Author Topic: Wearables Prototypes (Ring)  (Read 2309 times)

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Wearables Prototypes (Ring)
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
OK I know VC is totally a Voice Control app, but this is way too cool to overlook... because honestly there are just times I don't feel like speaking.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1761670738/ring-shortcut-everything

Yes I have backed the project and hope to see my device by July.  Hoping with the TCP pluggin I will be able to integrate Ring to activate commands by gesture.. not expecting it to replace voice control but a few basics like spinning finger clockwise for volume up or counterclockwise for volume down, swipe left or right to scroll through media, etc.  I feel the future of the media center and smart home will not be voice control alone but a culmination of voice, wear-ables, and telepathy (ok last one is a wish).
“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Wearables Prototypes (Ring)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
I feel the future of the media center and smart home will not be voice control alone but a culmination of voice, wear-ables, and telepathy (ok last one is a wish).

It's definitely interesting to see the direction that so-called wearables are starting to take. Early days yet, of course.

I agree with you about multiple means of control. In general, it seems counterproductive to limit our thinking or practice to one particular form of interaction. Here we're pretty reliant on VC, but the remote control, mouse, and keyboard are still way more sensible for certain things and we use those regularly as well.

I often think of it not in terms of what's fun for those with disposable incomes, but what might be practically useful for those who really benefit from having more flexible options.

Voice control can make a substantial day-to-day difference for those who may not have fine motor control -- or much motor control at all. On the other hand, there will be others for whom voice control isn't feasible -- e.g., I doubt Stephen Hawking would have much luck with VoxCommando. ;)

I like the idea of having some kind of gestural way to turn a mic on and off, and volume up and down. It would be nice if it were something low on energy consumption and obviously reliable. What could be cool about something like your One Ring to Rule Them All, in some imaginary future scenario where they support a wider range of development options, is if it means that you could make those gestures wherever you are in the room or house in order to turn the mic on and the volume down etc. That would be significant advantage compared to, say, a Kinect or a Leap Motion controller.

... So Google Glass, and now the ring. What's next on your list?

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »
Nine5ter,
I am scheduled for my Borg implants in early 2045... all kidding aside I try to justify this all as research to become a home automation value added reseller with VC and integrations at the core of my product offerings... software and equipment ala carte but setup and experience as a service.  Currently I see the market as fractured in that you can voice or smartphone control many different things but each has it's own proprietary app, where as the ability to use a single fully integrated solution is ideal... get rid of 12 remote controls with one universal controller.

Sean
“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »
Here is the best one. 

Seriously though, if only we could have the power to actually create the device we want, instead of always having to try to repurpose someone else's device...

I know you were joking about the telepathic device, but really, I think this is where speech recognition will ultimately lead.  Funny thing there though, is that I bet we will still have to worry about "noise", and will probably need some kind of physical switch to tell it, OK I am really thinking about what I want now, not just daydreaming.  DO IT!

"Are you sure that is what you are thinking?"

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 06:25:13 AM »
I know you were joking about the telepathic device, but really, I think this is where speech recognition will ultimately lead.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tanttle/emotiv-insight-optimize-your-brain-fitness-and-per?ref=most_funded
***********  get excited and make things  **********