good deal on your TV.

It sucks, but it doesn't work on mine (I also don't have the option to use an iPhone or Android app to control it).  I don't really know why my TV has "Smart" written on it.  It is able to use DLNA sources and read files of a USB drive and that's about it.  It is sad that a TV released in 2010 or 2011(?) with a network connection is not able to receive commands.  Ridiculous really.

On my first try I bought the LED version (UN46D6000) which ran all the apps (netflix etc.) but I hated the picture on it and returned it to get this LCD (which I thought was otherwise identical to the first - but I was very wrong).

As far as the picture goes, I'm very happy with it.  Also the IR command set is pretty good.  There are lots of extra commands that you don't see on the remote.  Most important of course is "On" and "Off" as opposed to "Power Toggle".  Very important for writing macros!

I don't see myself writing a plugin if I have no way to test it.  Perhaps you could coerce the creator of this app to make you some kind of command line tool to access the same functions?  Then we could call it from VC using Launch.

Also, you should post whatever resources you have found on the EventGhost forum.  There are a lot of smart people there and one of them might have a compatible TV and be interested in creating an EG plugin.

Sorry.

Wanilton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
    • XBMC Brazil Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
Well, i have LG smart tv 32 LW5700-SA, The network connection works very well, this very easy put apps in my model, I  use my android tablet to control it as a remote. LG and Samsung have app for download in market, free app, works fine here.
I have a little trouble to pairs tablet with tv, but read forums, discover how work.
I don´t test using voice to control, for now.

www.xbmcbrasil.net
XBMC  Brazilian Community Forum - Admin
Windows 8.1 - XBMC Gotham Custom Plus - Aeon MQ 5
My Room Entertaiment´s
About me

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Thanks for trying guys.
if I could get command line access, then that should do the trick. I will try to reach the Dev on this.
By the way, which IR kit are you using?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 01:44:03 PM »
I was using a generic ehome transceiver (i.e. MCE remote with blaster) to send and receive IR on my computer using eventGhost.  I now only use it to receive IR (from my Amulet remote).

Now I send all my IR and RF signals with my HALX.  HALX is amazing!  If you search this forum you'll find some other posts where I mention its features.

Unfortunately you can't buy HALX yet in North America.  Hopefully soon.