Author Topic: Full control living room vc - My goal-- Ask for advice :)  (Read 31260 times)

OnFire

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Full control living room vc - My goal-- Ask for advice :)
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:23:59 AM »
Hello everybody,

im Sven from Munic, 25 years old and i have a big goal (for me), where i could need a little help  ;D.
The days before i wrote some messages with the genius member Kalle from germany because im german too. It's quit more faster to write in german  :biglaugh
So please apologize the written mistakes if they appear.

So now to my goal: I want to control my hole living room with voxcommando
I would like to : Controle the TV (on, off, program switching..), control my lights (dim it, on, off), control my xbmc which is installed on my htpc.

So Kalle informed me verry well! Special thanks to him!

I'm now ready to order some stuff to build it up step by step:

The equipment i finally chose with the help of Kalle was the following: (you can get most on the equipment cheaper on ebay)

The Microphone :
http://www.amazon.de/MXL-AC404-USB-Conference-Microphone/dp/B001TGTDFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422176680&sr=8-1&keywords=MXL-AC404

With the prefix mode in vc it should work perfecty, that's what  i read here in one users post.

Home Controller:
VeraLite Controller, EU Verison:
http://getvera.com/controllers/veralite/

and for the tv controle: (must look for for the links)
USBUIRT and  iTachWiFi-Flex

My equipment at the moment:
http://www.amazon.de/Sedatech-Mini-PC-Multimedia-Radeon-HD6310/dp/B006GRW2N4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422011359&sr=8-1&keywords=AMD+E-350+2x1.6Ghz+Radeon+HD6310+4GB

W7 Professional, 4 TB external HDD for the movies and so on..,
Latest XBMC Gotham installed, Event Ghost, VoxCommander
With my Ipad i'm starting the htpc with wake on lan, with pressing a button on a bluetooth keybord xbmc is starting (makro event ghost)

For the ligths: I got Phillip heu with 3 bulbs (also connected to vc)

Finally i want to controle everything without having some headset on or something in my hand(like the Amulet Remote, or my Iphone -> App "Headset").
So the "open Room "microphone i postet should be the solution. It's only for the living room
What do you think? Is there a better solution that we haven't fokused on?  :o
If this is the best solution at all i would order the stuff.

So please give me a short advice  ;)

I hope i haven't forgotten anything ^^. Otherwise i will post it later.

Thanks to all and kind regards

Sven from Munic

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:31:59 AM by OnFire »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Full control living room vc - My goal-- Ask for advice :)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »
Hallo Sven,

Willkommen beim Forum.

Wir freuen uns, dass Du Dich endlich entschlossen hast, öffentlich auf dem Forum aufzutreten. Der grosse Vorteil des Forums liegt darin, dass eine öffentliche Discussion mehreren Teilnehmern gleichzeitig helfen kann. Dies ist der Grund, warum wir Unterstützung ausschliesslich auf dem Forum anbieten, und weshalb wir Teilnehmer bitten private Hilfsanfragen zu vermeiden.

Beispielsweise scheint es, dass Dir Kalle sehr guten Rat gab, der auch anderen deutschsprechenden Benützern geholfen hätte, hättet Ihr zwei auf dem deutschen Forum miteinander kommuniziert. Könntest Du vielleicht diese Konversationen auf das deutsche Forum stellen, falls Du sie noch hast?

Gemäss unseren Forum Richtlinien ("Forum Guidelines" - http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Getting_support) steht es Dir frei, Deine Forum Anfragen auf Deutsch zu formulieren. Wir können sie mittels Google-Translator verstehen. Andere deutsche Nutzer können auf Deutsch antworten. Falls wir etwas beizutragen haben, werden wir auf Englisch antworten.

Wir ermutigen unsere Teilnehmer in der ganzen Welt in derjenige Sprache zu schreiben, in der sie sich am wohlsten fühlen und Englisch nur dann zu verwenden, wenn sie sich darin auch verständlich und klar ausdrücken können. Es ist auch akzeptabel Deiner deutschen Prosa noch eine englische Uebersetzung beizufügen.

Nun aber zu Deinen Fragen:

Bevor Du alle Geräte kaufst, die Du erwähnt hattest, wäre es sinnvoll nur mit dem Kauf des Mikrofons zu beginnen. Du kannst dann nämlich VoxCommando mit XBMC und den vorhandenen Philips Hue Lichtern ausprobieren, um zu sehen, ob VoxCommando Deinen Erwartungen entspricht.

Bezüglich USB-UIRT und iTach Flex: USB-UIRT sollte genügen, da es Infrarot sowohl sendet als auch empfängt. Du würdest Flex nur benötigen, wenn das zu kontrollierende Gerät zu weit entfernt wäre, oder wenn keine Sichtverbindung bestehen würde. Dieses Thema wird auf der USB-UIRT Webseite besprochen.

Wir hoffen, dass Dir diese Zeilen helfen mit VoxCommando zu beginnen, ohne unnötig Geld auszugeben. :-)

---

English translation:
Code: [Select]
Hello Sven, welcome to the forum.

We’re glad you finally decided to post publicly. The whole advantage of a forum is that a public discussion can help multiple users at once. This is why we provide all of our support through the forum, and it is why we ask people to avoid seeking help via private messages.

For example, it sounds as though Kalle gave you very useful advice that would help other German users if the two of you had communicated in German here on the German support board. Maybe you can re-post some of those conversations here if you still have them.

As per our Forum Guidelines, please feel free to write all your posts in German.  We can use Google Translate to read them. Other German users can respond in German. If we have something to add, we will respond in English.

We encourage all our users around the world to post to the forum in a language that they are comfortable with, and to only write in English if they are able to express themselves clearly in English. If you want to include an English translation along with your German post, that’s fine too.

OK, on to your questions:

Before buying all of the hardware that you mention, you should start by buying the microphone only. You can then test VoxCommando with XBMC and your existing Philips Hue lights. That way, you can first determine whether the microphone allows you to use VoxCommando the way that you’re envisioning.

With regard to the USB-UIRT and the iTach Flex: the USB-UIRT device may be all that you need because it is able to both send and receive IR signals.

You would only need the Flex if you need to control something that is too far from your computer, or if you do not have line of sight for that IR signal (you can research this on the forum or on the USB-UIRT web site).

We hope this helps you to get started without spending more money than you need to :-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 09:00:59 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »
Hallo Sven,

schön zu sehen, dass sich VC auch in Deutschland ausbreitet ;)

Ich denke nim5ter hat absolut Recht, teste erstmal ob das mit dem Mikrofon so klappt, wie du dir das vorstellst, bevor du die ganze restlich Hardware besorgst. Solche Open-Mic Systeme sind immer etwas problematisch, auch mit Prefix. Zumindest sobald Hintergrundgeräusche ins Spiel kommen. Solltest du die Sprachbefehle immer von einer relativ festen Position aus erteilen (z.b. vom Sofa), könnte ein Richtmikrofon evtl. die bessere Lösung sein. Schau am besten mal hier ins Forum, da werden Open-Mic Systeme diskutiert: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?board=50.0

Was hast du denn mit dem Vera-Controller vor? Falls du "nur" Fernseher, XBMC und Hue steuern willst, wäre Vera ja nicht unbedingt nötig.

Grüße aus Wiesbaden,
Dave

OnFire

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:59 AM »
Hallo Leute,

gerne Poste ich noch den Nachrichtenverlauf mit Kalle in den deutschsprachigen Bereich des Forums. Soll ich das einfach hier drunter Posten oder einen neuen Thread erstellen?  ???
Ggf. Link für den richtigen Bereich wäre super :)

Gut, das gepostete Mikrofon ist bereits bestellt. Ich teste das einfach mal, sobald es angekommen ist.  :P
Zu dem Mikrofon hatte ja ein User bereits intensiv berichtet, weshalb ich mich auch für dieses Mic entschieden habe.
Sprachbefehle sollen nicht nur vom Sofa aus erteilt werden. Möchte z.B. ebenfalls wenn ich in der Küche stehe (im Wohnzimmer integriert) das System steuern können. Aber ich probier das einfach wie gesagt und schreibe dann meine Berichte hier ins Forum.

Dachte man braucht den Vera-Controller ebenfalls für mein Zielscenario ::confused
Ich glaube jedoch, dass es nicht "schaden" kann Ihn zu besorgen. Möchte auch noch Steckdosen an und ausschalten können, Receiver an und ausschalten etc.

Aber eins nach dem anderen  :bonk

Sobald das mit dem Mic klappt bestell ich mir den iTachWiFi-Flex, der ja zur Fernseher Steuerung ausreichen sollte.
Wie läuft das eigentlich mit Bestellungen aus Amerika? Ab einem Warenwert von ca 22€ kommt ja noch die Umsatzsteuer hinzu.
Kann man die Systeme ebenfalls in Deutschland erwerben? Sollte ich da auf irgend etwas achten?

Freue mich schon rießig auf das nächste Doing. Stück für Stück gehts vorran  8)

Lg

euer Sven aus München

OnFire

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:46:49 AM »
Meine natürlich den USB-UIRT. Der würde als nächstes auf der Liste stehen :)

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:41 AM »
Ja, wenn du auch Steckdosen ansteuern willst, brauchst du natürlich auch ein Gerät das Funk beherrscht.

Bei Sendungen aus dem Ausland zwischen 22 und 150 € fallen keine Zollgebühren an, du musst aber Mehrwertsteuer auf die Ware und die Versandkosten zahlen. Ggf. musst du die Sendung dann beim Zoll abholen, manchmal kann man auch direkt beim Postboten bezahlen.

Der USB-UIRT wird meines Wissens nicht in Deutschland vertrieben. Ich hatte damals Glück und hab einen bei eBay ergattert..

OnFire

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:02:14 AM »
Hey Dave,

danke für die Antwort!
Kann man mit dem Vera Light Controller Funk Steckdosen ansprechen und steuern?
Der Controller kann ja über die Standard Protokolle ziemlich viel ansprechen.

Hab auf Ebay einen USB-UIRT gefunden. Muss ich da jedoch auch etwas beachten? Kompatibilität zu VC?
Sonst würd ich mir diesen hier kaufen:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/USB-UIRT-Infrarot-Transmitter-Receiver-Universal-Fernbedienung-IR-Notebook-PC-/111572596228?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Fernbedienungen&hash=item19fa3eb604

Viele Grüße

Sven

OnFire

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »
Nachtrag:
Vermutlich kann ich mit dem Plugin von VC für den UsbUIRT jeden UsbUIRT hernehmen oder? ^-^
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Plugin_UsbUIRT

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »
Hallo Sven,
mit dem Vera Controller kenne ich mich leider nicht aus, hab das bei mir mit einen IR-RF-Wandler gemacht, aber das ist keine ideale Lösung...

Ich befürchte der Proximis PIR-1 wird nicht mit VC funktionieren, da er nichts mit dem eigentlichen USB-UIRT zu tun hat. Aber das kann wohl Jitterjames (oder vielleicht eher der Support von Proximis) am besten beantworten.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:59:44 AM »
Unless the PIR-1 is 100% compatible with the USB-UIRT device, then it probably will not work directly with VoxCommando.  It might be possible to use it with EventGhost and therefore be easy to use with VoxCommando but I cannot say.

I am not familiar with this device.  You will need to contact Proximis, and/or the maker of the UUIRT or investigate the EventGhost forum to get the answers you need.

OnFire

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »
Hello Jitterjames,

thank you very much for your reply. So i haven't bought the USB-UIRT wo was listed on ebay. Perhaps i'm going to  purchase the one who was mentioned before:
http://www.usbuirt.com/

I have another challenge. Want to purchase the VeraLite Controlle (EU) with 868MHz. The only one i found was on ebay. I bid on that but i havent won the auction  ::dis

I wrote to the offical Vera Selling Team from http://getvera.com/controllers/veralite/
Maybe they have an opportunity for me to get this controller in EU Version ^-^
Need that controler to power on some power sockets with my voice.

Is there also a cheap way to get on the USB UIRT (link above)? The same situation like with the veralite Controller -> They were not sold in German  :-[

I could order it from America but it would spend me more money on that.

