Author Topic: Home Automation  (Read 7742 times)

tarheels21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Home Automation
« on: November 07, 2010, 05:25:23 PM »
Hey
Im working on almost complete home automation, but im not sure where to start. Id like light switches, tvs, etc. to work on this but does anybody have any ideas for this? Also I need to work out the commands im going to need to do this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Steven

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:49:15 PM »
I only have experience with x10, but I wouldn't recommend x10 because it is not very reliable and does not offer very comprehensive control.  If you are looking at some other hardware, you should try to verify that there is already some way to control it.  Maybe it comes with a command line utility (this is what I use for x10) or maybe there exists a plugin for EventGhost.  VoxCommando can send commands to EventGhost which can then be sent to your homeautomation equipment, if there is a suitable plugin.

When you figure out what hardware you want to use, let me know and I'll try to help you set it up.

I don't know if there are too many users on this site that are using home automation hardware so you may want to look elsewhere as well for advice on what to get and how it can be controlled.  If you haven't already done so, you should take a look and maybe ask some questions on the eventGhost forum.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:58:14 PM »
Also, electronic devices like TVs and Stereos is usually a whole other challenge, different from light switches etc.

You will be limited by the devices you have / buy / can afford.  TVs can usually be controlled either by RS-232 (serial) or by IR (infrared).  Same basic idea for stereos.  Stereos that support rs-232 tend to be quite expensive.

Controlling IR devices usually involves taping a small emitter in front of the infrared "eye" on your TV or stereo, and sending information from a "blaster".  Some windows media center remotes come with a blaster function, and this can be controlled through EventGhost.

It may also be possible to have a device that points at your electronics and emits signals in the same way as a remote (i.e. from a distance), but I don't know about this.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:06:19 PM by jitterjames »

tarheels21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »
I have no problem with making my hardware. Im Just not sure where I need to start with this project. Also how do vox and eventghost work together?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »
VoxCommando sends messages to EventGhost through the network using UDP.  These messages show up in eventGhost as event that may optionally have a payload (which is bascically just additional data).  You can find information on this in the VoxCommando guide (wiki)

so for example you might sent the event volume with the payload of 60, to set the volume to 60.

EventGhost needs to have a plugin installed call broadcaster which allows it to listen to these network messages though UDP.  VoxCommando does not need anything additional installed.  You just need to create a command with an EventGhost action.

If you need help I can send you a voice command file with some examples in it.

As for where to start, if you want to do home automation, you really need to start by deciding what hardware you want to use, and then figuring out the best way to control it.

tarheels21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:21:32 AM »
Okay I have eventghost up and running with vox. Im planning on using an IR system for the tvs, stereos etc. Something like this for the lights maybe?http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay-10/ It is a relay over IP system which ill probaly ended up designing and building myself.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »
things to consider:

IR control of TV.  I don't know about other TVs, and I don't know if this problem would be overcome by use a serial connection, but my TV doesn't provide much in the way of control via the ir and a remote.  For example,
- there is no direct way to control the brightness.  I need to first press menu, then use arrows or hit a number to go to the brightness setting, and then use the arrows to adjust it up or down.
- there is no way to set the volume to a specific setting, only up or down by small increments, and there is no way of reading the current volume.
- power, and this is the big one for me, there is no way to turn the tv off, or turn the tv on.  I have only a power-toggle.  That is fine if I am in the room, but if I am elsewhere and i don't know if it is on or off and I want to make sure that it is off there is no way to do that.

I imagine the situation would be similar for stereos.

the web relay 10 looks like it would probably be good if all you want to do is to be able to turn stuff on and off.  Usually with lighting, it is nice to have the ability to control brightness levels.  Also the solution looks like it would require a lot of wiring.  OK if you are building a new space, but not great if you just want to add to an existing room.

If you have not already done so, you should probably have a look around this site: http://www.smarthome.com

tarheels21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
This website has a serial port computer interface.
http://www.systech.com/
Could software be wrote to communicate with lights, tvs and such?

tarheels21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 12:29:15 PM »
This website has a serial port computer interface.
http://www.systech.com/
Could software be wrote to communicate with lights, tvs and such?
I don't know it is kind of hard to tell from looking at their website, just what they are doing.

You should probably take a look at Crestron
 http://www.crestron.com/.

Christian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but thought it would be tidy to stick to it, instead of making a new one..

I'm setting up a home automation system these days, and this is what I've done so far..

All my AV equipment, (TV, Set Top Box, Surround reciever and DVD player) is controlled by a IR sender (home electronics TIRA2).
For this I use EventGhost.

All my lights are controlled by a tiny little usb controller called Tellstick Duo. This one is probably more known here in europe. It can send and recieve signals on 433,92 MHZ and it can controll a lot of different remote socket recievers, like Nexa, IKEA, bye bye standby, HomeEasy and so on, but it can allso recieve signals from some wireless thermometers.
I allso have set up some socket recievers on my espresso machine and my espresso grinder.
All of this is allso controlled via EventGhost.

This is installed on a tiny little Shuttle ITX pc without a monitor, so the only communication is via VoxCommando (wich works great now that I have figured out the use of groups).

