Author Topic: Problems With Virtual Audio Cable  (Read 3704 times)

ibanez6

• View Profile
Problems With Virtual Audio Cable
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »
Hello! So I've recently started using VoxCommando and have been loving it! The possibilities are endless with this little application and I've already had a lot of fun controlling media playback and other things with my voice.

Basically, I'm running VoxCommando on my Dell laptop which also acts as my media server. I'm using Skype on my iPhone to call into another Skype account on my server which then passes the audio through Virtual Audio Cable. It's been working great!

Well.. At least it WAS until today. Now for some reason, I'm not able to get any audio into VoxCommando. I can see under the windows recording devices panel that when I speak, there is audio on Virtual Audio Cable 1. I have even routed that cable into one of my audio recording applications to test and it works just fine.

After some messing around, I opened the TTS control panel outside of VoxCommando (through windows control panel), and have verified that the TTS recognition is no longer able to receive audio via Virtual Audio Cable. When I set the input to my built in laptop mic it works just fine and I can see the meter showing a signal. But when I use the Virtual Audio Cable as the input, it receives absolutely nothing.

I've tried restarting the computer multiple times. I've tried a fresh installation of VoxCommando (although the problem seems to be with the TTS engine itself). At this point I'm at a loss for what changed in the last 12 hours to make this not work anymore.

Has anyone using the Skype method experienced this issue before? My computer had a TON of windows updates that it went through today, so it's always possible something in there rendered it useless. I haven't really done anything other than that.

Any ideas? I'm going crazy trying to figure this out!!

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
Re: Problems With Virtual Audio Cable
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
hi ibanez6

I have a funny feeling that the windows update had sommat to do with your problem. Try a system restore first, see if that helps.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

ibanez6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:47:32 AM »
hi ibanez6

I have a funny feeling that the windows update had sommat to do with your problem. Try a system restore first, see if that helps.

Unfortunately, I did not have system restore enabled on this machine. I tried removing every update I installed today, but that didn't seem to have any effect. Short of reformatting this system and starting over, I'm not sure what to try. And that's not really a feasible option since I want my computer to be completely up to date for security and other reasons.

Looks like I may need to find another solution for interacting with this system.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:06:31 AM »
Did you've check the VAC settings again? You can also try first to reinstalling the VAC software. I had never problems with VAC, but the routing part is sometimes tricky.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

ibanez6

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:41 AM »
Did you've check the VAC settings again? You can also try first to reinstalling the VAC software. I had never problems with VAC, but the routing part is sometimes tricky.

I have checked all of the settings and reinstalled the application. One thing I just remembered, I was messing around with the recognition profiles in the TTS panel right before this started happening. I deleted the default profile and made one with my name. I'm wondering how I could reset the Microsoft Speech Engine back to it's default state?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:19:12 AM »
Ok, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the speech profile and if you want the untrained default speech profile back, create a new one and give it the name "default" or how ever the name was before - this will create a untrained speech profile.

Please try following in VC: go to "Options" ->"advanced" tab, then click on "recognition" button (this will show you the windows speech settings). As next click on "advanced" button to open the "audio input properties", then choose "use this audio device" for speech recognition. Cose all windows with "ok" and restart VoxCommando. I hope this will solve your problem.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:29:38 AM by Kalle »

ibanez6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:33:06 AM »
Hey Kalle, thanks for the reply! I have VC set up exactly like that. I've been using it for 3 days now with no issues, and now I can't get it to work at all. I can actually click listen to device and hear myself talk through Line 1 on Virtual Audio Cable, so I know the signal is there. And I have everything setup exactly as it should be. This is surely a mystery. I just can't think of what Windows Update might have done to create this problem if it is indeed the culprit. Maybe tomorrow will bring some fresh ideas.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »
you can try to create a second line in VAC, maybe it would be help  ::hmm
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 04:56:24 AM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »
Maybe you should give the Mobiola Headset app a try instead.

http://mobiola.com/mobiola-headset

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
There's a short user demo of Mobiola headset working with VC and XBMC, in case that helps in the decision-making:
&index=38
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

ibanez6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 02:22:42 AM »
Sorry for the delay everyone. I now have everything up and running again thanks to the Headset app. Pretty neat! Thanks for all the help!