Now to some good news:
Tomorrow i will receive my microphone  :D
I will test it and write a statement into the forum!

Maybe some german users could help me with the way of purchasing this stuff. Some users have allready done that before. (purchasing is not the problem, but i dont want to purchase to huge prices ;) )

Cheers

Sven

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
Hi OnFire, I don't hink that USB-UIRT is too expensive, I use it for a long time, it's reliable and nicely built device. So I consider that 70$ was payment for me not being able to construct it myself (let's face the facts, the components are hardly cost more than 10$ but it's the contruction itself that you pay for).

About Z-wave. I'm planning to use some of their stuff too, not much (just the lighting, I think). Does anybody use USB dongle, like this, for example? First of all, it's much cheaper than Vera. And if machine with VoxCommando is always running, why not use it as a Z-Wave controller as well?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:35:31 PM by Phobophile »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 05:05:05 PM »
About Z-wave. I'm planning to use some of their stuff too, not much (just the lighting, I think). Does anybody use USB dongle, like this, for example? First of all, it's much cheaper than Vera. And if machine with VoxCommando is always running, why not use it as a Z-Wave controller as well?

I think with the USB dongle you would need some kind of driver, however there are a few free home automation programs out that there probably support it and in most cases it should be possible to communicate with those programs through one of our existing actions (Scrape, TCP, UDP etc.).  Let me know if I can help.

There might also be a command line program for this dongle which would make basic control pretty easy but it would be more difficult to monitor the status of devices in order to generate events etc.

I personally like having the Vera which I can access when I am away from home, because when I am away or when I am asleep my PC is usually turned off to save power.  The cost of the Vera is really not much compared to the cost of all the z-wave components (switches, locks, motion sensors etc.) although I understand it is a bit more difficult if you are not in North America.

The other option if you only want to turn a few switches on and off without spending too much money, is to use something like the Telldus TellStick which is available in a few European countries I think.  Some forum users have had success with TellStick and VC.

Kalle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 04:54:38 AM »
Hallo Sven,

ich habe noch ein paar VeraLite controller auf verschiedenen Seiten gefunden.

http://www.etotalhaus.de/product/micasaverde-vera-lite-z-wave-smarthome-controller-54/

http://www.zwave4u.com/Start-Bundles/Einstiegs-Bundle-gross/Z-Wave-Gateway-VERA-lite::17594.html

Der USB-UIRT aus den USA ist aber immer noch günstiger als ein GlobalCache Gerät.

We are working also on devices as a substitute for the Vera controller and Sensors (it works already)  ;)
Wir arbeiten aber auch an diesen Geräten als Ersatz für den VeraController und Sensoren (funktioniert auch schon)  ;)   

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1921.0

Gruß
Kalle
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:03:47 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Phobophile

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »
I think with the USB dongle you would need some kind of driver, however there are a few free home automation programs out that there probably support it and in most cases it should be possible to communicate with those programs through one of our existing actions (Scrape, TCP, UDP etc.).  Let me know if I can help.

There might also be a command line program for this dongle which would make basic control pretty easy but it would be more difficult to monitor the status of devices in order to generate events etc.

I personally like having the Vera which I can access when I am away from home, because when I am away or when I am asleep my PC is usually turned off to save power.  The cost of the Vera is really not much compared to the cost of all the z-wave components (switches, locks, motion sensors etc.) although I understand it is a bit more difficult if you are not in North America.

The other option if you only want to turn a few switches on and off without spending too much money, is to use something like the Telldus TellStick which is available in a few European countries I think.  Some forum users have had success with TellStick and VC.

Did a little googling, found software called HomeGenie. It's free, works on Windows and Linux, supports AeonLabs dongle and Z-Wave extension board for Raspberry Pi. Also has HTTP API. Pretty good solution, I think. Regarding the price of components, I really don't want to use any other Z-Wave stuff, except for light swithes. For sensors and relays I'm gonna use cheap 2$ stuff connected to Raspberry.

And by the way, thanks for the info about TellStick, maybe that's what I really need instead of overpriced proprietary Z-Wave. I'm going to look into it.
Sorry for disturbing Deutsche Support forum.  ;D