Author Topic: voxwav bluetooth ability  (Read 7660 times)

JoshK

• View Profile
Re: voxwav bluetooth ability
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 12:51:29 AM »
Just to reiterate, I do not intend to add Bluetooth recording as an option to VoxWav any time soon, mainly because I don't know how it can be done.  This does not seem to be something that many people have been able to figure out.  I have looked around for a free app to record high quality audio using Bluetooth (as a first step to establish that it is even possible) and I can't find any that work at all on either my phone or my tablet.  Please bear in mind that using bluetooth to perform Google speech recognition is not the same as recording Bluetooth audio.  Also recording Bluetooth directly to a hihgly compressed file on your device is not the same thing either.  We need to be able to stream uncompressed pcm data through a TCP socket.

If I come across a good resource that helps be figure out how this could be possible I will see about integrating it into the app, but until then, what I'm saying is... don't hold your breath!  It may never happen.

I've seem some people talking about extending the range of Bluetooth dongles.  Maybe that is an option for some.

Hi James,

It certainly appears that very few apps support it.

Here's the only one I could find that claims to - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bluetooth.recorder

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »
I've tried a few. That was one of the ones I tried and it does not work, at least not with my hardware.  I have a galaxy s2 and an Acer A510 tablet.  Tried both with a Motorola headset.

Mirac78

• View Profile
    • M.S.Photography
Re: Re: Re: voxwav bluetooth ability
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »
I think he mean the BT range when you have some walls or floors between the dongle and your headset. In my case the BT signal goes weak after a couple of some meters and if you want to use a headset in a bigger house this solution is not ideal.

I just tested my BT setup and it's work in apartment below mine. Actually i'm suprised that work in this condition, but VC recives commands withouth any problem..

Edit: call me crazy, two apartments down and still works, not perfect but work. My wifi on phone almost lose signal but BT is still connected. Unbeliveble for me..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:38:51 PM by Mirac78 »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
It is possible your BT dongle is a good one (class 1 with 100mW and a theoretical range of 100 meter)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Communication_and_connection
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:10:42 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Mirac78

• View Profile
    • M.S.Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »
It is possible your BT dongle is a good one (class 1 with 100mW and a theoretical rang of 100 meter)

I don't have papers anymore but i read something about 100 meter, but i was think that is classic marketing trick. Price was just few euros. Will test with some other bt headset, maybe SBH52 has good reception to..

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
Pictures of dongle (since no papers)....or it didn't happen.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 09:09:26 PM »
 :biglaugh

***********  get excited and make things  **********

Mirac78

• View Profile
    • M.S.Photography
Re: Re: voxwav bluetooth ability
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 02:25:05 AM »
:-D

Here is the picture..

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »
I think the headset is at least as important as the dongle since we are primarily interested in sending data from the headset. The transmission signal strength of traditional BT headsets is bound to be quite low since one of their primary selling points is usually long battery life.  To get extended range on a Bluetooth headset you probably need to have class 1 at both ends, but class 1 headsets are rare and expensive, and if you are going to be paying more than $100 then you might as well consider an option with better sound because Bluetooth is still not really a great choice for VoxCommando in terms of accuracy.

That said you can always have a look at something like the callpod dragon headset paired with a decent class 1 dongle.  This should provide a whole home solution, even for a pretty large multi-story house.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »
:biglaugh

With this set up, we could control our homes from Mars.

Mirac78

• View Profile
    • M.S.Photography
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »
Or this, but .... $$$

http://www.motorola.com/us/accessories-bluetooth-headsets/Whisper-Wireless-Headset/whisper-wireless-headset.html

This one look really goot but price is to much. My sbh52 was gift but cost about 100$. Primary use was with my phone, but after i found voxcommando is on all the time. In normal use, talk time about 2hrs and pushed notifications to scrnn last about two days. Paired with PC and use to control VC one day and it's empty.

It has builit in fm radio, smal oled display for calls and notifications, loudspeaker,multipoint, and cool thing is that you can use it like small phone, anwering withouth any wires. Much better then holding phone on ear.

I setup mine to start some Tasker task for lamps :-)