Author Topic: Infinite Wave Reco Complete after starting XBMC  (Read 4790 times)

squatingyeti

• View Profile
Infinite Wave Reco Complete after starting XBMC
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »
Hey james, I've run into an error moving my setup into the living room with kinect as the mic. This may be because the way I tried to do it or because something else entirely. I'll start with the way I moved things in case I did something stupid. I wanted to take all the commands I had already created on my main PC and use them in the living room. I had considered the main PC as the testing ground. So, I simply copied my VC folder to the living room. Then, I downloaded the new VC 2.1.27. Everything is working fine, but I had never setup XBMC on the other computer. So, I tried to load the standard XBMC commands and it took away my other commands.

I don't know the correct way to add standard commands to an already existing command structure :( I then just opened up a copy of my saved commands from my main PC and proceeded to drag each group to the tree with the XBMC commands. Probably the complete incorrect way to do this. After all this, everything worked correctly. All my old commands worked fine.

I followed the steps to get XBMC up and going by setting the plugins correctly and adding the vox plugin to XBMC. Generated my payloads but noticed VC was going crazy in the event history. I had to turn VC off to see what it was doing. That's when I saw Wave Reco Complete over and over for as far as the history would show. Purged and rebuilt grammar, upgraded to VC 2.1.29 and restarted everything. Worked great again, but as soon as XBMC opens I get nonstop Wave Reco Complete and I have to turn off VC and close it. Nothing short of closing XBMC seems to make it stop.

tldr : VC with kinect is spamming the event Wave Reco Complete when XBMC opens and becomes unresponsive :(

Thanks and it's likely I did something stupid.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Infinite Wave Reco Complete after starting XBMC
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
I really don't know.  The wav reco event is normally generated after a wav file is analyzed for speech audio.  Normally this is only used by VoxWav with the TcpMic plugin but it might also happen if you have set a "wav watch folder" in options/advanced.  Check that you did not put something in there by accident.

I recommend that you do a clean install and only add the default XBMC config and see how that goes first.

Then check out the "combining different configurations video": http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Video_Tutorials

You also mention Kinect but I don't really know how you are using it or if it is relevant.  Try using another mic to see if it is related.

When weird things happen it always helps if I can look at a log file.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »
I'll get that log to you. First step I wanted to just go with a clean install so I setup another VC and installed it. I'm using Kinect as the mic. After install and starting VoxCommandoSP I get this error screen:

Pretty sure I went through the right steps to install the MS speech platform.

After the attached error is closed I get: "Failed to create cfg: srgs\SP_en-US_XBMC Payload Actions.cfg
so it looks like an error with my speech install??

Throws the attached error again if I genxml with xsql. Get the wave reco complete error if I try to do anything with xbmc while VC is running. Definitely no watched folders or wavs in them. Something to do with kinect and my errors I imagine.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:24:50 PM by squatingyeti »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
That error is related to the SP engine being a bit picky about the commands in a particular group (it is a bug in the MS SP engine) but it has nothing to do with your other problem with wav reco events, and all your other groups should still work.  For now I recommend you do not use SP unless you have a good reason to do so.

Are you just using Kinect as a regular microphone or are you using the Kinect streaming as found in Options, under the Kinect tab?  Please do test without the Kinect to see if it is related.

I have never heard of anything like this with the wav reco events. I really don't know what you might have done.  Is this your first time trying to use XBMC?  Please tell us what version of XBMC you are using.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:10:50 AM by jitterjames »

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »
I'm using kinect streaming as found in the options and just the settings you recommend are checked. I'll test without kinect, but it will have to wait until tomorrow as I'm already getting the stink eye for another one of my projects taking up my time lol

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »
I understand.

Well it sounds like you have changed 5 things at once.  You need to break it down.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:19:38 PM »
Ok...I think I have it working. Well, everything except kinect which is my next test. I started completely over, but first I ran a test on my main PC. Created another version of VC and started with just the standard XBMC commands. I installed XBMC on that computer and scanned everything into the library my HTPC can see. Works perfectly including VoxSP without that big error attached earlier. Then, I started copying commands and payloads one by one from my current configuration and testing. Everything checked out with no problems after all options, payloads, and commands were added.

I then moved back to the HTPC and went for a fresh start there as well with a yeti mic for tests instead of the kinect. Did the same thing except got the previously attached error thrown at me again as soon as I installed and picked the standard XBMC config. Now, both my HTPC and main PC have the same OS (Win8.1) and run everything pretty similar, so that had me confused. I was convinced something had to be wrong with the MS speech installs. Deleted everything, including kinect drivers and downloaded each file again. Installed them and restarted for peace of mind lol. Even started over with Vox again. Voila! No error thrown with the standard XBMC config using VoxSP. It seems something had not installed correctly with the MS speech despite the system thinking it had.

Followed the steps of adding my backed up commands, payloads etc as with the main PC and everything is running PERFECT! Now, I will do everything with adding the kinect from here step by step with tests each step to see if I get the repeated Wave Reco Complete issue.

tl;dr Started over with everything including drivers and have no errors with a Yeti mic. Will be adding kinect to the equation now and reporting back my hopeful success.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
Before trying with the Kinect I suggest you make a complete backup of your current folder (just copy the whole folder to a new location), then mess with the copy to see if you can get the Kinect working.

Try with and without SP.  If you don't notice a big difference then I suggest you stick with the non-SP version.

*Note you can also just use the Kinect as an ordinary Windows microphone without enabling the streaming option.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
Well, step by step everything worked with kinect and SP...until I changed the kinect option to attempt to use kinect device with audio streaming :/ Again, it works fine that way with all commands, but as soon as I start XBMC it goes haywire with the Wave Reco Complete event. I've made extra sure I'm watching no folders or anything.

I can get you a log to see if that will help track this down.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 03:44:40 PM »
Well, I can tell you it has something to do with the sound output of XBMC on my HTPC and the Kinect AEC setting. If I change the sound output from WASAPI HDMI to DirectSound HDMI, I am able to use XBMC normally until I play any music or video. Doing that brings back the Wave.Reco.Complete event and hangs Vox. Turning off AEC allows everything to work normally with kinect.

So, this is probably something unique to my setup maybe. I go from HTPC to receiver using HDMI and I have passthrough enabled, but not sure I actually need that as my HTPC can handle DTS-HD and whatnot on its own. No matter which output I use, Vox always throws an error on the TTS.SpeakSync that is set to fire when you start playing a movie and it doesn't actually say anything. Otherwise, TTS works normally.

Not sure if it's worth your time to look at a log as this seems specific to something in my setup, but I can make it throw the repeating Wave.Reco.Complete and get you the log if you'd like.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:47:46 PM by squatingyeti »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »
Actually if you don't mind I would like to see that log.

I can see how multi-channel and AEC could cause unusual results, but I still don't see how that event would be triggered!  If I look at your log and check my source code I might be able to figure it out, but mostly just to satisfy my curiosity.

If you are using digital pass-through then AEC won't work anyway so you might as well turn that off.  TTS will also fail if you are trying to use the same output that XBMC with WASAPI is already using.  That is not specific to you, that is how it works with XBMC.  WASAPI takes exclusive control of the output.  If you want to use TTS on the same output then XBMC must use DirectSound with no pass-through.  I get around this by using my TV speakers for TTS when using XBMC.  When I run MediaMonkey (which I have configured to not use WASAPI) then it automatically switches the TTS output back to my stereo in case I want to turn my TV off while listening to music.

When watching multi-channel-audio videos I believe that you should always use pass-through for the purist surround sound and least amount of work for your PC, but there are probably others out there that will disagree with me. I'm no expert.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »
Ok, give me a little time to create that log for you. The stink eye has returned and chances of sleeping on the couch are rising lol. I'm with you on the pass-through, but I've heard a few disagree. I think VC even freezes if I ask for it to do a few things that require TTS while xbmc is running. Anyway, I'll get you the log in a bit. Btw, how do you get the sound to the TV from your setup?

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »
She got preoccupied with something and I seized my opportunity  :biglaugh. Here's the log with AEC on and you can see after the movie starts it just starts firing off the same error over and over.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
Thanks for the log.  ;D

If I can figure it out I may at least be able to detect when this specific situation arises and automatically fall back to non AEC mode.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »
I think VC even freezes if I ask for it to do a few things that require TTS while xbmc is running.
Under what circumstances?  I've never had this happen.  Do you mean when using the Kinect streaming with AEC and using WASAPI?

Btw, how do you get the sound to the TV from your setup?

I have an HDMI cable that goes directly to my TV which carries both the video and sometimes audio.  (This means I don't have to have my energy sucking Onkyo on just to browse the web etc.)

I have an optical output connected to my Onkyo which only carries audio.

If you feel that you need to have HDMI going to your receiver, then you can probably also use an analog output to your TV (or some other small speakers).  Or if you have two HDMI outputs you can connect one to the TV and one to the receiver.  The actual setup will vary depending on the hardware you have available.

I switch my TTS outputs using the action TTS.SetOutput
I trigger commands to switch the output using focused events (in case XBMC or MM was started manually) and also in my "listen to music" and "watch TV" commands.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:01:52 PM by jitterjames »