Author Topic: News, demos, and tutorials for the BEAM  (Read 6188 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
News, demos, and tutorials for the BEAM
« on: February 14, 2016, 11:30:08 AM »
Thanks to the hard work of Kalle and David who really spearheaded this project and did all the initial work in getting this device up and running (and with some suggestions and contributions to software by me) we are just about ready to start sending out some early versions of the BEAM to our beta testers.

For those of you who have been patiently waiting for news about the BEAM I have created a video to give you an idea of what we have achieved so far and what you will be able to do with the device when it is ready to ship.

The video (playlist) below shows an early prototype model of the BEAM Sphere (not the final physical design, and with some battle wounds) but with the latest firmware so it should behave the same, it just doesn't look as good.

About the BEAM:
The BEAM Sphere is a wifi device. You can place it anywhere in your home and communicate with it through your local area network. All it needs is a good quality 5 volt 1 amp micro USB power supply. Its primary purpose is to control other devices in your home that use infrared and radio frequency codes.

The BEAM has been designed to learn IR and RF codes from whatever devices you have.

The Sphere is not just a blaster – it can also be used as a receiver, which means that you can use the various IR or RF remotes that you have in your home to trigger events, and that will allow you to further automate things in your home using VoxCommando.

The range will vary, depending on your devices, but in our tests we have had no problems controlling IR devices such as TVs and stereos from across the room. We’re still testing our RF ranges. The results have been inconsistent so far. RF sending shows a good range controlling devices through walls and the like. With RF reception (for learning codes or generating events), however, we’re still having inconsistent results.

It is also an RGB globe; you can use it as a mood light, or for practical communication purposes. For example, you can have it change colours when VoxCommando recognizes commands, or when it fails to recognize commands.

Here are a couple of videos showing the BEAM setup and basic operation.

Playlist:

or jump straight to the
Demo:

The images below are also not of the final design but are much closer to it and will give you a better idea of the level of fit and finish that Kalle is producing.  Please note that these are still hand assembled by Kalle.  This means that the fit and finish will not be at the same level and a Samsung or Apple product, but they are still pretty good IMO.  It also means that the speed at which the devices can be assembled and shipped is still quite limited.

The final design of the PCB has been ordered and we are just waiting for it to be created in China and delivered to Kalle in Germany.  Then he will be able to begin assembly.  We also have some earlier versions of the PCB already in stock that are almost identical in functionality and we may ship some of these out to beta testers soon.  It's up to Kalle.

We have a fully functional OTA update system now which means that we will be able to make new versions of the firmware available as we make changes.  Updating the firmware is very easy.  It's as simple as downloading  a file and then uploading it to the BEAM through the web interface.  I'm not actually sure if this qualifies as Over The Air but it's done through Wifi so you don't need to plug your BEAM into a computer to update it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:45:19 PM by jitterjames »

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: News, demos, and tutorials for the BEAM
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 01:43:30 AM »
Looks like there is still enough room for a microphone and a small speaker in there. Knowing the work you guys put into the voxcommando program I would buy one of these almost right away and then probably more of them for all around the home. This would IMO rival the top name brands out there at the moment with IR/RF/BTLE/WIFI/MIC/SPEAKER OMG that would be the stuff right there.

BTLE If you guys could get some proximity detection that worked well through bluetooth in this little guy that would be awesome. Throw one in each room and allow your watch/phone to trigger it to run a scene when you first enter a room and then run an exit task when leaving.

IR/RF Program remote codes on the fly from any room and trigger commands using any remote how you want with total control.

WIFI to run all the commands through my existing network

MIC for voice control in each room, making phone calls, intercom system

SPEAKER for responses from good old jarvis

Would also be awesome to use an outer design like this

To allow it to move the important stuff around like i would probably throw this right in the center of a lot of rooms.

Anyways im just spit balling some ideas you guys have probably already thought of that i would love to see added into this project.

Great work guys and i look forward to seeing more about these.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:51:39 AM »
I may have just wet my pants!
Xxx
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:41:45 AM by jitterjames »
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

rio14

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 02:43:05 AM »
hi i'm  ready to buy a beam without rf transmitter i will install them by my self.thank you

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:04:15 AM »
Hi rio14,

There is a separate thread for requesting to be a beta tester.

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=2488.msg21581#msg21581

It's important to read James's notification and explanation in that thread as well. Thanks.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »
Here is an in depth tutorial and some sample xml for using the Beam with VoxCommando

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=IR/RF_Device#Tutorial_and_sample_commands

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
It has been a lot of work but we now have the ability to learn and send raw RF codes using the Beam which potentially opens up a lot of new possibilities.

The beta testers already have access to this feature but I am releasing a new version of the Beam plugin which is even more powerful and have created a demo/tutorial showing how it works.

Here it is:

DexDeadly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »
This is really awesome.  I would really like to get my hands on one of those beams one day! This will help me automate pretty much everything else in my house that isn't already :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando

rio14

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »
hi
i installed VC 2219 and i wanted to update Beam plugin i replaced the 3 files i rebooted VC .
but there is no  Beam plugin in the list of plugin,
before update i see the Beam plugin after update there is no beam plugin.
anyhelp thank you

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 01:55:03 PM »
Any time you download a DLL file directly, you need to unblock the dll file.

This is the third step in the instructions: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=IR/RF_Device#Install_the_plugin

VoxCommando 2.2.1.9 already includes the latest version of the Beam plugin.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:07:30 PM by jitterjames »