Author Topic: Assistance with VoxWav  (Read 2793 times)

dxxpublic

• View Profile
Assistance with VoxWav
« on: December 09, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
Good day,

Yesterday i installed the voxcommando v2 trial and the vox on my cellphone to evaluate it for my home automation project.

I installed voxcommando with no issues and created a couple of events and using my computers headset works like a charm.

I tried to use it using voxwav but im always getting an error that could not connect to TCP.   I followed the instructions to install the TCPmic plugin on the voxcommando and on the voxwav i use the little antenna icon, and i dont do anything else.  Whenever i press the button i get the error. 

What can be problem?

Thanks

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Assistance with VoxWav
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
Welcome dxxpublic,

I'll just start by making sure I understand the situation fully. Please don't mind the questions that seem obvious.

1. When you say that you installed vox on your phone, I assume you mean VoxWav Free because you're referring to the antenna setting, but can you please confirm?

2. Did you for sure enable the TcpMic plugin in VC, and not the TCP plugin? It has happened many times that other users have confused the two different plugins.

3. If you enabled the correct plugin, did you restart VC after enabling the TcpMic plugin before testing VoxWav Free? (If not, try it.)

4. What do you mean when you say you "use the little antenna option" and don't do anything else. When you click on the antenna, what do you see? You *should* see a popup that tells you to pick a host IP, and then lists the IP address of the computer running VC. Then you should select that IP address.

Once you've done that, then the VoxWav title bar will show the IP address in parentheses beside the app logo, and you can start issuing commands

Is this what is happening? If you're only seeing "Pick a host IP" without an IP address listed, the most common problems are either:
a. the TcpMic plugin is not enabled in VC
b. wifi is not working on the phone (no LAN access)

5. Does your phone have wifi enabled/access to your LAN? (as opposed to relying on a 3G or 4G mobile internet connection)
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

dxxpublic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:44:52 PM »
Hi nime5ster, thanks for taking the time to reply.  Below my answers.

1. Yes, i meant voxWav

2. Yes i actually made that mistake but i found on the forums that its Tcpmic and corrected it

3. Yes, i did i actually used the fully restart option and also closed the aplication and opened it manually again

4. When i click on the antenna, i get 2 IPs of the system with Windows 8.1 that has the VC installed. I have tried with any of them

5. Yes both devices are on the same network (LAN)

One thing to mention is this im using a VPN client (Private Internet access) on the Windows server, therefore i get 2 ip addresses, i think one if for the virtual device it creates for the tunnel and the other one if for the physical card. I make sure i disconnect the VPN client and close it and also have tried with both ips and still nothing. I dont know if that has to do with it or not, it should not but i might be wrong

Thanks

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
Thanks for the extra information.

Yes, it may be related to the VPN. Unfortunately I can't help with that. I know that James has used VoxWav over a VPN without issue, but it probably depends how it's set up.

By default, VC is listening on port 33339. Could it be that this port is being blocked, or is it possible that something else is using that port on your W8.1 machine running VC?

I assume you would have mentioned if you'd changed any of the default port settings. :)

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

dxxpublic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 04:43:15 PM »
Now, the VPN is a client and ive tried with it closed.  I will check FW and i will report back, making sure i open that port.  Thanks

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »
Yes, always a good idea to check the firewall. Maybe even turn off the firewall entirely for testing purposes.

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

dxxpublic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 11:35:57 PM »
I disabled all the Virtual nics and worked like a charm. Thanks man. Can close this

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:44:16 AM »
Super. Thanks for the update.