Author Topic: A way to list all gems in the forums  (Read 3433 times)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
A way to list all gems in the forums
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
I was thinking maybe we need kind of a table (maybe a page in the wiki)  grouped by topics that list all commands been shared an developed in the forums ... Either links to the forum or copies of ready to download xml files

I know inititialy this what the xml exchange forum is about ... But there are many gems scattered around the forums in plug-ins and other part ...

I have seen that in a site for a similar program and thought it is really good for VC ... And will help newbies to find ready commands easily

I know James and nime5ter already have a lot on their plate so maybe one of the moderators can take such a task ...
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: A way to list all gems in the forums
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »
It's a good idea, but I think it would be best is this were a board, or thread in the forum that anyone could add to.  Ideally each post would be a short description with a link to another forum thread.

Of course it won't take long for it to devolve into a discussion. This always seems to happen on a forum.

Getting the moderators to handle it won't help much since jitterjames and nime5ter are the moderators for the most part.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
If thread in xml exchange ... Should be locked, sticky and handful people can add (or just you and nime5ter) to avoid evolving into discussion or it will end another xml exchange

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 10:10:30 PM »
You ask, we deliver. You now have full control over the Haddood's Gems board in the Voxnastics section.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »

You ask, we deliver. You now have full control over the Haddood's Gems board in the Voxnastics section.

:o :o :o :o :bonk :bonk :bonk :bonk :bonk

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 03:40:35 AM »

I thought it was a jock  ::) ::)... Just saw the forum today ... It is gonna take a while to scan the forums again !

It's a good idea, but I think it would be best is this were a board, or thread in the forum that anyone could add to.  Ideally each post would be a short description with a link to another forum thread.

Of course it won't take long for it to devolve into a discussion. This always seems to happen on a forum.

Getting the moderators to handle it won't help much since jitterjames and nime5ter are the moderators for the most part.

Let me know guys what do you think of the way I am organizing the stuff

Is there is a way to make a thread sticky ?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:01:56 AM by Haddood »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
Wow. You've been busy. Looks like you're doing a great job. And yes, so far the organization makes sense to me.

I've stickied your explanatory post (the feature was temporarily disabled).

Since English is not your native tongue, I may occasionally edit your posts if the spelling or grammar seems unclear. Otherwise, it's your baby.

Thanks for taking on this mammoth task. I hope the VC community will appreciate and make good use of it.

If you have a TV-related thread, posts that I recommend are:
Mace's guide to setting up Live TV with XBMC and VC: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1074.msg9015#msg9015

And for our German users, this post scrapes TV guide information from a German website: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1074.msg11945#msg11945 (users will still need to translate the command and payload XML into German for themselves)

And this post and the next does the same from a Dutch site: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1074.msg11924#msg11924

thx!
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »
Great work so far.  Keep it up! :D

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »

I've stickied your explanatory post (the feature was temporarily disabled).

Since English is not your native tongue, I may occasionally edit your posts if the spelling or grammar seems unclear. Otherwise, it's your baby

Thanks ....

And yes please ... My grammar and paragraphs are not clear in all languages I speak. Verbal communication is not my forte  ::)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »
couple of questions:

Hey Haddood. Of course we appreciate your enthusiasm and hard work but please don't get carried away trying to list everything.

For example, this is a really old post with commands that are included and most likely more up to date in the default configurations that ship with VoxCommando.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Default_VoxCommando_Configurations

first, if this happen you want me to delete the post (or you can delete it) or we put a comment (in the same post, to keep the forum to neat) saying it is obsolete, see the post you are talking about (I think listing old solutions might provide inspiration for newer solutions)...

second, what is more preferable, grouping similar command in one post like in this: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1793.msg15597#msg15597
or keeping each command in its own post?

PS: I am discussing in this thread to keep the other forum discussion free

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »
I think we can delete that one old command reference. I'll do so now.

I like them grouped in one post, when you can. It may not always make sense.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »
couple of questions:(I think listing old solutions might provide inspiration for newer solutions)...

I don't think this is a good idea.  If your lists get too long and you are linking to absolutely everything, then you are just creating a copy of the forum.  We called it "gems" because we want it to be good stuff only.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »

I like them grouped in one post, when you can. It may not always make sense.

that is my preference as well ..

We called it "gems" because we want it to be good stuff only.

totally agree ... then I will try to figure out what to link ... and feel free to delete as I don't know everything about VC like you guys
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:22:36 PM by Haddood »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
I was thinking maybe we need kind of a table (maybe a page in the wiki)  grouped by topics that list all commands been shared an developed in the forums ... Either links to the forum or copies of ready to download xml files

@Haddood -- Originally, you described wanting an organized table or list of useful command xml in one place. Now it looks like you may be branching out into system-level discussions?

I think we need to contain the extent to which we duplicate what's already on the forum.

Having a centralized list of good, non-standard commands makes sense to me. However, it will be impossible to keep up the "gems" index if its parameters become too wide, and I suspect it will become frustrating for you in short order.

Sound OK?

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »

I think we need to contain the extent to which we duplicate what's already on the forum.

Having a centralized list of good, non-standard commands makes sense to me. However, it will be impossible to keep up the "gems" index if its parameters become too wide, and I suspect it will become frustrating for you in short order.

Sound OK?

I am with you. however some of the stuff falls in grey zone ... like the Sonos+VC+Vera ... for me it is more system rather than a command ... so I was not sure to include or not (however I did) ... I think it is going to take me few trials and errors (posts and deletes, and comments) to figure the exact scope that we are looking for in the Gems forum ... however things are getting clearer now ...

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 08:48:36 PM »
Agreed. :) Thanks again for all your work on this!