Author Topic: New User Please Help  (Read 2982 times)

Craigoh

• View Profile
New User Please Help
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »
Hi guys, firstly apologies to the moderators if this is not in the right section.I'm a very new user, and im having trouble with Vox Commando, in particular setting up a Vera lite with it.Tryed a couple of times, and im getting fustrated.
I've installed the plugin, also installed it in C/My Documents, also tryed uninstall and change it to my other drive.
Firstly i get an error that no xml files ( switches ect) are found.Second, it wont locate Vera on IP or Username Password.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

Craig.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: New User Please Help
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »
Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can get you sorted.

1. Can you tell me whether you've been following, step-by-step, the installation guide in the wiki (or the video tutorial)? http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Vera_Configuration

It just helps me to know whether what I'm saying is redundant to you or not.

2. What version of VoxCommando are you using?

3. When you first install VC, are you choosing the Vera Home Automation configuration, or are you selecting a different configuration and then enabling the Vera plugin in Options?

Either way, the payload xml files will not be generated until VC has located your Vera controller. So the first thing to address is locating your Vera.

When you say
it wont locate Vera on IP or Username Password

Can you be more specific about the steps you are taking? Are you using UI6 or UI5? What do you mean by "it won't locate Vera on IP"?

It may be, if you're using UI6, that VC will not automatically locate your controller when you click on the target. In that case, however, usually manually entering the IP address and port number in the Address field and then clicking "Save Options" should work.

All the above is mentioned in the wiki etc. so maybe you have tried all of the above, but it isn't clear from your first post, so first things first.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:13:39 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Craigoh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
thanks for the reply.Ive done all the right steps as per website.The plugin is visable, but as soon as i click edit i get
Missing files:6
vera1/switches.xmk
vera1/dimmable.xml
vera1/switches.xml
vera1/switches.xml
vera1/scenes.xml
vera1/devices.xml

opened options/ both plugins are visable and ticked.Tryed vc commando restart.
clicked vara tab/target/ lacal not found.No unit found.tryed my vera user name and password, still no unit found.
all vc commando files are in a folder i created in.Window 8 My pc/ documents/ vc commando setup ( the folder i created as the files seem to scatter in sub directories.
oh and the version is 2.0.0.3.Im running on a wired local network.
another edit: when installing i chose: English/Vera set up

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:44:10 AM by Craigoh »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
OK. Again, as I say, the xml files will be missing until you are properly connected to your Vera controller.

You will always get the "missing files" message when you click "Edit" *until* you have properly configured the Vera plugin.

By "properly configured", I mean you first need to successfully connect to the Vera controller within the Vera plugin's settings, *and then* you will need to generate the xml files by clicking on the correct button (as described in the wiki and in the video tutorial).

opened options/ both plugins are visable and ticked.Tryed vc commando restart.

I don't know what "both plugins" means. I imagine that at least the TTS plugin and the Vera plugin are enabled, though, so maybe that is what you mean. We only care about the Vera plugin at the moment.

As I say, if VC cannot automatically find your Vera controller, you should type the IP address:port number of your Vera into the address field in the plugin window yourself:

The format should be as it is in the image: [your Vera IP address]:3480

If you don't know your Vera's IP address, you can go to the webpage you usually use in your browser to configure your Vera devices and copy/paste the IP address that shows up in the address bar.

Note: You will not need to click on the target if you manually type in your IP address. You do need to click "Save Options".

If this works, you will get a message like, "Options Saved" and then "Restarting Vera 1: Vera 1".

So: please try manually typing in your Vera's IP address and port number and let me know what happens. If that works, then we can move on to generating your payload xml files.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:37:38 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Craigoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:02:07 PM »
im in Australia, and when i setup my Vera unit i used http://getvera.com/ Is that ok? i seen alot of people using Mios.Im confused.I have followed the steps needed, but it still cant find my Vera Unit.
Is it safe to post my Vera Ip to help?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:34:09 PM »
I can't tell from what you're saying whether you have now tried manually entering your device's IP address with the port 3480 in the Vera plugin in VC. Please try to be explicit when you describe what steps you are taking. Otherwise it is difficult to understand what is happening.

It sounds like you have been accessing your controller remotely through the Internet rather than locally, but it should still be possible to access it locally if you are connected via a wired local network.

2 things:

1. If you know the IP address for your Vera device, please enter that IP address in a browser window on your computer that is running VoxCommando and tell me what you see.

2. When you installed VoxCommando, you should have received a message asking you to grant a firewall exception on your private network. You were supposed to say "allow access", so that VoxCommando can communicate with other programs and devices on your network. Do you know if you did that?

It would have looked something like this:

If you're not sure that you did, you could temporarily disable your firewall and try the connection process again.

It should not be a problem for you to tell me exactly what you are typing into the address field. However, if you're nervous about doing so, you can send me a private message.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:24:52 PM by nime5ter »

Craigoh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:03:58 AM »
ah, i think i got it!, was a firewall issue and the port number.The only thing missing in the xml files is the dimmer, which is fine as i dont have any dimmable lights.
Thank you so, so ,very much.Without your help i would of been stuck.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:14:43 AM »
Great.

VC generates the xml files by scanning your Vera to find the IDs and names of your devices. If you don't have any dimmable devices, that explains why the xml file is missing.

In the default Vera Home Automation configuration for VoxCommando, there is a sample command for dimming your lights. It uses the dimmable.xml file. You can just delete that command from your tree, and then you will no longer get the message about the missing payload xml file.