Author Topic: Fatal Error:error accesing yhe default audio input device  (Read 5102 times)

chili123

• View Profile
Fatal Error:error accesing yhe default audio input device
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
goodday,

I am new here and this is my first post.

When i start vox commando there appears an screen what says: Fatal error: error accesing the default audio input device. then i can choose continue and the program is starting but in the small screen on top says loading.....please wait. because of the error it is not working. I have an ati radeon 5450 card with hdm and audio passthrough. But when i choose the default audio it is still not working. anuone an idea because i saw the demo video of WMC and it is great.  All my audio input devices work correctly. The microfoon is working when i test it but not in vox commando.

greetz,

Jeroen.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Fatal Error:error accesing yhe default audio input device
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:20:35 AM »
Welcome Chili123.  I hope we can help solve your problem

- What version of VoxCommando are you using?
- did you set up your microphone using windows speech recognition control panel?
- you must set your default recording device using windows sound settings.

It's possible that the error is not actually caused by the microphone, but is only generated when we try to connect to the microphone and start listening to commands.  Usually this would be a language problem.  More recent version may handle this better.

- What language are you using as Windows Display Language
- What language are you using as Windows default for Speech Recognition
- What language is selected in VoxCommando Options at the bottom left of the "General" tab

Usually the safest way to get started is to have everything set to en-US  (English United states).  If it is possible you should start with this and then we can look at possibly using another language.  Using other languages is very much possible, but it complicates things a lot.

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »
Hey,

Thank you for your fast reply. I am using an dutch version of windows 7 premium. in this version it is not possible to do something and configurate with speech recognition because it is not supported, I am using vox commando 0.851 Ill hope you have some other suggestions. I will try to setup the mic in an other way

greetz Jeroen

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
You need to have at least one language installed on your OS that supports speech recognition (I recommend English).  That is why you are getting an error (in the future VC will give a better error  :bonk).

If you have windows ultimate, (or some other versions of windows), you can download language packs.

Languages that support speech recognition are: English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and German.

If you can't download language packs with your version of Windows, I have heard of hacks that will allow you to do it.  I have not tested these hacks, nor do I officially support them, so I cannot help you with that.  Sorry.   :'(

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
ok it works!!! I have succeeded to get the english package working in win 7 premium. Vox commando works just fine. Only i have one big question!!! how can vox commando work with the commands i will give wmc. I dont understand the program. In the edit directory of your program stands on the left side some commands for wmc. But how will it work with wmc. I want the same as in the great german demo video. But how can i make my own commands and link them to wmc.

greetz.

jeroen.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »
First of all you need to install the VMC plugin: http://www.voxcommando.com/downloadVMC.asp

creating your own commands, and understanding the command tree:

and
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=How_to_use_VoxCommando

you need to make the sure WMC groups are in the active command tree and move any groups you don't need to the bin.

after making any changes to the command tree you need to save, and then close and restart VC.

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
ok thank you for the reply. I have installed vmc and i will read and see the intructions you have made. i let you know how the proces is going. Is it also possible to make dutch command for wmc?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Yes it is possible to use any language for your phrases even if you are running with the english speech engine, but success will vary from word to word and will depend on your accent.  In some cases over time it will learn to understand you better as you repeat commands.  You should spell your commands phonetically using only the standard english alphabet (no accented characters).  As I have often said on this forum you should think to yourself: "how would I spell this so that an American would read it and pronounce the word correctly.

So as an example I will use French:  If you wanted to make a command "Qu'est-ce que c'est", you would want to experiment with different spellings like, "Kess ke say".  I'm not sure about the "ke".

The advantage of using the English engine over other languages is that most people have a lot of media with English titles.

Finally you should note that the capabilities with WMC are somewhat limited.  You should consider using XBMC if you want more control over Movies and TV etc.

I am basically limited by what the VMC plugin can do and it is not really being developed any more AFAIK.

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »
Hello,

De commands build in your program in combination with wmc works perfectly. But now something else. On the main paige of wmc you can see several things like tv, music. I dont now how to make an command for example "my tv" and then the recorded show page appears. I tryed several things but none will work. I dont know what the right commands or parameters are for that button. And how to fill in the command builder?

Bye the way. now i am using kinemote and your program combined. this is awesome. Ill hope the mic on the kinect device will go to work in the future.

greetz ,

Jeroen

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
The setup for Windows Media Center has become very much out of date.

If you can wait a day or two, I am going to upload version 0.871 and I will include with it an up to date configuration for WMC.

In the mean time I suggest you just play around and become familiar with the basic concepts, but don't spend too much time actually customizing your command structure until I upload the new version.

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »
Ok that will be great. Thank you for all the help you have given me. one more question: I have a bluetooth headset for an telephone. Will this headset work with an bluetooth dongle that i can stick in my htpc?

greetz Jeroen

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
Ok that will be great. Thank you for all the help you have given me. one more question: I have a bluetooth headset for an telephone. Will this headset work with an bluetooth dongle that i can stick in my htpc?

greetz Jeroen

Hi chili123,

Bluetooth does not work well, since the audio data are highly compressed. Wireless headsets are equipped with WiFi 2.4 GHz from Plantronics or Logitech is the better way, they have a longer range and work well.

Greetings
Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »
thanx for your reply. ill hope that the mics of the kinect controller can to the job in the future. Maybe the distance could be a problem.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
Thank you very much. this is great. I find out that in the goto command in the payload section My tv is missing. I thought i put in in manually but thatbis not working. Vox commando is responding on the command but my tv recordings dont come up. I am doing something wrong that for sure. Can you put it in the payload?

greetz Jeroen.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »
hmmm...

MyTV doesn't seem to work.  The documentation for VMC plugin is pretty bad.  TVguide and recordedTV seem to work though (I just experimented based on the window names on the WMC home screen.

You can add them yourself or put the attached file into your payloads directory, overwriting the old one.

chili123

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 04:35:16 AM »
Thank you so very much. Now it is working the way i want it. in combination with kinemote and the kinect sensor i m as happy as a little child. hopefully the microfoon of the kinect sensor is going to work soon. And of course i hope it is powerfull enough to receive my voice command in a good way to work.

greetz Jeroen

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »
It sounds like it is almost time to make a youtube demo!  Have fun with it.