Author Topic: Using Remotely  (Read 2531 times)

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Using Remotely
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
I have vox on my windows 7 laptop and use it to control xbmc that is installed on a windows xp desktop. Is this possible?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Using Remotely
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
I have vox on my windows 7 laptop and use it to control xbmc that is installed on a windows xp desktop. Is this possible?
Hi pmdaniels73 and welcome to VoxCommando forum. Here is a nice video tutorial "how to configure VC and XBMC Frodo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-9QNjEdNhI
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:10:09 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »

Yes.

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:38:46 AM »
Thanks guys. I figured it out right after I posted the question. However I am having a terrible time getting vox to recognize any voice commands. I keep getting vc not recognized.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:32:03 AM »
Hi pmdaniels,

Since I'm in Euro time right now, I'll try to cover some basic ground before James gets up. First, it's a bit hard to help you without understanding your setup or more about when VC is not recognizing you, so it would be helpful to provide more information in the future. The following is offered without knowing anything about your system setup.

If VC is in green listen mode and is claiming "VC.NotRecognized" *every* time you issue a command, rather than just some of the time, that may signal one kind of problem. If it understands some things but not others, that might signal something else.

If you have multiple microphones set up, it might be listening to the wrong mic. Alternatively, you could be saying a command that's not actually in its list of commands. Or an existing command you're trying to use may have a parameter that isn't properly configured for your particular computer set-up (for example if it's looking for files in one directory but you keep them somewhere else, or if you're asking it for something from your media library but haven't yet run GenXML), etc.

You could start by taking a look at the FAQ in the wiki--in particular, http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=FAQ#Why_doesn.27t_VC_understand_me_all_the_time.3F

If you think your mic is set up properly for VC, try first to issue a very basic command, for example: Manually put VC in "Listen mode" (green) and then tell it "Don't Listen" or "Ignore Me" or "Buzz off". It should then switch to standby mode. Or, vice versa: Put VC in yellow standby mode, and tell it to "Pay Attention". It should switch to the green mode.

If that works, then VC understands you. So then you can move on to figuring out what's wrong with the commands it isn't recognizing. If it's specifically having difficulty understanding your XBMC-related commands, this would be helpful to know.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:48:00 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »
Thanks guys. I figured it out right after I posted the question. However I am having a terrible time getting vox to recognize any voice commands. I keep getting vc not recognized.
Some basic questions are - Which VC setup do you use for XBMC (Frodo or Eden)? If you use "Frodo", did you have activate the XJason- and Xsql plugin in VC? Which command doesn't work, only a few from XBMC or also the basic commands like "pay attention"/"Don't Listen" ...? What show the history window in VC, is there any orange marked?

If you use your notebook built-in mic, it can be make some trouble (bad mic quality) if you are to far from your notebook and also if your environment is noisy too (loud music/voices). Sometimes it can be helpful to reduce the mic input level in the audio settings. I recommend you to use a headset or another mic solution that is closer to your mouth - we have also a microphone guide/matrix here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvOHRgLlzw1rdEM0c2tpTjdGTkhPaXBTWENjc3JMNEE&usp=sharing

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Microphones

I think the very good troubleshooting explanation from Nime5ter in the post above contains all the information to solve the most basic problems.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
I wake up, and my work is done.  ;D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »
I wake up, and my work is done.  ;D
do not forget to pay us for slave labor  :biglaugh

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
That's the great thing about SLAVE labour.  Consider yourself paid.  ::club

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:09:06 AM »
That's the great thing about SLAVE labour.  Consider yourself paid.  ::club
Thanks master, thanks so much - is there any other thing that we can do for you?  ::bow

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »
First of all thanks for everyone for all your help. I am having the issue with itunes, mediamonkey, and xbmc frodo. I mainly want to use frodo. I followed the instructions on this video
a couple of times. It does seem to follow some commands like play and stop etc. I think I have found something that may be related to the problem though. My mic volume keeps defaulting to 4 no matter what i set it at. I am not sure how to remedy that. I have looked and all i can find is updating the drivers which I have done. I am running windows 7 64 bit.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Try to run windows speech recognition setup.  When you select a mic it will then ask you to talk about peter and the pickled peppers or something, this part sets the default volume for your mic.

Of course it may depend on what kind of mic you are using.

pmdaniels73

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »
Thank ya Mr. James! Worked like a charm. Now for one last question. And I apologize for not being so tech savy like the others here. I have xbmc frodo working fine remotely. Can this be done with mediamonkey?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
No, sorry, not really.  I mean, there is usually a way, but not anything simple, and I've never done it myself.