Author Topic: Super New and Super Lost  (Read 4511 times)

Nole27

• View Profile
Super New and Super Lost
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I installed xbmc last night and stumbled across VC cool program but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm using it to control a separate PC and I can scroll but I can't open or play any movies. The PC I originally tried to control was an XP with VC on Windows 7. I read last night that XP wasn't compatible with VC so I tried to use on a separate 7 machine with VC stil on the original 7 PC and I'm still having the same problem. I can scroll but I can't open any movies  :bonk. Any hep would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Super New and Super Lost
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
I installed xbmc last night and stumbled across VC cool program but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm using it to control a separate PC and I can scroll but I can't open or play any movies. The PC I originally tried to control was an XP with VC on Windows 7. I read last night that XP wasn't compatible with VC so I tried to use on a separate 7 machine with VC stil on the original 7 PC and I'm still having the same problem. I can scroll but I can't open any movies  :bonk. Any hep would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Nole27 and welcome to forum.
Which version XBMC (Eden/Frodo) and also which version of VC do you use? What shows the history windows in VC after the "play movie XYZ" command?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:43:22 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Nole27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »
Thanks for the greeting and your quick response. I'm using Frodo and the newest version of VC. When I use the "scroll" or "go right" or "go left" command I can see a megaphone with a percentage telling me how well VC understood me. When I use the "play movie" command it says VC.NotRecognized. I'm not sure if it's saying it doesn't recognize the command or the movie title. The movies are on the PC I'm trying to control with VC. Is it an issue of inputting the proper pathway? If so how do I link VC with the machine running XBMC?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
Please follow this tutorial and then get back to us if you still need help

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Thanks for the greeting and your quick response. I'm using Frodo and the newest version of VC. When I use the "scroll" or "go right" or "go left" command I can see a megaphone with a percentage telling me how well VC understood me. When I use the "play movie" command it says VC.NotRecognized. I'm not sure if it's saying it doesn't recognize the command or the movie title. The movies are on the PC I'm trying to control with VC. Is it an issue of inputting the proper pathway? If so how do I link VC with the machine running XBMC?
by the way, do you have generate a XML for XBMC frodo in VC?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:41:18 PM by Kalle »

Nole27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Well the tutorial helped. All commands work now except for the play movie commands. I think it has to do with sharing the library on my xbmc machine to my VC machine. How would I go about doing that? Thanks for the help guys

Nole27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
 Hey Kalle, Yeah that's the problem I'm having now. Is there a way to share from my xbmc machine to my VC machine?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
Hey Kalle, Yeah that's the problem I'm having now. Is there a way to share from my xbmc machine to my VC machine?
If you click "generate XML Frodo", you must see similar like in the attach

[attachment=1]

otherwise you must check the "xjson" and "xsql" plugin (this is also explained in the video)

[attachment=2]

I hope it helps
Kalle

Nole27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
Thanks Kalle. When I try to access the files on my xbmc machine the folder is empty. I assume it's empty because it's looking for .db files. Do I need to have the same movies that are on my xbmc machine on VC machine? Thanks for your patience.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »
Thanks Kalle. When I try to access the files on my xbmc machine the folder is empty. I assume it's empty because it's looking for .db files. Do I need to have the same movies that are on my xbmc machine on VC machine? Thanks for your patience.
I think here is something misunderstood. In the json VC plugin do you setup the settings for your XBMC machine which you want control (IP, port, ...) Check your database in XBMC and take a look on your firewall settings too.

Nole27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »
I have the correct port and ip in json. Is there another setting I should have turned on?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »
You need to tell the xSQL plugin where to find your database files.  If XBMC is running on a different machine from VoxCommando, then you either need to locate the .db files via a network share, or you need to copy the .db files to the computer running VoxCommando.

The other option is to get an updated version of the xJson plugin which allows for an alternative way to get the info.  When you are running XBMC on a another machine, this is a better method, but it is not yet part of the official release.

Also, of course your XBMC must be set up correctly with all your media properly scanned to the library.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:05:25 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
When I try to access the files on my xbmc machine the folder is empty.

I think you need to explain in a little bit more detail what you actually mean by this.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »
to use the alternative method of generating xml using json, see this post:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=984.msg8237#msg8237

Nole27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
When using the new xjson I get an error saying Object reference not set to an instance of an object.