Author Topic: [Request-filled :D] Hibernation support.  (Read 2294 times)

escapeartist

• View Profile
[Request-filled :D] Hibernation support.
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:27:23 PM »
Beautiful program btw.  I'm using Vox Commando with XBMC because I love the play artist/album feature.  It is for a carputer btw, so when I turn the car off the PC goes into hibernation to save the battery.  The only issue that I have to deal with is when I come back from hibernation VC seems to lose its connection to the microphone.  Normally restarting VC wouldn't be a problem except that turning on the XBMC artist/album grammar feature for my 30+gb library of music takes nearly 10 minutes to restart VC.  It's got me stumped, is there any plans to export grammar from VC to a file and allow it to start earlier? Or is it putting all the grammar into memory?  Thank you jitterjames for the terrific FREE program.  Oh, you should make a wiki for VC http://www.wikia.com/Wikia  I would gladly contribute, It'd be a good place for helping people with documenting each tiny command possible with VC.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:42:38 PM by escapeartist »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: [Request] Hibernation support.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:36:22 PM »
Hi escapeartist,

A carputer.  Awesome.  I'm curious to know more about your hardware, computer, microphone etc., how well the system works with car "noise" and of course, I would love to eventually see a demo video of the sytem in action that we could put on the video page.

Did you try to just switch to off mode (red) and then back to on/listen (green).  I think that should reconnect to the mic.  If not, let me know and I'll see if there is something I can tweak.

Are you using GENxml, or the settings in options/xbmc tab to generate your music grammar?

VC has a wiki here:  http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Feel free to contribute in any form.  It's currently wide open for additions/editing. I've been a bit busy with other stuff (development/forum/real work), and the program is still a bit in flux so there's always the issue of documentation going out of date a bit, but more tutorials and reference materials are definitely needed!

I've also got plans for more import/export capabilities and a special area of the site for shaing xml groups.  Initially it will probably just be forum based, but I'd love to set up some kind of database where you can upload groups with descriptions etc.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

escapeartist

• View Profile
Re: [Request-filled :D] Hibernation support.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
Just verified, YES cycling VC off then back on fixed it.. I feel foolish for not trying that.  I am using the XBMC tab in options and everything is working as advertised again.  My carputer setup is a 8" xenarc touchscreen with a Acer Aspire Revo nettop Atom 330 with a dc to dc psu from mp3car.com store.  I definitely will put videos up when my project is done, probably before that when I get more voice commands set up.  Right now it is using the Ride Runner front-end to handle music, vid, gps (here's a vid of some guy demoing it)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AuUBocUJlo
For the time being I will have to make ride runner defer to xbmc for vid and music even tho it uses winamp and media player classic by default. 
I plan on dicing up a used logitech branded usb mic that came with the PS2 game socom and mounting it near my sunvisor.  I noticed it was very sensitive and using it for VC testing it works well.  I whipped up a quick autohotkey script to mute the master volume by half and unmute the microphone while a joypad button was held down.  So as long as I keep the windows up on the freeway it should work fine.

I like that idea of a repository of user generated groups/presets, I think it would be popular

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
sounds like fun.  What version of VoxCommando are you using?  I improved the load times for xbmc via the options menu recently.   The latest version is here:
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=55.msg296#msg296

I guess the atom takes a little longer to process it all. :'(

What do you mean when you say "defer to xbmc".  I'd like to know more about how it all works.  Do you mean that you basically launch xbmc from riderunner as an external app, and then when you exit xbmc you go back to riderunner?  I wonder if we could voice command riderunner itself?  Have you tried?  They claim to have an sdk, but I haven't found any more about it yet than the claim that it exists.  Would it respond to keyboard emulation, or not so much I guess since it's designed for touch screen.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:26:17 AM by jitterjames »

escapeartist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »
I'm using VC 0.794, not sure if its the beta in the link.
I just loaded VC with the same music library but on my gaming rig AMD quad core and it loaded at about 30 seconds.  No biggie on my nettop now that all I have to do is cycle VC off and on.
I had previously wrote some VC commands to scroll through RideRunners playlist to navigate but scrapped the whole thing because VC already had nice support for artist grammar in XBMC.  I'm such a fan for quick and dirty or lazy routes, I just decided to not use the music in RR.  I imagine it would take too much effort to get winamp support in VC to the level that XBMC already is.
I may use Media Monkey over XBMC, but it was way quicker to get XBMC and VC working properly.  Either way I probably will use which ever music app VC has the most features for out of the box or whichever app is the most flexible.
Oh before I click post. RR does support external apps, such as iguidance the gps software being resized and having it look like part of RR, but aesthetics is probably the last thing I have to work on.  At the time of writing this I control my music in the car with a ebay usb playstation joypad, absolutely horrible for scrolling.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
try 0.796

I think it's actually a lot faster than 0.794 was for loading xbmc artists/albums.  I am looking into an even faster method but my brain is melting...

I think mediaMonkey is the handsdown winner for music.  XBMC is nice if you are looking for an all in one solution.  EventGhost will offer the most flexibility no matter what you do, and is currently required if you want to use mediaMonkey (though I may offer direct support for MM eventually) but eventGhost is more work.  It's very easy to use once you figure it out, but there is a learning curve for sure.  Once you are over the hump though, you'll love it, it is powerful flexible, well engineered and there are gads of plugins for it with new ones all the time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:33:34 PM by jitterjames »