Author Topic: Home Automation  (Read 7901 times)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Home Automation
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
Wish I'd seen it sooner, maybe in a couple months I'll throw some money at it. The description suggests it has the same failings as others when it comes to learning in that it is waiting for certain brands and likely won't recognise my crap old projector screen.

Looks to be available now though? http://halx.co.uk/halx-home-automation-controller.html

Some of that site suggests that you might be able to do what I'm trying to achieve, I. Each. I connect one of my blaster buds to a repeater which will in turn cascade the signal into the open air.

Will nip to my local electrical store this weekend hopefully.

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »
the powermid should work fine to extend the signals you are already sending.  I think the powermid can work with just about anything since it does not need to actually understand the signal, just repeat it.  The halx can also send IR via RF directly to the 2nd powermid, I believe.

As for whether the halx would be able to learn from your particular brand of projector I could not say.  It all depends on the frequency used and the modulation protocol.  Heh heh, can you tell I really have no idea what I'm talking about?

If you can tell Rebel the brand and model number he might have some idea about the likelihood of it halx being able to work with it.  Obviously it is not possible for it to work with everything.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 02:51:06 AM »
Wish I'd seen it sooner, maybe in a couple months I'll throw some money at it. The description suggests it has the same failings as others when it comes to learning in that it is waiting for certain brands and likely won't recognise my crap old projector screen.

Looks to be available now though? http://halx.co.uk/halx-home-automation-controller.html

Some of that site suggests that you might be able to do what I'm trying to achieve, I. Each. I connect one of my blaster buds to a repeater which will in turn cascade the signal into the open air.

Will nip to my local electrical store this weekend hopefully.

-P
If you want controlled your complete home with RF (433MHz for Europe or 315MHz for North-America) and IR with one device, the HALX is a great solution and Rebel (the creator of Halx) give a very good support. So if you have any problems with a IR frequency, he can update the firmware to solved it. But I know, you have a Tellstick and would not spend to much money for a other controller - so is the USB-UIRT a good solution for your IR stuff. There is a plugin for Eventghost and I haven't found a IR device that doesn't work with USB-UIRT. You can learn any IR remote on it with the EG-Plugin and it is very small (3cmx5cmx1cm).

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:49 AM »
Thanks as always for your advice guys.

I really like the look of HALX and will certainly be considering it.  I will definitely get one eventually, perhaps when I move to bigger living quarters.

The IR side is working pretty great using Eventghost and my Microsoft IR receiver/blaster, but I'm limited to two buds.  I think logically I can put one of the buds over any IR repeater and have them blast out into the open air and I'm certain I've seen a cheap repeater at my local electrical hobby store so I'm going to ask if they think it will work.  No harm in trying, they're good folk and will take it back if it doesn't suit.

I'll let you know how I get on!

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb