Author Topic: hope add Multi-Language  (Read 4583 times)

Sooloom

• $upporter
    • View Profile
hope add Multi-Language
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
It would be better used  :)

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: hope add Multi-Language
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
What languages would you want then ?

I know that Vox is dependable on the supported speech-recognition languages in windows.

As far as I know those would be :

US English
UK English
French
Spanish
German
Japanese
Traditional Chinese
Simplified Chinese

Currently Vox is in English only.

We have already discussed this with James (the developer of Vox Commando) and I believe it is his intention to translate vox in the above languages only.
Although it is really easy to translate it to all possible languages.

James will give you a definite answer to this though, stay tuned.

Regards
Auri
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
VoxCommando should work using any of these languages as speech input but of course I can't really test them all since I don't speak most of these languages.  If you want to use these languages for speech it is up to you to modify the phrases to suit your needs.  Our German and Portuguese and French users have done this with some commands.

The interface will remain English until at least version 1.0.  There are too many changes taking place every week, and trying to maintain multiple languages is too confusing.

Auri, what do you mean when you say "Although it is really easy to translate it to all possible languages."?  This is a bold statement and I don't agree with it, but maybe I'm not understanding your intention. 

Even translating to a single extra language is a challenge.  Apart from the actual translation the new language must then be integrated into the interface itself.  There are many many buttons, tool-tips, pop-ups, settings etc.  It is a very time consuming task.  Then there is the question of the descriptions for the hundreds of available actions.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:42 AM »
Of course, it would be cool a version in all languages, but you should not forget that James is not Microsoft and probably can not live with the revenue of Voxcommando. I am amazed at how James all packed, family, work, etc., and VC. I think each of us can so much English that he understands the basics of VC, the rest you can just try and use the forum (and google-tanslater for myself).
I myself have started to write a manual in German, and believe me, it costs a lot of time and also be the version changes very often, as the constantly added new features or enhancements. I started with version 0825 or 0833 and that is only 5 months ago, and we are in 0879. I will wait with my manual on the 1.0 version, the basic things I have written.

Greetings Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
VoxCommando should work using any of these languages as speech input but of course I can't really test them all since I don't speak most of these languages.  If you want to use these languages for speech it is up to you to modify the phrases to suit your needs.  Our German and Portuguese and French users have done this with some commands.

The interface will remain English until at least version 1.0.  There are too many changes taking place every week, and trying to maintain multiple languages is too confusing.

Auri, what do you mean when you say "Although it is really easy to translate it to all possible languages."?  This is a bold statement and I don't agree with it, but maybe I'm not understanding your intention. 

Even translating to a single extra language is a challenge.  Apart from the actual translation the new language must then be integrated into the interface itself.  There are many many buttons, tool-tips, pop-ups, settings etc.  It is a very time consuming task.  Then there is the question of the descriptions for the hundreds of available actions.

What I mean with that james is that we have the XLS files (you know which one) where you have a column for each language (it can be any language) and someone can just translate the column, hence my statement "in theory it can be really easy to add any language in Vox".

Thats what I meant :op

Regards
Auri
Challenge us at your own peril!

hedinn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »
How would one change a few words?

Like i want to add a few words in my native language for only XBMC so i need only a few words changed for normal browsing. Anyone here know how i could do that? by either adding a new language or overwriting the english ones.

Thanks in advance

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
How would one change a few words?

Like i want to add a few words in my native language for only XBMC so i need only a few words changed for normal browsing. Anyone here know how i could do that? by either adding a new language or overwriting the english ones.

Thanks in advance
Hi hedinn,

for overwrite the phrases - click "edit" in mainmenue, then you see the Command-Tree with the groups. Click on the "+" of the group for do you want change the phrase.
Click on the "text" right of the pencil-symbol, and change the text with your own phrases, save and restart VoxCommando. Thats all  ;)

Take a look here   http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=How_to_use_VoxCommando

Greetings Kalle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »
click edit, and then edit the phrases in the tree.  You can create multiple phrases for the same command by using commas.

see this for more info:
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=How_to_use_VoxCommando#VoxCommando_Tree_Editor

using multiple languages simultaneously is tricky.  As far as the speech recognition engine goes, you can only use one language at a time, but by spelling words phonetically and doing a little training you can add a few commands in other languages even if you are using the English recognition engine.  If possible it is recommended to use the English engine since so many popular titles of music songs, albums, artists and movies are in English.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »
HAHA, Kalle, you beat me by a couple of seconds  ;D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »
HAHA, Kalle, you beat me by a couple of seconds  ;D

YES, happy Eastern  ;D

But cool, two people, one idea  :D

hedinn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
Thank you guys :)

I just bought the program, i am loving it :)

So i can do that? would i not need to record my voice saying the words?

I do not think the program understands my language which is Icelandic. hehe

Regards, Hedinn

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
Thank you guys :)

I just bought the program, i am loving it :)

So i can do that? would i not need to record my voice saying the words?

I do not think the program understands my language which is Icelandic. hehe

Regards, Hedinn

He cool from Iceland,

welcome in the forum. VoxCommando understand the languages ​​that are installed on Windows, I think Icelandic is not there. You can build your phrases trying to adapt something:
Example: English -> Play song - Icelandic -> spila lagið --- try to write as it is pronounced in English. Wenn you have Google-chrome-browser installed, use the google translater, there can you even listen to pronunciation.

Good luck / Gangi þér vel  :D

Kalle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »
It helps to do Windows Speech training in English.  then VC (VoxCommando) should learn to understand you better as you use it, if you select "Learn" at the top right of the main VC window.

hedinn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »
Yeah ok.

Thank you both for your input. VC understands me perfectly when I speak English though - I think i will stick to English for now :)

Regards from Iceland.

ps: Kalle: Já takk kærlega fyrir það ;)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
Yeah ok.

Thank you both for your input. VC understands me perfectly when I speak English though - I think i will stick to English for now :)

Regards from Iceland.

ps: Kalle: Já takk kærlega fyrir það ;)

No Problem  :D