Author Topic: THANK YOU  (Read 3041 times)

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
THANK YOU
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:41:51 AM »
Hi James and VC team (anyone who helps)  :biglaugh

I would just like to say thanks for all the help and support and a big congrats on a really amizing piece of software. You are all doing a great job and I am only starting to realise the potential of VC but i can see the effort to some extent! I will gladly admit i am not the smartest guy and i will ask some seemingly "dumb" questions but you have all been very helpful and i hope that i can return that in some way.... hopefully soon by buying VC (once i get new employment)  :bonk and in some weird way maybe i can assist someone else.

I do have great respect for you guys reading some questions that you get. It is at some points really hard to get what someone is on about but you all do seem to really try and help! so from my side and all those who might not always post it...

THANK YOU ALL!

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: THANK YOU
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
Your post was a real morale booster around here, mdsh, and well timed too, so thank *you*!
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 05:55:52 AM »
It's my pleasure!! Someone needed to say something because i am sure we all feel the same. I have a few members on this forum that have been vital in my learning phase that is still going on but at least with that initial help it got me going on the right path and made it a lot better knowing there would be that support should i run into a real issue :)

Keep well

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Feeling the love.  I too am extremely grateful.  About 5 years ago I dreamed of having half of what I have now.  I tried some Dragon Naturally Speaking software but it was extremely limited, not geared up for what I wanted to achieve and no matter how much training I gave it I would get nowhere.  When I first saw a demo of Vox several years later I couldn't believe it, and when I saw how easy it was to achieve I was blown away.

That was nothing though compared to how blown away I've been by the generosity and patience of both the community and the author.

I was compelled to promote the software and create guides and demonstrations of some of the things I'd achieved with it.  It's become a real hobby and I rave on about it every chance I get.

If you spend your your next 30 bucks on anything make sure it is a license for this software, you won't regret it.

-P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:31:48 PM by jitterjames »
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
Thanks mate.  I'm feeling the love too now!

I edited your post to correct the price tag. ;)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »
Bit more love here...

Xxx

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 11:59:21 PM »
Oh you big suck.

The switchy switchy is pretty amazing.  Is it really that fast?  Do you actually have both programs running at once and you are just switching focus?
... well I guess you must be since I'm not seeing any splash screens etc.
Do they get along OK that way?

And by the way, just because you are in a band does not mean that you are not a nerd!  ;D

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »
You're right, it's my Harry Potter T-Shirt that means I'm not a nerd ;)

As long as MCE is already open then it really is that fast, if it has to launch the program then obviously it takes as long as your PC takes.  The only visible clue you've switched programs is when switching back to XBMC there is a slight flicker for about a millisecond that you can't see in my Youtube video which I think would be solvable if it was bothersome.  It's not like you can see the desktop or anything, I can't really describe it as anything more than a flicker that is probably caused by the PC switching from True full screen (MCE) to filled screen (XBMC).  I could set True full screen in XBMC and see if the issue went away, but that causes another issue for me elsewhere believe it or not, and like I said it isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it.

The switching works by launching MCE over the top (rather than focussing), so if the program isn't running it will still work.  I added the additional commands to open straight to Live TV so you don't get the whole Media Center startup noises and logos and ugly menu.

I normally have it launch straight into live TV rather than the guide as Neesha tends to be the only one that uses it nowadays and it's always switched to the same channel (Gems TV).

I set the switching functionality up ages ago when I was an Eventghost kinda guy to be done by remote, so Eventghost handles much of the switching, but I could set this up via Vox instead now I'm a bit more knowledgeable.  Now that I can use Vox to navigate MCE I might be more interested in watching TV occasionally as I could set up shortcuts to favourite channels and use Vox to jump straight to manly shows about cars instead of girly shows about jewellery.

The two do play nice, but obviously you have to have Vox turn groups on and off as you switch so that the "pause" and "resume" functions don't start XBMC playing stuff in the background.  When I say "I want to watch live TV" it disables the group "XBMC simple actions" and enables "MCE", when I say "Switch back to XBMC" it disables "MCE" and re-enables "XBMC simple actions".

I shall do a video tutorial soon in case others want to do it, but I may see if I can achieve it in Vox instead of Eventghost and then have it trigger as an event from Eventghost in case I still want to use the remote.

-P

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
I fully agree with you Mr. Wolf!! My next, well first pay cheque, will definitely see a $30 deduction for my license for this great software and hopefully this just shows all the guys and girls who keep this amazing piece of software alive that we do love it so much!

Just for you though Mr. Wolf after I saw you windows media center and XBMC video.

Have a look at this youtube clip. I think you might find something really helpful there. (PS thanks for all your videos on youtube as well, you are helping me so much)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Glad to hear I've been a help :)

I watched the video, looked a lot easier than it used to be to set up the PVR functionality, but I'm curious as to the quality though, it's the one thing he didn't show in his video.

I might experiment when I get a spare hour to see if the advantages of keeping all my functionality in XBMC outweigh the quality of using Windows MCE.

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »
I'm just curious.  Did you ever try MediaPortal?  I think it is supposed to be good for PVR stuff (maybe the only really good thing about it compared to XBMC) but it is also more customizable than Media Center and we have a better plugin for controlling it from VC.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Re: THANK YOU
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
Yeah, I think that's what I tried first, I can't remember whether it was the quality of picture, or the layout that I wasn't keen on.

Will give it another go as part of my experiment.

Do you watch Live TV?

-P

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re:
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »
No, I don't, but it still interests me.  If I lived somewhere that I could pick up a free signal I would probably give it a try.  My only choice here is satellite and i have no interest in paying what they are charging.

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Re: THANK YOU
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
Yes, I forget that you live in some kind of paradisiacal wonderland where television is not required. It's a miracle that Vox was born out of a place where going outside means visiting places I can only dream of ;)
The lake round ours isn't bad in all honesty... if you blank out the losers drinking cans of lager on the benches at lunch time.

If it wasn't for the band and my family I'd be joining you in Canada.

-P

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2