Author Topic: Infinite Wave Reco Complete after starting XBMC  (Read 4782 times)

squatingyeti

• View Profile
Re: Infinite Wave Reco Complete after starting XBMC
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
Awesome on the sound setup. I'm gonna mess with that today. I'll test and see what caused the VC freeze and if I can duplicate it.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
Ok, the freeze was not actually a freeze at all, just a bit of a hang. Also, not caused by VC, but rather when vera decides it wants to act up and take too long to respond to a status check of a device. I'm guessing this is more of a UI7 issue still as those on UI5 don't seem to run into this very much, but it seems to happen after messing with stuff like PLEG a bit and can be resolved by a precautionary reboot of the vera after several changes are made.

On another note, I read where you said kinect can't interpret numbers correctly and needs a payload iirc. Is there a quick way to do this or will I literally have to go through each number connecting one-1 and so on?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »
It isn't the Kinect itself that has the number limitation so just because you are using the Kinect as a microphone does not mean it will affect you.  It is only a problem if you are running the SP version of VC and you select a specific recognizer such as Microsoft Server Speech Recognition Language - Kinect (en-US) in the main options tab.

Actually, all of the SP engines seem to have difficulties with numbers, but the Kinect engines completely reject numbers.

I'm pretty sure that when Microsoft releases any kind of speech api, they never actually use it and never fix any of the bugs that people report.  There are still major bugs in the speech API (SAPI) left over from Vista.  In most cases I have had to create workarounds to try to cope with them.  And in some cases I ended up with something better anyway.  The speech platform version 11 has a new set of issues for us to discover and have fun with. :P

But you know, it's only version 11 of the Windows Speech Platform, so we can still consider it a beta for now.  :biglaugh

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
 :biglaugh They only realize they've made a mistake when they skip version numbers. I patiently await the jump from 11 to 13 (13 being bad luck we might get straight to 14 if we're lucky).

So am I correct in the understanding I need to make a payload tying each word with each number i.e one - 1 to the highest number I'll likely need? Dear god, 2001 A Space Odyssey will be the death of me. HAL!

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 05:03:45 PM »
Since VC supports partial matching of payload phrases, maybe you can just try saying commands like "Play movie 2001" as "Play movie Space Odyssey"? (Make sure that "submatch" is checked in those payload xml files, of course.)

Stick to using a digit ->phrase payload xml file just for things where you really do want to use a number value -- e.g. for turning volume to a particular level between 1 and 100, or light levels etc. Then hopefully a list from 0 to 100 will cover most situations . Actually, since in those cases you're most likely to use larger increments "dim light to (10/50/80) percent", "set volume to 20/25/30", you might be able to get away with a list of multiples of five or ten or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:22:01 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
So am I correct in the understanding I need to make a payload tying each word with each number i.e one - 1 to the highest

I don't know.  It depends on your setup.  Which version of VC are you using and which speech engine?

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
Yeah nime5ter, I think I can get away with using increments like that and just catch special cases like 21/22 jump street.

James, I'm using the latest VC 2.1.2.9 and the MS speech recognition for kinect-us

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 07:14:14 PM »
as Nime5ter said you can probably just say "jump street" instead of "21 jump street".

Actually, with SP and a Kinect engine, when using payloadRanges and payloadLists VC will automatically convert numbers to phrases for you (as though you had created a payloadXML with words for the phrases and integers for the values.  It only does this in English though.  You can try it.  The problem then arises (and I think you have seen this), that if you have too many similar commands with payload ranges in the same group, then one of the MS bugs will surface and your groups will not load.  You will get an error about a rule reference not found or something to that effect.

Personally (I think I'm repeating myself),  I would try the non-SP version first to see if it can work for you.  Far less headaches.  It still works with Kinect though *possibly* not as well.  You should try it to make sure.

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Yeah, I'll give the regular version a shot and see how it goes. Do I need to still use the kinect speech recognition or do I switch to the regular one and not worry about the kinect beam forming and whatnot?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 07:43:06 AM »
It's up to you. See what works best for you.

Beam forming etc. is still supported with the standard engine.  The SP recognizers were apparently tuned to the Kinect's audio profile.