Author Topic: Room by Room Wifi?  (Read 3314 times)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Room by Room Wifi?
« on: December 30, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »
Im looking for a really good system for occupancy sensing through smart devices. Ive read up on bluetooth but it doesnt seem like it would work well. Im planning to eventually get a smartwatch and would love to have things follow me around with high accuracy.

For example if i walk into my living room i would like to use tasker to send a command to voxcommando that im in the room and vox should turn on the lights to my prefered brightness, Turn on the TV, the receiver turn on to my prefered volume, amplifier turn on, plex switch to my profile, from there i could use a mix of voice control for plex app, voxcommando, evenghost, and tasker to adjust levels on a per need basis. I would want a system that could track which room im in room by room though the watch.

I would eventually need to get more devices for the entire family though. We have 6 members in 1 home. I think this will be a challenge later on with conflicts between multiple devices in 1 room at a time. But it would be cool to have the lighting and volume adjust to an average for which devices are in the room and dependent on what time it is.

TL;DR

Need high accuracy room by room occupancy detection with support for smartwatch to control a wide range of apps.

2exclusive

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Room by Room Wifi?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:53 AM »
you can look into iBeacon, but this would only work with iOS devices I believe. you can use estimote beacons from estimote.com. This would also be good for the iwatch. so you can walk through the house with your watch on and ibeacon will trigger different events based on which room your in.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
NFC tags?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 01:40:23 AM »
you can look into iBeacon, but this would only work with iOS devices I believe. you can use estimote beacons from estimote.com. This would also be good for the iwatch. so you can walk through the house with your watch on and ibeacon will trigger different events based on which room your in.

ive seen the esitmote ibeacons but do you think they would work throughout the entire house its 2000 sq. foot. And just how accurate are they? could it tell like which side of the couch im sitting on from 2 rooms away?  That would be awesome to have my lamps turn on dependent to which side im sitting on.

NFC tags?

Nfc requires very close proximity though. I would rather it have very long range if possible.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
do you think they would work throughout the entire house its 2000 sq. foot.
Based on the info on their website, no.

could it tell like which side of the couch im sitting on from 2 rooms away?
Based on the info on their website, no, it won't be able to tell you anything from 2 rooms away.  But yes, maybe it could tell which end of the couch you were sitting on if you set it up in a single room which is what it is designed for.  I guess it depends on the size and location of your couch.

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
Based on the info on their website, no.
Based on the info on their website, no, it won't be able to tell you anything from 2 rooms away.  But yes, maybe it could tell which end of the couch you were sitting on if you set it up in a single room which is what it is designed for.  I guess it depends on the size and location of your couch.

Oh ok i was thinking these were like a triangulation system or something and thats why they came with 3 of them devices.  :bonk

Ok so these look pretty cool then. I will probably have to pick up a couple sets of these and check them out. hopefully i can get everything rolling the way im wanting to. Thanks for the help.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 01:16:33 PM »
Oh ok i was thinking these were like a triangulation system or something and thats why they came with 3 of them devices.

Yes it looks like they are in fact using some kind of triangulation system, but they are designed to operate in a smaller area.  One room, one beacon on each wall.  All of this kind of the info is on their website.

I have no idea what would be involved in setting up multiple sets in multiple rooms, or how you would tie it into other software like VoxCommando though.

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
Any news on this?
I was able tinker a low cost beacon (<10€), which my android phone detects without problems, but I can't find an app that lets me trigger events. I probably need tasker, but neither bt near state nor the iBeacon Tasker plugin works. With the apps Auto Beacon and Beacon Buddy I am able to to trigger events, but they both don't work when screen is off...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
If you can tell me more about the beacon you made, maybe I can find a way to detect it in VoxWav and trigger an event from there.

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 06:41:27 PM »
Hey James, That would be great!  ;D

I use HM-10 Bluetooth-Moduls (got 2 of them for 10.40$ at AliExpress) and configured them as iBeacons. All you need for this is an FTDI-Adapter (e.g. the one you use to program an Arduinio pro mini). The HM-10 operates at a supply voltage from 2.0 to 3.7 V and should work with 2 AA Batteries approximately 1 year (or ~ 2 month with a coin cell).

Configuration is very well explained here and done in a few minutes:
http://www.blueluminance.com/HM-10-as-iBeacon.pdf

If you decide to implement it in VoxWav, it would be great if an event is triggered everytime the nearest beacon changes, since the range is at least several meters even if I lower the RF Power to the minimum of -23dB. So in my small flat, I can detect the beacon from everywhere  :o
Alternatively the event could only be triggered if the signal strength is above a certain level.