I have set up a lot of macros in EG, like when I say watch TV, my TV turns on and sets the channel to the Set Top Box, turns on the reciever, turns on the STB and opens the TV guide. (its a TiVo like box).
The same for DVD.
It took a while to set up most of the used buttons on all the remotes in EG and assigning a voice command, but damn it rocks when evereything works..

I allso use a media PC with a IR reciever, and there I have XBMC, Media Monkey and so on.
I wake it up via IR and put it back to sleep when I'm done with the media.

The setup of IR is somewhat a bit tricky sometimes if you use the original remotes, but a great tip for you James is to get your hands on a Logitech Harmony remote with a display on. With this you can download all the remotes for your  units and I can promis you that a lot of "new buttons" will be available to use.
I have a Sony TV with a power toggle button on the remote, but when I downloaded the remote to my Harmony I suddenly have separate on/off buttons available.
So then It's easy to get a better setup for the IR controll.

After finding EG and VC my mornings are finally awsome, never an angry morning.. :D

I just start it with saying good morning Computer (untill I find a suitable name for it), and it greets me with Good morning master, I will start my duties now..
Then it starts up my espresso maker, grinds a cup of espresso (15 sek on, then off), turn on the news channel on my tv, dims my lights to 60%.

Now I'm looking for more items to put into my setup, and sugestions are appriciated.

I was thinking about getting a Roomba with IR so that i can just say, 'clean my flat' and it will send signals to it as well,.

Since I'm single these days, my dream is to make it do the dishes as well, but that is maby a long shot...  :P
“Wherever beer is brewed, all is well-wherever beer is drunk, life is good.” — Czech proverb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »
you could probably do something cool with some motion sensors...

I found discrete IR codes for my Samsung TV online which is cool, so I have power on and off for example, buttons for each input (though I really only use 1).  My receiver has network control which is awesome, though I still have to use IR to turn it on, which is ridiculous, but it works out ok.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:27:14 PM by nime5ter »

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
Hey gents,

I too recognise this as an old topic, but felt it sensible to keep it in the same place.

I've just bought a Tellstick and so far I'm really pleased with it, it can control all my homeasy plug sockets and light switch, and I've just bought another pack of home easy plugs with the intention of being able to control a portable heater.  I've used Eventghost to control them so that I could use Voxcommando to do a multitude of things, switch on side lamps, rear lamps, main lights on various dim settings and everything in between.  Much to the missus' irritation I can also say "It's sexy time" and have the lights switch to a particular ensemble and XBMC start a particular playlist.

The only thing it can't do is control my projector screen because Tellstick is hard coded for certain devices and has no learning capability which is a bit of a shame.  I'm informed that Tellstick duo has the same limitations.  I was wondering if others had similar stories, and whether they had RF controllers working with Eventghost that did have a learning capacity.

My other question was what you were all using to control IR.  I currently use the standard Microsoft Remote receiver (pictured here http://www.opinian.com/en/o/products/input-devices/microsoft-mce-usb-daljinski-upravljac) and the two emitter buds taped to my projector and Amp.  I have other things I want to control though and wondered if I bought a cheap IR extender and taped the bud over that instead whether it would be able to fire the signals around the room?... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmitek-PowerMid-infrared-extender-set/dp/B000GIXH42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332350584&sr=8-2

What do you all reckon?

-P

Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »
Hey gents,

I too recognise this as an old topic, but felt it sensible to keep it in the same place.

I've just bought a Tellstick and so far I'm really pleased with it, it can control all my homeasy plug sockets and light switch, and I've just bought another pack of home easy plugs with the intention of being able to control a portable heater.  I've used Eventghost to control them so that I could use Voxcommando to do a multitude of things, switch on side lamps, rear lamps, main lights on various dim settings and everything in between.  Much to the missus' irritation I can also say "It's sexy time" and have the lights switch to a particular ensemble and XBMC start a particular playlist.

The only thing it can't do is control my projector screen because Tellstick is hard coded for certain devices and has no learning capability which is a bit of a shame.  I'm informed that Tellstick duo has the same limitations.  I was wondering if others had similar stories, and whether they had RF controllers working with Eventghost that did have a learning capacity.

My other question was what you were all using to control IR.  I currently use the standard Microsoft Remote receiver (pictured here http://www.opinian.com/en/o/products/input-devices/microsoft-mce-usb-daljinski-upravljac) and the two emitter buds taped to my projector and Amp.  I have other things I want to control though and wondered if I bought a cheap IR extender and taped the bud over that instead whether it would be able to fire the signals around the room?... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmitek-PowerMid-infrared-extender-set/dp/B000GIXH42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332350584&sr=8-2

What do you all reckon?

-P

Hi MrWolf, for IR you can use the USB-UIRT (www.usbuirt.com) with VoxCommando and Eventghost or you can use HALX (http://halx.co.uk/  with VoxCommando (HALX transmit/receive RF and IR) - HALX can work also without PC, it need only a Network connection. Both solutions works fine. A USB-UIRT found also in ebay.

Kalle
Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »
since you are in the UK I would say it is worth waiting for HALX to be released if it fits your budget.  It can learn and transmit RF and IR, and as Kalle says it can work without a PC (i.e. via the web browser on your iOs or Android device) and it works great with VoxCommando.

otherwise the usb-uirt or an MCE compatible remote with blasting capabilities will serve for IR.