Author Topic: Skype IM message bug?  (Read 4632 times)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Skype IM message bug?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 05:53:29 AM »
If you want use your iPhone to execute commands in VoxCommando, you can install the "mobiola-headset" app on your phone, which works very well as wireless mic.

http://mobiola.com/mobiola-headset
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
Hi Deathtech,

I just wanted to chime in and say that I have been following this thread and doing testing with Nime5ter.

I have installed an old version of skype 3 on my S2 Android and it seems to work fine 100% of the time, but with a new version of Skype 4 on the same device it fails on the first command (message) , then works after that.

Here is the link for skype 3 apk that i used: http://www.androiddrawer.com/9751/download-skype-free-im-video-calls-3-2-0-6673-app-apk/

I don't know if it is possible to install an old version of skype on iOs.  My guess is that you would need to have a jailbroken device.  Anyway, I'm 99.99% sure this is entirely the fault of MS and there is nothing I can do to get around it.

In our tests, it seems to consitently work on the second command and then keep working until you stop sending commands so the problem doesn't seem too hard to work around.  

As Nime5ter mentioned you may want to explain your ultimate goals since there may be a better way to do this without even using skype.  For example, you could create an http or tcp listener using the TCP plugin and send VC commands that way.  You would obviously need to forward ports etc. if you were trying to access VC from outside your LAN.

Anyway, the ball is now in your court.  Let us know if you need more info.

deathtech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
Thanks guys for the support here and advice.

Here is my goal, just to use the skype plugin along with skype to send IM messages from my iOS phone no matter where I am and have them executed on VC. this works really well, even while on 4g i can use skype to send commands to VC. So not necessarily just a wireless mic i'm using it for, but more so of the IM feature.

Only issue is, as we all know about now, is where I have to send the command at least twice. Is this really an issue? no its not an issue to send it twice. But thought i'd bring it up just incase it was an easy fix. Which apparently is not, due to either Skype or the iOS version of skype.

It has been tested by James and nime5ter that it works 100% with android app, but sadly not the ios app. having the android app on my iphone is not possible.

So thats that ! :)

EDIT:

about this James:

For example, you could create an http or tcp listener using the TCP plugin and send VC commands that way.  You would obviously need to forward ports etc. if you were trying to access VC from outside your LAN.

Sadly i have no experience in this area on creating a tcp listener, or much programming experience at all for that matter. so this would be rather difficult for me, hence why i was relying on the built in plugin with skype :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:27:28 PM by deathtech »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:42 AM »
Jut to clarify for all users: the problem with the chat received notifications occurs when sending chat messages from new versions of the Skype app for mobile devices (Skype 4), and is not specific to iOs.

In my initial testing, I already had a Skype app installed and it was Skype 3 version, which is why it was working. After verifying the issue with Skype 4 on iOs, I installed a new version of the Skype app on one of our Android devices and had the same problem.

James then reverted back to an older version on the Android and the problem was solved. It may be easier for Android users to revert to older versions of the app to get around the issue if need be than it is for iOs users.

@deathtech - if you haven't yet tried it, since the first message is just to establish the connection and its message is irrelevant, you shouldn't need to copy and paste the specific message you want to send each time. Send a quick dummy message the first time, and then send your real message.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

deathtech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 12:38:57 PM »
You got it nime5ter, that's exactly what I do now. send a quick dummy message then my command.

Thanks again for the support. I do have a the workaround as stated above and will use this.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 08:27:09 PM »
Though this thread is few months old ... I am having same issue... What I noticed is if Skype is not minimized and on contacts tabs with a contact not the sender (I use echo) highlighted the event will generate ... Otherwise good luck ...

Hopefully one day this will be solved or a replacement for Skype can be found
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »
On my computer, whether Skype is minimized etc. doesn't seem to matter. The workaround solution is always the same: send the first Skype chat msg twice. Or rather, send 2 messages one after the other. The first message can be blank.

The 2nd message always generates an event for me, no problem. And after that, every chat message sent generates an event as long as there is no extended interruption -- say, 10 or 15 mins.

The issue is on the Skype side (if you look around the Internet, you'll see other programs currently have the same problem with the Skype api and nobody can figure out a solution), and I doubt Microsoft will address it.

In terms of "other solutions" apart from Skype, it depends what the goal is. If you mean other solutions for communicating with VC remotely, various possibilities have been posted before.

As mentioned above, you can create a TCP listener. To access it beyond your LAN, you'll need to use port forwarding and not everyone is comfortable doing that.

Setting up a VPN is another option.

Android users can try the Tasker route.

Or, one could customize the gmail notifier python code I posted the other day, but if you want instant responsiveness this may not be ideal.

Again, if instant responsiveness is not required, using IFTTT with the new Watcher plugin is also an option.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:21:17 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »

If you mean other solutions for communicating with VC remotely, various possibilities have been posted before.

As mentioned above, you can create a TCP listener. To access it beyond your LAN, you'll need to use port forwarding and not everyone is comfortable doing that.

Setting up a VPN is another option.

Android users can try the Tasker route.

Or, one could customize the gmail notifier python code I posted the other day, but if you want instant responsiveness this may not be ideal.

Again, if instant responsiveness is not required, using IFTTT with the new Watcher plugin is also an option.

that is what I meant by Skype replacement ... as it is many solutions in one package ... I have VC set to execute any Skype message that starts with ## ... or I can call in and talk to VC (VC will switch sound in/out during call, then switch back) ... I can tell VC to Skype my parents or siblings ... all that in one neat package that generate many VC events that made writing macros for all that a breeze...
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures