Author Topic: Can I use Amulet Remote + USB Mic  (Read 6082 times)

alk23k

• View Profile
Can I use Amulet Remote + USB Mic
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
I am thinking of purchasing the amulet oem remote.  I already have a MXL AC404 USB Conference Microphone.  Will I be able to use both devices?  How does the amulet remote work?  Does it act like a standard Mic input in recording prefs?  Will I have to use that crazy tool (virtual mixer thing) to set two mic inputs as default devices in Win preferences?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Can I use Amulet Remote + USB Mic
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:33:33 PM »
Hi alk23k and welcome to our forum.
Yes, you will found the amulet mic in the standard input settings and yes you will be able to use both but not as the same time.
It is possible to set the mic input in VC by a command. Here are some information about the amulet remote http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=324.0

You need virtual audio cable only if you want use more the one mic input as the same time (multiroom mic)

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=972.msg8048#msg8048
***********  get excited and make things  **********

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
Just fyi, if you haven't seen it yet, you might want to read this recent thread on Amulet's current distribution problems before you decide to purchase: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1334.msg11518#msg11518

We have an Amulet and thus far it's our most used and preferred microphone solution. Still, if you have a different option right now, you might want to wait until James gets an update from Amulet regarding their distribution problems.

Is there a particular reason that you want to use both the Amulet and your conference mic with VC?

I ask because it's possible users here can suggest some alternative options or things to consider.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

alk23k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  This is all very helpful.  My desire is to use 2 mic's because there are times when I would like to be able to make handsfree voice commands without picking up the amulet remote.

Idea:

Could I setup up an event so that when the amulet device is lifted input changes and amulet is active.  When amulet is in rest position switch back to MXL.  Would this work or be to slow and annoying when I go to use the amulet?

Also anyone tried using 2 amulet's on 1 receiver?

I store my Windows Media Center tucked away in my basement and have HDMI run to several points in my home.  I currently use a Harmony Remote in my main room and a Harmony remote in my bedroom.  I blast the IR over CAT 6 down to the basement to control the devices.  I am thinking of swapping out the Harmony's with Amulet's because the Harmony's are slow and I would like to have the built in Mic too.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
Could I setup up an event so that when the amulet device is lifted input changes and amulet is active.  When amulet is in rest position switch back to MXL.  Would this work or be to slow and annoying when I go to use the amulet?

Yes, I've tested this on my computer and it seems to work. The action that you would use is VC.SetSpeechInput (http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Actions#SetSpeechInput). You can use the Amulet.On (amulet is vertical) and Amulet.Off (amulet is horizontal) events to trigger the change of input.

Also anyone tried using 2 amulet's on 1 receiver?

My understanding via James is that Eddy said at some point that this won't work. I can't find anything about it on the forum at the moment though. Maybe someone else will remember.

wrt IR -- IR is definitely not Amulet's strong suit. If you browse through threads here about the Amulet, IR challenges are the most common complaint.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:39:18 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

alk23k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
Thanks nime5ter

You guys rock!

I will have to check into the IR issues to see what others have said.

eddyc

• View Profile
    • Amulet Devices
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:01 PM »
Hi folks,

To confirm what nime5ter said: two Amulet's on a single receiver is not supported at present.

It's actually an interesting idea -- multiple transmitters, one receiver, for the scenario described and in principle, the underlying radio chipset would actually support it. We certainly haven't tested it, but it may be possible to pair two units to the one receiver.

There is also a "public broadcast" mode where the receiver will accept transmissions from any Amulet within range, but our firmware currently doesn't enable this (too problematic if you have two independent Amulet setups operating in close proximity).

More generally, we have a limitation in that our firmware is not field upgradable at present. This is actually No. 1 on my personal list of things to fix, though it's by no means straightforward. Nonetheless, it would open up a lot of scope for adding features, improving IR performance, etc.

However, one step at a time: as discussed elsewhere, we need to get more basic stuff like reliable shipping working first!

Eddy
Amulet Devices

alk23k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Thanks for chiming in Eddy.  Great info.  Excited to get an Amulet ordered once your team resolves the shipping issues.