Author Topic: GenXML Not complete  (Read 4117 times)

OklahomaGreyBeard

• Contributor
    • View Profile
GenXML Not complete
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »
I'd gotten lazy and been using Pandora but decided to go back to MM with my own collection (which still needs some tag cleanup) but using the GenXML for MM doesn't come even close to getting everything. The results are:

1674 songs
400 artists
272 albums
74 album artists
82 genres
9 playlists (the only one right)

The actual in MM is

138891 songs
10399 artists
9007 albums
2964 album artists
1029 genres
9 playlists

Can't figure out why it doesn't find everything.

Granted I do need to do a lot of cleanup and data scrubbing on the info, but it won't change the fact that there are almost 140,000 songs and it only seems to have found 1674 of those.

Most of my control will be telling it to use playlists and rating of songs anyway, but I still wonder why it missed so much.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: GenXML Not complete
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
I've never heard of anyone having this problem before (unless they are using a filter) and I've personally used MM plugin on a lot of different systems.

1) Do you have something in the filter box in your MM plugin settings?
2) Note: MM must be running on the same system as VC. You can't connect to a remote system running MM.

If it's not one of those simple things, I'm not sure what to suggest.  I would need to come take a look myself.  The MM plugin doesn't do any real logging normally during GenXML operations.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:06:30 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
Be advised that there is no way VC will be able to handle 138891 songs so you will need to either come up with a filter that brings this down to a reasonable size or you will need to remove the play song commands.

10K artists is also a lot.  You'll probably want to stick with playlists or filter for music with a high rating etc.

Usually when people have this much music it is also a sign that the meta data is going to be a giant mess.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 11:25:55 AM »
Some options for people with large music libraries: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Large_music_libraries
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

OklahomaGreyBeard

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
Strangely there was a filter in the plugin SongRating=>70 but for the life of me I can't remember ever putting it in there.  :bonk

We'll see what happens in a few hours when it's done parsing all that info...  :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
With more than 40 thousand songs it may never finish.

OklahomaGreyBeard

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
Just checked it remotely and it did finish and had a warning asking if I wanted to load such a large XML file. I said no and have decided to rethink my music policies.

I come from a time where if you wanted a song to listen to at home you bought this giant black cd and got all the songs whether you wanted them or not. Then this great thing called a cassette tape made it even better. Every album I have as flac or mp3 is complete (even if the tags aren't) this includes duplicate albums just because one may have a different mix or solo. Perhaps it's time to clean house and create a separate collection of just the stuff I like and archive the rest. But then again, sometimes you find a "new" song having that many on random play.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:00:29 PM »
That's why I rate my songs.  There are times when I want to discover music and times when I don't want to mess around and just want the good stuff (like when guests are over).  Then there are times when I can't decide which is why I have a playlist called "hits and mysteries".

I also keep most of my albums complete, except for sound tracks or other compilations which I will delete crappy songs from.

But anyone with 130K songs probably doesn't even know what most of those songs are.

Anyway you've got lots of options on how to deal with large libraries in VC even if you don't want to remove a single song from your library.