Author Topic: Anyway to receive autoremote messages from Tasker in vox?  (Read 3006 times)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Anyway to receive autoremote messages from Tasker in vox?
« on: October 19, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »
Is there anyway of getting autoremote messages to appear in voxcommando?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Anyway to receive autoremote messages from Tasker in vox?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
I thought the point of Autoremote was to control your phone, so I don't think it makes much sense what you are asking.  Autoremote = send message to control your phone.

If you want to send messages to VC there are many many ways to do that including from Tasker which has been discussed at length.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
I think that sometimes people want notifications that they receive on their phone to also be broadcast on their computer. Or something.

But as James says, the answer is yes. You'd follow the same premise as has already been documented in the wiki. It requires understanding how Tasker works more than understanding how VC works, in my view.

The relevant documentation to look for on VC's wiki is the page on communicating between Tasker and VC, and also the VoxCommando API wiki page.

There are many ways for VC to receive messages from other programs (as per the API page). Learning how this works will open up a lot of possibilities for most users.

I believe there may also be an Eventghost plugin for Autoremote, so you can always go that route.

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 11:44:33 AM »
I think that sometimes people want notifications that they receive on their phone to also be broadcast on their computer. Or something.

But as James says, the answer is yes. You'd follow the same premise as has already been documented in the wiki. It requires understanding how Tasker works more than understanding how VC works, in my view.

The relevant documentation to look for on VC's wiki is the page on communicating between Tasker and VC, and also the VoxCommando API wiki page.

There are many ways for VC to receive messages from other programs (as per the API page). Learning how this works will open up a lot of possibilities for most users.

I believe there may also be an Eventghost plugin for Autoremote, so you can always go that route.

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into it. I was using eventghost with it before and I'm trying to phase out eventghost completely. Just keep finding small things I still need it for though. That's why I've been hitting you fine folks up with a few questions.

JonPeyton

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:28:56 AM »
Yes just install the Autoremote plugin in eventghost and send UDP.You can use the Command=:=Parameter format or just plain messaging.
I actually am very happy to have VC integrated with my EventGhost/Autoremote system since Chrome also has an Autoremote plugin it really ties things together well.For instance,I come home and trigger "Wifi Near" profile in Tasker,Autoremote sends message to Eventghost on PC which of course prompts VC to welcome me home.Also web browsing is seamless between pc and tablet or phone just by right clicking anywhere on a page Autoremote for Chrome opens the page remotely on either device and on and on and on lol....

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »
Whatever works, works.

However, since Tasker can send messages directly to VoxCommando, going from Tasker to Autoremote to EventGhost to VoxCommando seems a bit circuitous IMO.  Maybe there is some advantage but I don't see it and you are just adding possible points of delay or failure.

That said, I see no reason to try to get rid of EventGhost either.  I still use it, although really just for handling my IR control for my remote, but the footprint of EG is pretty modest and I see no harm in having it running along with VC.

If you want to send messages from VC to Tasker, especially when your phone is not on your LAN this can be accomplished quite easily using VoxCommando to AutoRemote (using VC's scrape action) to Tasker.