Author Topic: Can I set a prefix to disable for X amount of time since last issued command?  (Read 1950 times)

wannaspeed

• View Profile
Hi, I would like to use a prefix but have it disable for 5-10 seconds after a command is issued. That way if i'm using navigation, or issuing several commands, I don't have to say "Jarvis down" Jarvis Left 2" "Jarvis down 3" I can just say "Jarvis down" "left 2" "down 3"

Or is it better to just not use a prefix and use the auto standby feature instead? Maybe make the Listen command the prefix instead?

Last question is it better to have a listen command or prefix with more syllables or less? Right now I haven't decided on a name and I had a hard time remembering the correct phrases, so I have multiple Listen Commands "listen, hey, can you hear me, wakey wakey, good afternoon, good evening, etc along with "computer, vox, commander, eve" But I noticed when watching movies sometimes it thinks it hears the command and wakes itself up. What's a good way to keep the mic open but not issue random commands?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
To be clear, you do not want to "disable" the prefix mode.  Once you enable prefix mode it remains enabled but you can change which mode VoxCommando is listening in.

On, Standby, or Off.

When VC is "On" you can either say a command with or without a prefix.

When VC is in "Standby" you must say the prefix unless the command in question is set to "always on".

When VC is "Off" you cannot use voice commands at all, but events and other methods of triggering commands and actions will still work.

What you should do is continue to use Prefix mode, but you can also create a command to "listen" and use the auto-standby feature.  Then you can use prefix when you want, or you can tell VoxCommando to listen and it will continue to do so, allowing you to issue commands with, or without a prefix for a certain amount of time, and then it will go back to standby mode.

As for prefixes and commands that tell VC to listen you should use common sense.  In both cases any single syllable phrase is going to obviously cause a lot of false positives and should always be avoided.  It should also by obvious that if you use 12 different commands to tell VC to listen then you will be roughly 12 times more likely to turn VC on by accident, although it's non-linear in that it will really depend on what the actual phrases are that you use and on what all your other voice commands are.

As a general guideline, each prefix should contain at least 3 syllables and you should not use more than 2 or 3 prefixes at once.

The command to listen should be longer (2 words, and at least 4 syllables) and I would not use more than 3 phrases for it either.  You also have the option of setting the listen command to not be "always on" so that you must also say the prefix in order to trigger this command.

As far as remembering the command phrasing goes, pick 3 or 4 options and after a while you will find that you are probably always using the same one or two phrases and then you can delete the ones you never use to tighten things up.

wannaspeed

• View Profile
Awesome! I didn't realize the prefix was used only in standby mode, or that always listening commands ignored the prefix. Understanding exactly how each mode handles commands makes it easier to setup properly.

I originally thought the program had to be "on/green" in order to issue any commands that weren't always listening.
I thought by adding a prefix I would have to say the prefix for all commands regardless of mode. So I left prefix off and made a poor mans prefix by setting the Listen command to always listening and having it go into standby mode after 20 secs. But always having to wake the program really wasn't ideal either.

I have since changed all that, I set the prefix to Airia. (Aria didn't work, it would turn blue for a command but never execute it.) I turned off always listening for the Listen command so I use the prefix. "Aira Listen" If I want to issue a string of commands. Hopefully this wont be too short.  I still have the auto standby set to 30 secs. So far this seems to be working well. But ill have to test it more while watching a movie. Thanks again for the thorough response.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
By the way, it seems like you're having a good time exploring VC's capabilities, but you may save some time by consulting the wiki as well.

e.g. Several of the questions and issues that have come up so far are covered on the Getting Started page.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started

A Google Search of the wiki usually can help find useful info as well.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

wannaspeed

• View Profile
By the way, it seems like you're having a good time exploring VC's capabilities, but you may save some time by consulting the wiki as well.

e.g. Several of the questions and issues that have come up so far are covered on the Getting Started page.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Getting_Started

A Google Search of the wiki usually can help find useful info as well.

Yeah I read that after I posted one of my previous questions. I've watched videos, read areas of the wiki and seen more information than I can keep track of. Maybe I'm trying to do too much too quickly, but when I run across an issue I can't remember if it was something I already read or where I saw it and when I go searching for answers I start reading other information that takes me in a new direction. The first few days I was playing with the program a lot of the website wasn't pulling up too, so I was just playing with it on my own.