Author Topic: Alarm Design  (Read 6126 times)

DHHJ

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Alarm Design
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:38:33 AM »
So I asked for this board to be created so that we could discuss system level design ideas. I figured I could kick it off and see what all you VC gurus out there can offer......

Here's my set-up:
Windows 7 x64, integrated sound card, USB UIRT, Vera, latest VC and VoxWav, Yamaha V series amp, 70" Panasonic plasma, lots of mp3 and mp4, fiber based digital TV (Canadian), DSC alarm system.

I'd like to embark on a "blank page" design. I have  a fairly large home with 4 bedrooms, garage, pool and irrigation system.

Ultimately, I'd like to provide a fair amount of home automation but lets start with the alarm side.

I'd like to place multiple cameras (low cost) in and out of the home and have them linked to Vera/DSC. I would like to arm and disarm using VC (eventually moving towards a proximity detector). When an alarm condition exists, I would like to establish a 2 way audio and video link, via Android, and challenge the intruder, in addition to the alarm sounding off.

Using VC, I'd like to arm/disarm and check status. And of course, I'm looking for a frugal design.

One of the key design criteria is that I would like to have multiple speakers in the design so that I can "talk to/challenge" to an intruder in any room. So do I need multiple sound cards (1 for the media part of the design and a second for the alarm broadcast, and VAC?)

I'd be interested in any design ideas. Thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Alarm Design
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:50:52 AM »
Sounds like the primary challenge you are facing here (other than the cameras which I don't know much about) is that you want to have multiple endpoints for bidirectional audio communication.  That is you want to be able to initiate voice commands, and get TTS responses from multiple locations.  Is that correct?

One of the challenges of using multiple audio inputs is finding a way to determine which input is active in order to let VC know who to send TTS responses back to.  If you use a mixer, you may be able to set it up in a way that allows for decent input to VC from multiple locations, but you probably won't have much luck determining where the input came from.

If you want to use multiple audio inputs on your PC the problem is that VC can only listen to one (the system default) audio input at one time.  You could get around this using VAC which would basically create a software mixer, but then you still face the problem of not knowing where the voice command originated.  I do not use VAC but possibly there is a way to monitor which inputs are active on VAC and somehow pass that info to VC so it knows where to send TTS messages.

VoxWav sort of works this way.  VC keeps track of the IP address of the last VoxWav device that sent it info and directs subsequent TTS messages there.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:14:39 AM »
Hi DHHJ, I use this wifi camera model with VC and vera, which works very well (and also cheap)

http://www.amazon.ca/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Network-67-Degree/dp/B00466X9SY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393944932&sr=8-2&keywords=foscam+fi8918w

I've attached some VC command groups to give you a start up how a alarm system can work in VC with this cam (It is not the best solution, but a start). If you want use this commands, you need the Vera Foscam plugin, some changes in the VC actions (IP address for the cam - I have descibed this in the actions).
Insert the groups in your command tree and the payload xml's in the payload folder in VC.

It is hard for me to explain the whole functions of the groups, but I think the command text explain the functions.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:53:24 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

DHHJ

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:41:37 AM »
Thanks, that's a good start. I didn't realize that Foscam supported, multi-devices remotely, using a DNS service, like DynDNS.

So now that video monitoring is architected, how about the audio link? I'd like to challenge any intruder and convince them leaving the premises is the best option! Any ideas on how to "talk" through to my audio receiver and blast throughout the house?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:51 AM »
The Foscam has 2-way audio, so it is possible to speak over the mic which is conected on you system to the cam speaker or you can play a wav file to the cam speaker. I've didn't test it yet, but the cam interface show me the option talk to cam speaker. I will take a look on it  ;)

Take a look at this software (it is free for use on local network) I think it contain all your wishes and it is possible to send events to VC.

http://www.ispyconnect.com/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:47:32 AM by Kalle »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »
I do not use VAC but possibly there is a way to monitor which inputs are active on VAC and somehow pass that info to VC so it knows where to send TTS messages.

Anybody worked on this ? it can be the perfect solution for multiple rooms mics and VC would know from where the Command is coming .. so turn of the light would know which room to address
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:04:56 AM »
I've created a "cheap" (<19$) PIR sensor based on Arduino Nano which comunicate wireless with VC (send a event when motion is detected and also send a event after a specified time when there are no more motion detected). In this way it is possible to change the audio input where VC listen to in theory (I've not tested it yet).
We will work more on that and what is possible with the arduino stuff next time - stay tuned  ;)

update: I've tested it with success by change the mic input when a motion is detect and if no more motion detect, VC switch back to default mic input.

attached a peek on the first prototype:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:04:17 AM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »
Very impressive Kalle!

I think we can make it a bit cheaper. I think the power supply or making it work with batteries is the tricky part.

Great job on the build layout and the case!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
Absolute right, the power supply is the most expensive part at this sensor (7-9$) so the battery solution will shrink the project costs to round about 10$. A other part which need attention is the RF-receiver/transmitter, if we spend one or two more dollar, it wiil have a really better range - but I think at the moment a range of 30 feet with some walls between is ok or maybe the antenna is the trick  ::hmm

and here a short demo video:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=muGYIf7TjHw
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:46:58 AM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
Here is a cost break-down for US using the cheapest parts I could find on ebay (today).  Maybe spend 1 or 2 dollars more on the power supply if you are worried about fires.  :biglaugh

Of course there is the small matter of the time to build it (fun time) and the other small things you need like wires, a prototype board, case etc.  But for a bare bones sensor we are getting close to $10 including the power supply, and don't forget that you can add other sensors to the unit in addition to PIR.  Temperature and Light sensors can be added for a few cents each, you can create a flood sensor with just a wire and resistor or two etc. all these things could be put on the same board.

Plan to plug these things in though, trying to find a way to do it on batteries is much more difficult than you might expect!

Item Price (US) link
arduino pro mini 2.36 link
PIR sensor 1.65 link
433Mhz RF 1.29 link
USB charger 2.60 link
Total: $7.90 USD
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:22:43 AM by jitterjames »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
Wow, thats it  ::wiggle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
And you will want one Nano connected to the computer...

Plus you should expect that a small percentage of the parts you get might be defective, and not worth shipping back for a refund, but so far I have had very good luck ordering these types of things from China.  You can also expect to wait about 2 to 5 weeks after ordering.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention, that with the Arduino Pro mini, you need a special device to program it.  I think this costs between 2 to 5 dollars, but I have not tested this theory yet...

I am still waiting for my first pro mini to arrive!

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
nice ..... !!!!  ::bow

As well I have been lucky getting stuff from china through ebay ... takes a bit to arrive but at unbeatable prices ...

I was thinking to use iSpy toward the same goal ... the only issue is that multiple people in different rooms will drive VC crazy !!! the problem persist even by detecting which mic is generating the voice ... as noise or again people talking in another room is an issue.
till now the plan of solution I came with must contain a button to press in the sub-zones (rooms) while keeping free mic in the main zone ... still to be explored ..
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 02:47:21 AM »
 :clap great work on that PIR build Kalle! Really cool to see things like that!

As for
I'd like to challenge any intruder and convince them leaving the premises is the best option!
I have had this same idea\question and although I havent set this up before my thought pattern might spark something with you.

Seeing as VC is windows based already I was looking in using a VOIP system like 3CX (was free for personal use last time i checked) and this pared with email or txt notification from the alarm system about an intruder would switch audio gear on and then I would respond to the txt\email notification by phoning an extension on my VOIP system at home that auto answers and outputs audio to the AV gear that was switched on.

Again just some ideas that I was playing with but nothing 100% but I hope this helps in some way 

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:12 PM »
I'd like to place multiple cameras (low cost) in and out of the home and have them linked to Vera/DSC. I would like to arm and disarm using VC (eventually moving towards a proximity detector). When an alarm condition exists, I would like to establish a 2 way audio and video link, via Android, and challenge the intruder, in addition to the alarm sounding off.

Using VC, I'd like to arm/disarm and check status. And of course, I'm looking for a frugal design.

One of the key design criteria is that I would like to have multiple speakers in the design so that I can "talk to/challenge" to an intruder in any room. So do I need multiple sound cards (1 for the media part of the design and a second for the alarm broadcast, and VAC?)

Hi DHHJ,

Just wondering if any parts of your vision have come together yet. Or, if not so far, whether you've learned anything of interest since you initially posted, perhaps about the feasibility or challenges of particular components?

thx
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Casmo

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »
Thanks for bump Nime!

I'd also be very interested to hear how this has progressed..

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
Wow!  The Arduino build is axe Kalle!

I may be bothering you for some instructions when Neesha and I finally get our own place!

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb