Author Topic: Ability to specify more than one prefix command  (Read 1864 times)

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Ability to specify more than one prefix command
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »
Just what the title says.  I'd like to be able to add more than one prefix command similar to how the action nodes are in the tree if possible.

e.g.

Prefix:  Woodhouse, Alfred, Jeeves

Where any of the 3 butler names would saffice for a prefix activation

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Ability to specify more than one prefix command
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »
I think in options, you can simply enter the three names, separated by commas.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
No, I guess not.

next version :)

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
Thank you once again James

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »
Just what the title says.  I'd like to be able to add more than one prefix command similar to how the action nodes are in the tree if possible.

e.g.

Prefix:  Woodhouse, Alfred, Jeeves

Where any of the 3 butler names would saffice for a prefix activation

I've been wondering about when this would be useful. Do you want to have various prefix options just for fun (i.e., for variety)? Or do you have a functional purpose in mind?

I know James has said he'll implement this feature in the next release. It seems like it might defeat the purpose of prefixes at a certain point to have a list of them, at least if users get carried away with it. My understanding is that the prefix is designed to prevent VC from listening to everything and trying to issue a command when it shouldn't. If they're sufficiently weird-sounding words, maybe it won't be a problem? Or is there some kind of "tipping point"?

I know that currently you can override the prefix for specific groups of commands, and that might be useful. You could have a different "butler" in charge of different duties: Jeeves handles home automation, and Woodhouse handles Media Monkey, etc. (as long as you can remember which butler is in charge of what). The benefit of that approach is that it narrows the vocabulary that VC has to understand, which should improve its accuracy.

Are any of you using the different prefixes for different groups currently? Do you find it useful?

Thanks all. (And James, if you have an opinion on whether a list of "omnipotent" prefixes might become a problem, could you please comment? Thanks.)
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »
Are any of you using the different prefixes for different groups currently? Do you find it useful?
I don't use this feature but I'm sure it can be helpful in some cases.

;)

s'K
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »
I think having different prefixes for different groups can have a lot of advantages in the right circumstances.  I don't use it either though in my regular setup.

I think having multiple prefixes will defeat the purpose of the prefix to some extent, in that it will increase the chance of false positives.  Ultimately it is up to each user to find a balance that works for them.  Since I only use the Amulet remote and VoxWav (at the moment) I don't use prefix mode at all, and don't need to worry about false positives. 

Soon I will be testing a Jabra GN9350e headset and if it is good (I fully expect that it will be fantastic) then I will be using prefix mode a lot more.  I'm looking forward to wearing the headset while doing chores around the house, so I can listen to and rate my music etc.  ;D and be able to use it to place calls and control my home automation while I am walking about.  Come to think of it, maybe I will create a special butler just for controlling lights etc. as nime5ter suggests.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:45:28 AM »
Multiple prefixes are now supported in 0.984

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1007.0

fattybunter

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile