Author Topic: Fire alarm  (Read 2471 times)

01ste02

• $upporter
  • 16 Years old hobby-developer in home-automation
    • View Profile
    • Company website (Swedish and incomplete)
Fire alarm
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »
Hello Forum!

I have since my last posts been quite busy with Vox and electronics... Today I thought that I would show off the work that I have done!

I have built a server cabinet (small repurposed IKEA cabinet  :biglaugh) containing 4 servers and a sh**load of other network hardware). I have a mail and web server in one, a backup and media server, a firewall machine and a dedicated server for games. Networking-wise I have an access-point, a 16 port POE switch, an network-attached KVM-switch and a Philips HUE Bridge.

This very cabinet also contains a Wiz-Web web server (old, found on a yard sale  :)) which has an old smoke detector and a couple of temperature sensors on the inputs. When the smoke detector is tripped (there is smoke in the top of the cabinet) or the temperature is too high either outside or inside the cabinet (70 degrees Celsius or more) the server triggers an event in Voxcommando.

The event then starts my Ispy and starts recording, sounds an alarm as it turns on my speakers and starts flashing the ceiling light in red while the rest of the power except for the Vox computer and the speakers is shut off.

Believe it or not this system actually "saved" me once! I had just finished this system, and was still wiring the last temperature sensors which run off a 12 V power supply. I left my room for a little while, and then suddenly the wires must have moved, because one of them had made a dead-short to ground through the chassis of my network switch and started arching and melting the insulation on the thin wire. The smoke detector was tripped, and so the alarm shut off the power. There was no fire, and was probably not going to be one but it was nice to know that the system worked  :biglaugh.

A video demo is coming in about 8 hours from me posting this because it is midnight for me right now.

I hope that you got some ideas on how to create a fire alarm using vox or that you were at least inspired in some other way!

Oskar
What you can´t do now... Go learn it!

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Fire alarm
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
A video demo is coming in about 8 hours from me posting this because it is midnight for me right now.
Oskar

There's an expression in English: "Pics or it didn't happen." (Pics == pictures).  :biglaugh

We await your video to see the full demonstration.

I will say, now that you've described all of your shenanigans it's a lot easier to understand your parents' concerns about fire hazards! ;-)
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

01ste02

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »
 :biglaugh

It is coming, I am having a bit of a busy day! I will have it uploaded in about 3-4 hrs...

01ste02

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
The video is here! I am sorry for the low quality, but I used my surveillance system for the recording...  :-[

Better quality of the overlay:

I am sorry for the low quality, and missing sound on the second link...

This is my first video editing-project...

Best Regards
Oskar

Btw, the video from the "fire" contains nothing more than this one, you can't see inside the cabinet and I didn't get there before the recording stopped because of a fuse that blew before Vox shut off the power  :'(

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 01:10:35 PM »
Hi Oskar,

really good work!  :clap ::bow
***********  get excited and make things  **********

01ste02

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »
Thanks!   ;D