Author Topic: lja's special echo thread  (Read 6006 times)

lja

• View Profile
lja's special echo thread
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »
I have been trying to set this up and have received the following:

Error: Please make sure that "Alexa Skills Kit" is selected for the event source type of arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:386167780127:function:AlexaSkillsKit

Please help. Thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: lja's special echo thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
At what point do you receive this error?  Did you follow step 17 of the instructions in the first post of this thread by Dave?

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
At what point do you receive this error?  Did you follow step 17 of the instructions in the first post of this thread by Dave?

@jitterjames
Thanks. I rechecked step 17 and the info did not take so I repeated the step. The error no longer appears.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:45:56 PM »
I  have text setting (service simulator) working with history visible in Vox. However the test with echoism does not produce a response. Is there a specific area I can check to determine the error I made?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:48:50 AM »
Did you enable the skill on the echosim device?

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »
Did you enable the skill on the echosim device?

Could not get echosim to respond so I tried it with my echo and now it all works. Next will attempt to upgrade.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
LOL.  Why use echosim if you have a real one?  I only used it in my original tutorial because I did not have my Dot yet.  :biglaugh

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »
Need help with upgrade.
1. Step 5. An image of the location would help me.
2. Do the variables require var like those already there?
3. Are new commands required to achieve the actions as in the video?
Thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
1) The location of what?  Where you put the code?  The code goes in the same place as the code went before.  See  step 19 of Dave's tutorial.

2) Not sure what you mean.  For the environment variables I posted an image of what that should look like:

When you are editing the lambda code, the environment variables are on the same web page, just further down.

3) Again, not sure what you are asking.  See step 6 of my post?

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
LOL.  Why use echosim if you have a real one?  I only used it in my original tutorial because I did not have my Dot yet.  :biglaugh

Wanted to see how it works. ^-^

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »
1) The location of what?  Where you put the code?  The code goes in the same place as the code went before.  See  step 19 of Dave's tutorial.

2) Not sure what you mean.  For the environment variables I posted an image of what that should look like:

When you are editing the lambda code, the environment variables are on the same web page, just further down.

3) Again, not sure what you are asking.  See step 6 of my post?
Thanks.
1) Sorry but I can't locate how to get back to the step 19 area
2) I refer to the "var" in red before the variables. I did see the image you posted.
3) With reference to step 6, would that new group provide the info necessary to issue the commands as per video.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 09:21:06 PM »
Quote from: lja  date=1491409590
1) Sorry but I can't locate how to get back to the step 19 area

Try going back to Step 11. Of course, instead of creating a new Lamda function, just click your existing function and it will take you directly to the code editor and environment variables page.

2) I refer to the "var" in red before the variables. I did see the image you posted.

Once you're on the correct web page, I think it will make more sense. Environment variables are not added to the code in the script editor. You add them lower down on that web page. In the first video James made, at about 13 minutes and 20 seconds, he says "We don't need environment variables..." and his mouse cursor indicates that part of the page.

Now, however, you do want to edit the environment variable fields so that they look as James posted in his screenshot.

3) With reference to step 6, would that new group provide the info necessary to issue the commands as per video.

It depends what you mean.  In terms of how VC is interacting with Alexa, absolutely. All the steps of the instructions must be followed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:17:03 AM by jitterjames »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
@nime5ter

Thanks. OK. I can say "tell jarvis to open kodi" and Kodi is opened. However "tell jarvis to close kodi" does not close Kodi.

Are there additional commands I have to enter?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:59:06 PM by lja »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
No. All of your normal voice commands should work now. I mentioned in the video that the spelling has to match so look in your history to see what Amazon is sending and compare it to your phrases.

Using VoxCommando directly is always going to be a better, faster, more reliable, more private and more accurate experience with the possible exception of open dictation for web searches and things of that nature.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:54:50 PM »
@jitterjames

Thanks. To close Kodi I could not get it to work with the words "close" or "Exit". "Cancel" worked. So far I have checked the different command phrases but no other commands are working.Would the attached image from Lambda have any impact?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1jjkasmx5bnpoj/awslambda.jpg?dl=0