Author Topic: totally offtopic  (Read 3052 times)

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
totally offtopic
« on: March 11, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
James since you native language is English, would you mind telling my how a card is called that parents send out when they have a new baby ?

In dutch it's a "Geboortekaart"  Something like babybash card ? or Birthcard ?

With out 2nd on the way I wanna be creative and make it myself this time, but wanna google it abit to see what dimensions people use the most and grab some usable pictures/art here and there.

Dumb question I know, but I just can't figure it out nor can google translate it correctly :D
Challenge us at your own peril!

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: totally offtopic
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »
James since you native language is English, would you mind telling my how a card is called that parents send out when they have a new baby ?

In dutch it's a "Geboortekaart"  Something like babybash card ? or Birthcard ?

With out 2nd on the way I wanna be creative and make it myself this time, but wanna google it abit to see what dimensions people use the most and grab some usable pictures/art here and there.

Dumb question I know, but I just can't figure it out nor can google translate it correctly :D

Hi Auri,

I found some sayings and poems for the parents of the baby. The only word what i found for the "Geboortekaart" is "Baby Greetings Card"  :D

1: Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful baby girl/boy! I wish you all the best with your new family member.

2: Making the decision to have a child - it´s momentous. It´s to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. (Elisabeth Stone)

3 (poem): Now everything else is second
               Now everything else can wait
               Now one tiny person
               holds all the promise
               in the world.

Kalle ;D
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
Hi Auri,

I found some sayings and poems for the parents of the baby. The only word what i found for the "Geboortekaart" is "Baby Greetings Card"  :D

1: Congratulations on the arrival of your beautiful baby girl/boy! I wish you all the best with your new family member.

2: Making the decision to have a child - it´s momentous. It´s to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. (Elisabeth Stone)

3 (poem): Now everything else is second
               Now everything else can wait
               Now one tiny person
               holds all the promise
               in the world.

Kalle ;D

haha thanks kalle ;)

And if you didn't notice it yet, it's me who's gonna be a parent again :p  Expected birth date is mid june ;)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
haha thanks kalle ;)

And if you didn't notice it yet, it's me who's gonna be a parent again :p  Expected birth date is mid june ;)

Thats great

When the time comes, tell us know, then we can have a drink toast   :yay

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »
Thats great

When the time comes, tell us know, then we can have a drink toast   :yay

I will don't worry :D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 07:13:05 PM »
I will don't worry :D

Before I forget, this is the new alternative to your Nissan  ;)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
good one Kalle. :)

Auri, I may not be the best person to ask about this, since I am not a family man, but I don't think we actually have a word for this.  We use the word "greeting card" to cover the whole array of these cards from birthday cards to sorry you are sick cards...

I could be wrong though...  If I had to make something up I would say "Birth Announcement" and googling that I get this:

http://www.magnetstreet.com/birth-announcements?mgstStoreRefId=gaw-birt&gclid=CKGCg5rfx6cCFQbCKgod33SFCA

Don't know if that would help...

Congratulations.  You are really going to need a noise cancelling microphone now!

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 05:46:51 AM »
@ Kalle : haha, I'll stop at 2 lil' satans :D I can't handle more  :p

@James : Thanks for the info, I'll see what more I can find with the "birth announcement" thanks for the input eitherway :)

gap

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
Hi, myself i am german, so i wasn't sure.

But afaik it's called baby shower invitation if you have the 1st party for the baby(showing it), or simply birth announcement.
When i googled it this was the first result: http://babycardsnow.com/

Greetings and congratulations!

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
As a native English speaker, and as far as I know, the only woman in the house, it seemed like time to chime in here. A baby shower happens *before* the baby is born; it is not the same as announcing your new arrival.

It was originally a women-only gathering, and only before the birth of the first child, to help a new mother-to-be gather the basic baby supplies and advice she might need as she enters motherhood for the first time. Nowadays, in Canada and the U.S. (I can't speak for other English-speaking countries), there are (1) sometimes co-ed (both genders) baby showers, or different showers for family, friends, coworkers, and so on, and (2) sometimes baby showers even for the second or third baby.

As far as I can tell, the aim of baby showers is to score as much free stuff as possible, but as James mentioned we don't have kids so I may be biased. :)

It sounds to me as though Auri is indeed looking for the term "birth announcement". Or, if he's looking for what to write on the card, it's fairly common to write something like "Celebrating Our New Arrival" or "Introducing [insert baby name here]".

Hope that's of some help--or at least offers a few seconds of pointless entertainment.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:38:28 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »
As a native English speaker, and as far as I know, the only woman in the house, it seemed like time to chime in here. A baby shower happens *before* the baby is born; it is not the same as announcing your new arrival.

It was originally a women-only gathering, and only before the birth of the first child, to help a new mother-to-be gather the basic baby supplies and advice she might need as she enters motherhood for the first time. Nowadays, in Canada and the U.S. (I can't speak for other English-speaking countries), there are (1) sometimes co-ed (both genders) baby showers, or different showers for family, friends, coworkers, and so on, and (2) sometimes baby showers even for the second or third baby.

As far as I can tell, the aim of baby showers is to score as much free stuff as possible, but as James mentioned we don't have kids so I may be biased. :)

It sounds to me as though Auri is indeed looking for the term "birth announcement". Or, if he's looking for what to write on the card, it's fairly common to write something like "Celebrating Our New Arrival" or "Introducing [insert baby name here]".

Hope that's of some help--or at least offers a few seconds of pointless entertainment.  ::)

Thanks nime5ter
for the interesting, information, "man" can learn something here  :D

Kalle

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
All of your posts combined is all the info I needed.

Thanks all for the input, appreciated ;)

When the time has arrived I'll share with you my "birth announcement" card :D, it'll be somewhere mid june :p

thanks again @ all