Author Topic: VoxCommando Challenge #1 - Icons  (Read 5474 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
VoxCommando Challenge #1 - Icons
« on: November 07, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
I often have many version of VoxCommando on my task bar at once, and it would be nice to have icons that help me know which is which.

Attached is a zip with a bunch of icons and png files in it.  If anyone is up for a challenge, I would like to see icons that combine the VC microphone with the icons from other programs like XBMC and MediaMonkey.  A monkey hanging off a microphone?

If you create a png with transparency, an easy way to turn it into an icon is with this free website: http://www.convertico.com/

Here is an example:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:05:32 PM by jitterjames »

tarheels21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: VoxCommando Challenge #1 - Icons
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
Or just having the programs icon in a bubble next to the microphone

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:35:38 AM »
I often have many version of VoxCommando on my task bar at once, and it would be nice to have icons that help me know which is which.

Attached is a zip with a bunch of icons and png files in it.  If anyone is up for a challenge, I would like to see icons that combine the VC microphone with the icons from other programs like XBMC and MediaMonkey.  A monkey hanging off a microphone?

If you create a png with transparency, an easy way to turn it into an icon is with this free website: http://www.convertico.com/

Here is an example:

Hi James,
here is the WMC and MM-edition as PNG (sorry here the New Version with ICONS and JPG)

Greetings Kalle
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:58:02 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
Nice!  Thanks Kalle.

Now I have to think about this.  I was only thinking of replacing the icon used to launch, VoxCommando, not to replace the icons used to indicate on, off and standby.  If it is possible, maybe I can make this a user configurable option.

Since the size of icons is often quite small, I think I would prefer to have versions without the extra text at the top.  In my sample I thought I could get away with using XBMC since it is short enough to be visible even when small.

that's just my opinion though.  Some people may use giant desktop icons on their systems!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:31:15 PM »
Nice!  Thanks Kalle.

Now I have to think about this.  I was only thinking of replacing the icon used to launch, VoxCommando, not to replace the icons used to indicate on, off and standby.  If it is possible, maybe I can make this a user configurable option.

Since the size of icons is often quite small, I think I would prefer to have versions without the extra text at the top.  In my sample I thought I could get away with using XBMC since it is short enough to be visible even when small.

that's just my opinion though.  Some people may use giant desktop icons on their systems!

Hi James,

i change this, no problem  ;) What size you need? 128x128 and 256x256 is ok?

Kalle
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:35:08 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
128x128 or larger is good.  You don't need to do more than one size.  I think the web site http://www.convertico.com/ will automatically create all the smaller sizes automatically inside the icon file... (I hope)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 09:14:44 PM »
128x128 or larger is good.  You don't need to do more than one size.  I think the web site http://www.convertico.com/ will automatically create all the smaller sizes automatically inside the icon file... (I hope)

Ok James,

i am on work  :'(  , I change it in the next few hours  ;D

Kalle

here we go  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:56:56 AM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
nice.  I've made it so you can override all the taskbar icons by putting icons in a VC subfolder called resources.  You just need to place the icons you want to use into that folder and name them

green.ico
yellow.ico
red.ico

I'm going to try to release it today.  I expect that there will be bugs...

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
nice.  I've made it so you can override all the taskbar icons by putting icons in a VC subfolder called resources.  You just need to place the icons you want to use into that folder and name them

green.ico
yellow.ico
red.ico

I'm going to try to release it today.  I expect that there will be bugs...

James a perfect ico editor freeware, there are

http://icofx.ro/

I'm really excited about the new version of VC  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:33:32 AM by Kalle »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »
nice.  I've made it so you can override all the taskbar icons by putting icons in a VC subfolder called resources.  You just need to place the icons you want to use into that folder and name them

green.ico
yellow.ico
red.ico

I'm going to try to release it today.  I expect that there will be bugs...

i forgotten the XBMC-icons, sorry here is it

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:04:45 PM »
Ok I am missing something here.  I downloaded Kalle's Media Monkey yellow vox icon and copied it to the vox resources directory and renamed it yellow.iso and as far as I can tell nothing happened.  I would appreciate some guidance as Kalle put some good work into these icons and I would like to incorporate them into my desktop.  I have my new Niles outdoor speakers set up and with Vox and the Amulet, I am a happy camper.  Now I need to get everything simplified so the family can use. ;D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
Ok I am missing something here.  I downloaded Kalle's Media Monkey yellow vox icon and copied it to the vox resources directory and renamed it yellow.iso and as far as I can tell nothing happened.  I would appreciate some guidance as Kalle put some good work into these icons and I would like to incorporate them into my desktop.  I have my new Niles outdoor speakers set up and with Vox and the Amulet, I am a happy camper.  Now I need to get everything simplified so the family can use. ;D

Thanks for the compliment. Would you change the desktop icon, or the overlay icons?

For desktop-icon, right click on the link to VoxCommando, then button "Change Icon"option.

Kalle
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:32:00 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »
What Kalle said.

I know this sounds crazy, but a while ago there was a big bug that was causing VoxCommando to keep listening even when you switched to off mode, and it turned out that the alternate icons were the cause (it took me FOREVER to figure it out).  The simplest solution was to just get rid of them.  But as Kalle says you can change your desktop icon to whatever, but when the program is running all the status icons will use the normal red green and yellow.

Maybe I can come up with something for the overlay icons to use them, but the application icons in the taskbar etc. I don't want to mess with.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:36:35 PM by jitterjames »

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »
All I want to do is change the desktop icons so I can easily pick out which starts xbmc and which starts mediamonkey.  I will try Kalle's solution.  Thanks.

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
Yeah that worked.  Thank you Kalle.