Author Topic: Amulet Remote and VirtualBox  (Read 14882 times)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Making VC listen and not listen, and adjust volume
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
And screw voice control. It should just read our thoughts.
and the most important function - a "special mute button"  :biglaugh

http://www.w3alpha.com/cms/uploads/editorial/289/pic_s/340502d9d1458faeedf4f3516e268939.jpg

;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:48:49 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Making VC listen and not listen, and adjust volume
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
oh boy.  ::)

now you are going to get us ALL in trouble.

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Amulet Remote and VirtualBox
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
 :biglaugh While we're at it, let me add a few of my own.

I shouldn't be restricted to controlling just TV/XBMC. I need to be able to control EVERYTHING by thought.
And I want full HD, better yet, 4K video projected right into my brain. :biglaugh

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 08:40:09 AM »
I don't think my brain is even capable of processing 720p

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 11:56:13 PM »
I finally got my first Amulet. I use VC in a Windows10 virtual box VM. I set the USB filter for the dongle. The IR part of the Amulet seems to already work w/ my existing MC remote. the RF dongle lights up blue when i tilt the Amulet. I loaded the AmuletWin10 exe from the VC extras. Is there a guide/walkthrough for the amulet / VC. The wiki points to the forum but did I miss it?
Is the Amulet software referenced herehttp://www.amuletdevices.com/pdf/Amulet_UserGuide.pdf still required?

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 01:22:18 AM »
When I setup my 2 amulets both on windows 8.1 I did as you did and then added in the amulet events to have it turn vc on and also have it turn the volume down in KODI

Here is a the forum where they talk about the amulet events from the amuletusb.exe Im not sure but I would think that the AmuletWin10.exe would have the same feature - http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=803.msg6442#msg6442

when you tip the remote up do you have events trigger in VC, if so use those for your vc on and volume down actions,

I never used the Amulet software, it shouldn't be needed to work with VC

hope this helps

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
No other software is required. You don't even need to run the amuletUSB.exe unless you want to use the tilt events.

When amuletUSB.exe is running events should appear in your history window automatically.

The windows 10 version is the same, it just tries to work around an issue created in win 10 when resuming from sleep.

I don't know what effect using a virtual box might have. Hopefully none. If the RF dongle is working then your Amulet should appear as a normal Windows microphone and you can use it with any program as a mic.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:53:05 AM by jitterjames »

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 07:02:56 PM »
Thanks friends.
I finally got the link to work but audio is still not truly passing through. I see the events triggering in the history, but I still think perhaps some driver issue? Before I got the USB redirect the Dongle showed up under the top in Device Viewer under Audio Inputs/Outputs...currently on the guest I only see it in Sound, video and game controllers?

UPDATE: after playing around i got this , still no audio, is it supposed to be like voxwav? What setting have you set for 'REMOTE' in the USB filter Any/Yes/No?
Attached screengrabs
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:35:36 PM by vulcanjedi »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
UPDATE: after playing around i got this , still no audio, is it supposed to be like voxwav? What setting have you set for 'REMOTE' in the USB filter Any/Yes/No?
Attached screengrabs

Like VoxWav?  Not even remotely.  It should be like any other USB microphone in Windows.

Are you able to use the mic with sound recorder?  Try closing the AmuletUSB.exe program until you get the microphone working.

I don't really understand what you are showing in the screenshots but maybe that is because I am not familiar with VirtualBox.  I don't know anything about setting USB filters etc.  Maybe someone else does.

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 08:18:40 PM »
No the sound recorder doesn't work either. The link goes up/down and events are triggered. Haven't managed to get any successful aspect of voice capture from amulet ...yet.
USB filters is the mechanism VirtualBox uses to manage which USB ports/devices are pass thru from the Host to the Guest...so you can manage which USB devices you want to keep maintained on the Host system vs which device you may wish to pass thru to render on the Guest.
Will try not running AmuletUSB until sound input works first.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 08:33:52 AM »
@vulcanjedi -- you could try PMing ajith, who started this thread. He hasn't been around in a while, but he's super nice, super savvy, and has a fair bit of experience with this.

I'm not sure if he gets alerted to private messages at this point, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, have you tried testing the Amulet mic functions on a normal Windows machine to make sure there's nothing wrong with the remote?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »
Will do nime5ter...eager to get my new amulet working ;)
I dug up an old big laptop as I have limited windows capable machines at the moment but will give a go on that one. It too is win10 since I wanted to make sure I upgraded while I could.
Ill try reaching out to ajith as well.

@vulcanjedi -- you could try PMing ajith, who started this thread. He hasn't been around in a while, but he's super nice, super savvy, and has a fair bit of experience with this.

I'm not sure if he gets alerted to private messages at this point, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, have you tried testing the Amulet mic functions on a normal Windows machine to make sure there's nothing wrong with the remote?

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »
@vulcanjedi - James and Nime5ter already have suggested most of the things I can think of. Did you try the Amulet remote with your Win 10 laptop? Did it work as a microphone (could you record audio using Sound Recorder?)?

Here's something I would try at this point:

What is the version of Oracle Virtualbox you're using? If it isn't the latest, can you try upgrading it to the latest (5.0.6 right now)? To upgrade, it only takes a download and an install, as you'd do if it were the first time. The guest VM definition and virtual OS disk is preserved across the upgrade. After this install,
1. make sure you also install Virtualbox's companion "extension pack" for the corresponding version of Virtualbox and
2. Install and upgrade the "guest additions" within the guest VM using the CD ISO image that Virtualbox provides.
3. Reboot the VM and try the Amulet as a microphone.

Also, I hope you are not creating the USB filters by hand. The filters should appear under USB configuration in Virtualbox automatically, once the Amulet USB dongle is plugged in. At this point, you should have to just enable the checkbox against the filter. If you upgrade as described above, try to remove all USB filters, reboot VM and re-create the filters by plugging in the Amulet dongle.

-Ajith

@Nime5ter - those are some very kind words you mentioned about me :)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »
 ::wave

Hello Ajith.

Ah, but you have just proven that I merely speak the truth.

Thanks for chiming in, much appreciated.

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
Thanks ajith.
I did manage to did up my old behemoth laptop that has win10 on it.
It does in fact work....but that laptops outdated and its massive size leaves me to sort out problematically thinking of where to put it.

I have tried most of your ideas, I was using the 'check for updates' feature w/in Vbox itself but it was saying I was up to date. I was on 5.0 but on the site 5.06 is available. I know initially post 5.0 had win 10 issues.  I manually updated to 5.06.  loaded the updated extension packs and the guest additions. Cleared out the usb filter and loaded the normal console to vet the guest additions and manually click the Amulet devices.
Unfortunately nothing has changed. I shutdown guests. rebooted host. Confirmed amulet works on the host too. Still cant get the actual audio in the guest to work.
Affirm wasn't creating bare usb filter, just selecting from the available recognized usb devices.

@vulcanjedi - James and Nime5ter already have suggested most of the things I can think of. Did you try the Amulet remote with your Win 10 laptop? Did it work as a microphone (could you record audio using Sound Recorder?)?

Here's something I would try at this point:

What is the version of Oracle Virtualbox you're using? If it isn't the latest, can you try upgrading it to the latest (5.0.6 right now)? To upgrade, it only takes a download and an install, as you'd do if it were the first time. The guest VM definition and virtual OS disk is preserved across the upgrade. After this install,
1. make sure you also install Virtualbox's companion "extension pack" for the corresponding version of Virtualbox and
2. Install and upgrade the "guest additions" within the guest VM using the CD ISO image that Virtualbox provides.
3. Reboot the VM and try the Amulet as a microphone.

Also, I hope you are not creating the USB filters by hand. The filters should appear under USB configuration in Virtualbox automatically, once the Amulet USB dongle is plugged in. At this point, you should have to just enable the checkbox against the filter. If you upgrade as described above, try to remove all USB filters, reboot VM and re-create the filters by plugging in the Amulet dongle.

-Ajith