Author Topic: Internet Radio  (Read 22336 times)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Internet Radio
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »
create as new from the post above

Is it possible to write the url in a pls data?  ::)

The problem with this question is that we don't have any idea what the user actually wants, or what his or her set-up is at home.

There are various "correct" ways to respond, and the correct answer for Tecni's needs will depend on *why* Tecni thinks he (or she) needs to write a URL to a pls.

It is better to explain what you want to do with the pls, rather than asking a general question that requires us to imagine what you are actually trying to do.

When we don't know how someone is using VoxCommando and we try to guess, we end up wasting a lot of our time providing a million different solutions, none of which seems to be what the user wants.

Here is one example of a very specific, detailed question that we can answer:

I am using VC version 1.166.

I would like to play the radio audio stream using XBMC Frodo's native "My Audio" player rather than using VoxCommando like James is doing in his command above. This is because I want to play the stream on a different computer on my network -- not the computer that is running VoxCommando.

To do this, I want to create a pls file based on the streamURL returned in James's command and pass that information to XBMC running on a different computer.

How can I do that? And does this sound like the best solution?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:27:38 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »
Hi Naomi, you're talking out of my soul and I think we need some forum rules (or did we have some?). Your post is a really good start. Maybe it makes sense if we can deactivate the PM function  ::hmm
I know that would be nice to have a private support, but James and some other helpers are not micosoft which have his own support section with hunderts of employee. If everyone post in the forum, there are more opportunities to help by other users.  :bignod
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
I agree Kalle.

However, I do not wish to disable the PM function because it is still a valid tool for users when used properly, and not everyone wants to make their email address public so PM is the only option for private communication.

I do think that we need some forum rules and guidelines, but creating the rules is just one more job for me that I have not found the time to take care of.  There is also the feeling that even if I create them, many users will simply disregard them.  My currently signature does not seem to be having much effect.

If users don't follow the rules (within reason) then I guess we will need to start banning people that do not respond to warnings.  :(

I think we can pretty much copy and paste the forum rules from XBMC without too many modifications.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Forum_rules#ADVICE:_How_do_I_ask_a_question_in_a_smart_way.3F

This issue happened to come up in the Internet Radio thread, but it is a common problem.  It is not intended as an attack on any individual user, but in this thread we see an example of a user who would benefit from reading and understanding these concepts.  I am always happy to provide support to any user when I can.  But I prefer to help people who can ask meaningful questions without wasting my time.  Also, bothering forum members by asking for help through the private message system is simply not acceptable.

FallenOne

• step by step
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
soo.. digging out the old thread.

first of all, thanks for introducing me to radio paradise ;) love it.
second of all, in your command you use "Sound.SetVol" to adjust the streams volume.

well.. sort of... while Sound.SetVol controls the system volume, i can't really hear the tts when it is turned down ;)

so i looked into some commands and found "Sound.SetStreamVol" . what i encountered was that basically it adjusts the volume independent from the system volume slider, but it also affects the tts voice :C
now the question is: is there a way to regulate the stream volume, while keeping the tts voice at the same volume?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
I don't think so.  This seems to be a peculiarity of windows and/or .Net

I was surprised to discover this myself.

If this is a big enough problem for you then I recommend that you instead play the stream using a separate program like MediaMonkey, iTunes, Windows media player etc.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:23:16 PM by jitterjames »

FallenOne

• step by step
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
but....but... this is so all-in-one-convinient ;)

well... time to get media monkey i guess ;) thanks for the fast answer!

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »
James, stumbling across your code for getting local cinema information was a very happy accident.

I have a couple issues if you can help...

How do I get the display to stay on the screen for a longer period/on until I tell it to go away?

When I use the command there are too many movies to fit in the black window, any way to shrink to fit?

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »
If you look at the parameters avaialable for Osd.ShowText you will see that there is one for duration.  Just indicate in milliseconds how long you want it to stay on screen.
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Actions#ShowText

There is no way to tell it when to hide the osd.

You can set the font size as well using Osd.SetFontSize
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Actions#SetFontSize

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Actually, you could show osd with a really long duration (say 90000 for 90 seconds) and then hide it using osd.showtext with a very short duration like 5 milliseconds.

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<commandGroup open="True" name="osd test" enabled="True" prefix="" priority="0" requiredProcess="" description="">
  <command id="206" name="show long osd" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
      <cmdString>this is a test&amp;&amp;90000</cmdString>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <phrase>show long osd</phrase>
  </command>
  <command id="219" name="hide osd" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
    <action>
      <cmdType>OSD.ShowText</cmdType>
      <cmdString>hiding...&amp;&amp;50</cmdString>
      <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
    </action>
    <phrase>hide osd</phrase>
  </command>
</commandGroup>

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
I wonder how many beers I'm gonna owe you before today is through ;)

I shall try this stuff out (and all the other helps you've given me) as soon as Neesha is at work or studying.

I'll let you know how I get on.

xxx
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 06:59:14 PM »
I have been trying to set up  internet radio using xml from here. I have been able to get the station to play but am having difficulty in coding for the info. Please help with how do I find the URL to scrape from the website. The site is www.smoothjazzflorida.com. While this is specific, I would like to understand the process. Thanks.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »
There are several different xml posts in this thread. Which xml you are using, exactly?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Just to clarify:

You are able to play the stream, but you want to know how you can ask about what current song is playing, and what artist and album it is.  Is that correct?

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 11:36:15 PM »
Just to clarify:

You are able to play the stream, but you want to know how you can ask about what current song is playing, and what artist and album it is.  Is that correct?

Yes. That is correct.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 02:36:41 AM »
There are several different xml posts in this thread. Which xml you are using, exactly?

Radio Paradise by jitterjames. While I was able to get the stream working,  it would also be good to understand how to locate the info for the stream.