Author Topic: Smartphone App  (Read 4590 times)

Michagin

• View Profile
Smartphone App
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
Hello VoxCommando

I am considdering buying VoXCommando to use with XBMC.
I run XBMC from a laptop on my television where it plays movies from another computer in the house.
As it is now I would have to either yell very loud in order for VoxCommando to be able to pick up the command or wear a wireless headset.
What I request, since I allready use my Smartphone (Android) as a XBMC Remote, is to create an Android or/and iPhone app to work with VoxCommando so that you may give the commands to the phone and not the microphone in the computer. It would also be great if this app had a remote, much like the official XBMC remote for Android, in it so that you would have everything in one app!

I could see this how this would be a highly requested feature yet I see none requesting it, which makes me wonder if it is even possible, or if the request have been rejected once allready?

I look forward to hear from you. Keep up the good job!
Yours sincerely,
Michagin

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Smartphone App
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »
Hello VoxCommando

I am considdering buying VoXCommando to use with XBMC.
I run XBMC from a laptop on my television where it plays movies from another computer in the house.
As it is now I would have to either yell very loud in order for VoxCommando to be able to pick up the command or wear a wireless headset.
What I request, since I allready use my Smartphone (Android) as a XBMC Remote, is to create an Android or/and iPhone app to work with VoxCommando so that you may give the commands to the phone and not the microphone in the computer. It would also be great if this app had a remote, much like the official XBMC remote for Android, in it so that you would have everything in one app!

I could see this how this would be a highly requested feature yet I see none requesting it, which makes me wonder if it is even possible, or if the request have been rejected once allready?

I look forward to hear from you. Keep up the good job!
Yours sincerely,
Michagin
Hi Michagin, welcome to VC-forum.
Test this solution - http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Using_Skype_and_Mobile_Device_as_a_wifi_Microphone
I use this with iPad and it works great.
The skypeapp run also in backround, so you can use your XBMC remote app

Kalle
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:40:00 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
Welcome Michagin ::wave

I would be happy to work with an Android developer to make a solution like this.  I agree that it would potentially be very cool.  I don't have the expertise to create something like this, and I don't even own an Android device.

the challenge would be to send the audio to the PC as quickly as possible but without degrading the quality to the point where voice recognition accuracy goes down noticeably.  Skype works remarkably well, but you need to install VAC and it is a bit of a 'hack' solution.  But it does work!

There is an app for IOS called pocket audio that does this, but  has problems.

1 - there is a short but noticeable delay (1-2 seconds I think)
2 - On some machine it works fine, on others it crashes instantly when used with any Windows speech application. :(

A better solution for you might be to get an Amulet Remote, or to move your microphone closer to where you sit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:59:31 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »
you might also be able to use something like this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dev47apps.droidcam&hl=en

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »

I would like to know if it is possible to port voxcommando to iOS?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »
possible?  ::confused  probably...

Is it going to happen?  No.

As it is, most voice apps that run on mobile devices don't actually perform the recognition on the device, but actually upload the sound file to a server for processing.

My iPod does do recognition directly on the device for music in the ipod's library so it is possible, but it would be a whole new program, and even for someone who knew how to program for ios it would be a huge amount of work.  Then there is the question of how you would configure/customize it.  I don't even know if apple makes the necessary libraries available.

Also keep in mind that the recognition that happens with ipod music does not use learning AFAIK, so if you have an accent, I don't know how well it would work.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
possible?  ::confused  probably...

Is it going to happen?  No.

As it is, most voice apps that run on mobile devices don't actually perform the recognition on the device, but actually upload the sound file to a server for processing.

My iPod does do recognition directly on the device for music in the ipod's library so it is possible, but it would be a whole new program, and even for someone who knew how to program for ios it would be a huge amount of work.  Then there is the question of how you would configure/customize it.  I don't even know if apple makes the necessary libraries available.

Also keep in mind that the recognition that happens with ipod music does not use learning AFAIK, so if you have an accent, I don't know how well it would work.
ok, I understand. I will bury my hope  :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
:'(

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile