Author Topic: Several requests in multiple microphones  (Read 3179 times)

davidsilva

• View Profile
Several requests in multiple microphones
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »
Hi.
I think this topic has been discussed in other topics, but until now I haven't found a good answer about my question.
I intend instaling several microphones in multiple divisions of a home and all connected to the MIC input of my computer. What kind of equipment makes the mixing of microphones, to connect in MIC input? When several people ask different commands in different divisions, the VoxCommando can interpret all requests?

Best regards
David

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Several requests in multiple microphones
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:06:49 AM »
Hi David, here is example of a mic mixer and it depends absolute on which budget you have available.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/188356-REG/Shure_SCM410_SCM410_4_Channel_Automatic.html

If you mean: "what does VC when more then one people give different commands at once time?"

I think VC will not understand the mix of commands.
I'm not really sure, so far I understand, the mixer above can activate a channel when a configured input level is achieved, but I don't know if the other channels are then deactivated.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:22:57 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:45 AM »
VoxCommando cannot understand multiple simultaneous commands, unless you use VoxWav.

The expensive "smart" or "automatic" microphone mixers will detect audio on one input and then mute the other inputs. This is good because it means that at least one command will be heard correctly.  If you use a normal mixer the noise from all inputs will be combined making recognition difficult even when only one person is speaking and impossible when two or more speak at the same time.

In reality the chance of multiple users giving commands at the same time is probably relatively low.  Once the initial wow-factor wears off, most people are not constantly talking to their computer.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
Thanks for this explanation James.  :bignod
***********  get excited and make things  **********

davidsilva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »
Hi,
Thank you for your explanations.
So, is there any other solution with fixed microphones in various locations?
And using VoxWav, how many can I use at once?

Best regards
David

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
So, is there any other solution with fixed microphones in various locations?

No, I think using a "smart" mixer or VoxWav are the only plausible options that we know of. User Aussie Mate has the most to say about hardware for the first option: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1425.msg12382#msg12382

And using VoxWav, how many can I use at once?

Good question. We have not tried to systematically test this. When we have the time, we can do some informal tests and share our experiences. How many different inputs are you hoping for?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
There is theoretically no limit to the number of VoxWavs you can have running at the same time.

However, if you send audio from 2 or more VoxWavs at the same time they seem to interfere with each other, and it looks like only one of them will be understood (I am not sure if it is the first or last).  Subsequent commands will continue to work for all instances, they only interfere with each other while both are transmitting audio at the same time, but then work fine afterwards so you can repeat your command and it will work.

If I get a chance I will look into this to see if there is a solution but I have a lot of other things I am working on so it may be a while.

davidsilva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Hi.
I meant 5 VoxWavs working. But rarely will be all at the same time, so no problem.
Thank you for your help and explanations.

Best regards
David